Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: What am I missing on GVWR??
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> What am I missing on GVWR??

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
CharlesinGA

South of Atlanta, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/19 06:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

larkyblast wrote:

Tires are 265/70R17E 2731 lbs. So does that mean for the pair of rear tires I have 5462 lbs of capacity? Well under what the axle can handle... what a flaw of initial design...

You do not have Light Truck tires. What you have are NON-LT, possibly P series tires. Were they original to the truck? or did you install them.

LT265/70R17E tires will be rated 3195 lbs at 80 PSI.

Charles

larkyblast

calgary

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/19 08:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well looks like it will be the northstar for us.
The dealer with the 720 was offended by my offer, but given the build quality inside the unit, there is no way I was paying close to list. I already had another dealer willing to order me one for slightly more than I offered the local dealer, but we decided the wait is just too long.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/19 08:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

I love the freedom that I have with a cassette toilet. I do not empty at McDonalds or a friends house. But there are outhouses in almost every national park, national forest or on BLM lands. Even staying in campgrounds, dumping can be difficult. At Yellowstone, for example, there are no dumps at Norris, at either of the Lamar Valley campgrounds or at the big campground at Mammoth. I dump every couple of days and if I stay at one of the campgrounds mentioned above, I would stop at an outhouse during the day and dump. I can also easily dump in one of the campground rest room toilets. I do pick a time when no one else is using the facilities. The smell is minimal when using a even a small amount of chemicals but I still want to be considerate of others. I can also dump my gray water using a 5 gallon pail. When traveling alone, I typically use 1 gallon of water for a daily shower and about 2 gallons for drinking and cooking. Most of the water does end up in the grey tank, but I can still get by with dumping a pail every day or so.

Wow, I need to remember to read with care while eating my breakfast....**** near lost it!
F that! If I had to physically dump a can of sht into a tank of sht every day or 2, I’d just sht where I’m dumping it and cut out the middle man!
BARF!!!

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/19 11:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Takes rv forum to convert GVWR topic into stinky business.
I love my black water tank on TC, who gives me easy a week or 2 when I am alone between dumping and I like to use lot of water to avoid skid marks. Using Sewer Solution it is clean dump as well.
But next year I plan to spend days on boat, cruising Lake Powell and I will have to get one of those cassette toilets.
So since we are already after breakfast, what is the difference to composting toilet?

joerg68

St. Ingbert, Germany

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/19 11:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The composting toilet separates liquid waste from solids. The solids are then composted (allegedly without odor). The compost needs to be removed after a while and can be used as ... compost. The liquids need to be dumped frequently - but apparently that is not a huge problem.
I have not had one or used one, but I have heard good things about them from people who do.

All of these concepts have their pros and cons. The black tank did not work well for us. We had to stop by the local dump station at the end of every trip, for one. But the good thing is that everyone gets to pick the solution they like best.

2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

notsobigjoe

southeast

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/19 12:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

larkyblast wrote:

The dealer with the 720 was offended by my offer, but given the build quality inside the unit, there is no way I was paying close to list. I already had another dealer willing to order me one for slightly more than I offered the local dealer, but we decided the wait is just too long.

Northstar is the best choice I think. We looked at a couple last year cause the 1181 has run it's course as far as weight and hauling and we don't use it anymore because it's such a mammoth. Believe it or not but the older we get the less time we want to be in it. Anyway good luck!

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/19 12:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for explanation Joerg. Sounds to me no matter what you use- it is still stinky business. I am surprised you need to empty your black so often on new camper.
I just double check and my 2002 Lance has 16 gallons=60l black tank. That can last and I did own ClasC with 5 gallons tank.
Still, even that was 18 years ago, German rest areas have "skier-type restroom" and my DW keep talking how the system start flushing before she left.
I can only assume -dumping even after each trip beats that experience.

joerg68

St. Ingbert, Germany

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/19 01:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The cassette has ...20? liters. You really wouldn't want more, as that thing gets heavy. Which is the main reason why we usually dump it daily - half a cassette is much easier to handle. Plus, you are always good to go for the next two days, no matter what. For the same reason we try to keep the grey tank pretty empty at all times. The grey tank in our Arrow is quite small... we shower inside, wash our dishes, etc. and we do not waste water - but it will last little more than 2 days.

The fresh water tank is good for up to a week.

One advantage of the Thetford cassette in the Northstar is the fact that it has its own rinse water tank. You can fill it with antifreeze and use the toilet without dewinterizing the fresh water system.

woodhog

NS

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/19 07:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

larkyblast wrote:

You probably have seen this before?

Mellow Mike's Northstar on a Dodge 3500 Short Box...

2004.5 Dodge 4x4 SRW Diesel, 245/70R19.5 Michelin XDS2, Bilstein Shocks
Torklift Stable loads, BD Steering Stabilizer Bar, Superchips "TOW" Programed,Rickson 19.5 wheels

2006 8.5 Northstar Arrow, 3 Batteries 200 Watts Solar,
12 Volt DC Fridge.

larkyblast

calgary

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/19 02:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Update: We bought the cirrus 820. It ended up being about the same price as the northstar but was a 3 hour closer drive and had the Alde heat so we gave up on the cassette toilet.
Already I am wondering if I should have held out for a lighter camper, but it drove home ok. We weighed before and after pickup and are 100lbs under the max weight for the rear, but I am definitely going to need to make some suspension upgrades. Now to decide whether it's airbags, timbrens sway bar ect.
We love the interior and have slept in it two nights so far on the weekend.
Back out this weekend so we can try everything out since those two night were literally just crashing, didn't use the shower or stove or fridge even.
Thanks again for all of the advice.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> What am I missing on GVWR??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS