Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Dealer Service Rant
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Dealer Service Rant

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
dalej

texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/06/19 05:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have been disappointed lately with dealer service. It seems that they find a lot of other items that need attention. Does anyone know if service writers work on commission.

2005 Chevy HD2500, ext cab, 4x4, 8.1, allison,lwb,srw, 265 75 16's, timbrens

1968mooney

Fl.

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/19 05:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HadEnough wrote:

I can relate to these problems. Anytime I take anything in to be fixed by someone else they break something else. Or they do a half assed job. It’s just not worth it to take it in anymore. Nobody can take any pride in their work.

I had taken my truck in to get a misdiagnosed leaky rear seal fixed. My transmission never worked right for a year after that. It was like the synchros didn't work. The whole time I had been thinking of random problems it could have been, because the mechanic actually mentioned that I have very expensive transmission fluid and they were going to buy a bottle of that to top it off. And I give them my blessing. As it turns out, they charged me for the expensive transmission fluid but put something else in. Some unknown substance. Because I finally drained out that transmission after not finding any other problems, replaced with the proper synchromesh fluid, and low and behold About 300 miles later, my transmission is fixed. My fluid is a clear substance. A murky brown substance like motor oil is what came out when I drained it. They filled it with some random fluid.

With my Dodge ram 2500, I had been taking it in to get things done in the interest of saving time. As it turns out, every single time I had to fix something they broke or didn’t correctly do. So it save me no time at all. It’s just wasted my money. And the mark up on the parts is unbelievable. 300% of retail and you know they are buying at a huge discount from retail.

It’s the same with everything right now. The less and less people know how to fix their own things, the more these people can charge. And the less pressure there is for them to do a good job.

I, for one am finished with all mechanics. No one is fixing my truck except me. That’s why you will have found me in the corner of an AutoZone parking lot last weekend doing my front brakes. And guess what? No squeaking, no pulling, smooth perfect braking I know I can trust.

Why don't you open a business and fix other peoples vehicles for a fee? As good as you are, I bet you could get RICH doing BRAKES. [emoticon]

Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/19 05:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dalej wrote:

Have been disappointed lately with dealer service. It seems that they find a lot of other items that need attention. Does anyone know if service writers work on commission.

I don't know the details, but essentially YES! The service writers make more money, the more they get customers to authorize work.

For many car dealerships, they actually make more money from their service center than they do from selling cars.

parker.rowe

Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/19 06:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are definitely good and bad dealer mechanics out there. I have two good stories.

We had the timing chains done in our old Traverse under warranty. The guy who did the work broke the huge plastic apron under the hood in half and put it back on in two pieces. and left the battery box open (its in the interior on those trucks, in front of the back seat)

I popped the hood when we got home to check for leaks (I do all my own work unless something is under warrantee) and drove it right back and showed the service manager. He apologized and ordered a new one for me.

Then it started getting a random knocking noise that would come and go. Took them months to find it. Turned out the guy left the tensioner bolt loose and it walked out...only thing stopping it from falling off and cause catastrophic engine failure was the fact that it hit the timing cover.

The dealer was very helpful in getting things resolved. He told me the guy who did the work was long gone because he had so many comebacks.

Second story...my FIL brought his miata in for an oil change, and they did everything but put new oil in it. Test drove it after, started making noise, so the tech brought it back and put oil in it.

Service manage told my FIL about it though and told him to let him know if there where any problems. Blew the engine on the way home and the dealer had to replace it. He asked them to do the clutch while it was part for the inconvenience and they refused.
I was amazed. Dealer cost on the parts isn't that high and the hard part of the labor was already done! They would have to pull the old clutch anyway to transfer it to the replacement motor, so not extra labour at all!
I would have been al over the chance to make a customer happy with $200 in parts and no extra labour, but I guess they didn't want to go any further in the hole after messing up a $40 oil change.

My best friend, however, is a great A tech. My father was too when he was still working. Fast, make great money flat rate, but low low comebacks. Can't make any money on flat rate fixing what you already fixed once!

2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/19 08:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Speaking of flat rate... the flat rate book is a primary reason for hastily done work. In recent years, it has become more and more unrealistic, especially for warranty jobs. I know guys who left the trade because they simply can't make any money at it anymore, and these are competent, conscientious mechanics with years of experience.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

parker.rowe

Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/19 09:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

drsteve wrote:

Speaking of flat rate... the flat rate book is a primary reason for hastily done work. In recent years, it has become more and more unrealistic, especially for warranty jobs. I know guys who left the trade because they simply can't make any money at it anymore, and these are competent, conscientious mechanics with years of experience.

I can see where that might be the case sometimes. I've seen plenty of hourly techs do terrible work too. Some techs just don't care, and they usually bounce from dealer to dealer too. You get good and bad workers in ever industry.

My friend seems to consistently do 70hrs a week of quality flat rate work, some weeks even more. This is at a busy Nissan dealer.

I can't see a good mechanic making really good money without flat rate.

He as been doing it for almost 20 years. We aren't that old so there are definitely mechanics that have been in the business way longer.

I was only in the business for 2-3 years as an hourly tech doing basic stuff. Now I sit in front of a computer at home all day writing code.

I guess my point is, not all mechanics are crooks, and some of the good ones do work at dealers. But I too have had and heard my fair share of horror stories.

ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/06/19 09:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been very happy and fortunate w/ the Ford dealer I use for warranty service. Even tho I didn't buy last 2 trucks from the, they have been good about fixing the wrongs. When I bought my '03 6.uh-oh from them, they did a bang up job on fixing it and the tech was super honest. On current truck, have only heard from them ONCE in the past year yet where I go to, get flyers all the time from them.

Going back to '91-'92 era, had a '91 GMC 454 which we bought 150 miles away when we lived there and the service dep't was AWESOME beyond belief!!!. Job ended and moved away. Took it to a local GMC dealer for oil change. Picked it up and bill said 5 qts. Popped the hood and sure nuff, lox on oil (held 7 qts). Went right back in, told service writer and he got mech to check/add oil. DUH !!! Same truck, few months later, diff dealer, had them do a wheel alignment. When done, they told me it would still pull due to the tires. Took it to a full service alignment shop and said, dealer never did it cuz shims were never removed. Truck went down road straight as an arrow compared to dealer. When I brought this to the attention of dealer (service writer), he basically told me to leave the shop and to come thru showroom door and not service door. It was ok as I never went back and now are out of business.

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/19 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ACZL-like the story of the alignment. Had a (mechanic) align my Blazer. When I got home I found some tires with 50# and some with 20# of air. I had checked them all before I took it in and they were all at 35#. They went out of business as well.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/19 10:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AS with any business you need to develop a relationship with the tech.
Sure I can go to any shop in town, but it pays to develop a relationship with a reliable shop.
That relationship becomes invaluable when you are in a pickle, otherwise you are just another number with a problem.
I do a lot of my own repairs but I try to develop relationship for all my repair needs sure it occasionally cost me more on an individual repair , but in the long run I think it's beneficial.

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Old Days

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/19 11:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had new Firestone tires on my Subaru, took it in for free tire rotation a week later I open the hood and see that they took the hose clamp off of the air intake and the hose fell off. So the car was not having filtered air in the engine the whole time. So from that time on I do every thing myself.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Dealer Service Rant
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.