cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

My WiFi backup/security camera & trailer network project

wtbman
Explorer
Explorer
Previously on my TT I bought a cheap wired backup camera that I sent to the truck with a wireless RCA transmitter. The setup was low quality and constantly fuzzy. I upgraded to a 5.8GHZ wireless RCA transmitter not meant for automotive purposes. It really wasn't any better. The camera died, replaced it with another cheap low quality camera... I was reluctant to purchase one of the many wireless backup camera solutions available on Amazon. They are either tied to a specific screen or cost a lot of money and come from questionable chinese origins. There are a few WiFi backup cameras available with mixed reviews. Most of them won't do a good job of being constantly "on" while driving.

I wanted a high resolution, constantly on solution and I wanted to be able to chose my screen. This is what I have come up with:

- mount wireless router in storage near the front
- there will be two old routers (asus N-16 and N66)
- routers are running TomatoUSB (https://advancedtomato.com/)
- one router setup as a wireless client
- router can connect to rv park wifi or hotspot to watch rv cameras remotely while on day trips
- one router is the wifi access point for gadgets/phones in the trailer/truck
- routers will act as repeater to connect to home wifi when in range
- old ipad mini mounted on dash connected to trailer wifi
- mac mini running inside connected to inverter
- http://sighthound.com security software for dvr on mac mini
- front and rear cameras: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GR7LBFC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
- cameras are 2.8mm lens version with 103 degree wide view
- mount rear camera on rear wall with: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BKRKPPG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
- front camera mounts offset under front overhang with shot of hitch
- cameras are poe, power with: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BP0SSAS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
- run cat5/6 cable from cameras to poe switch and router
- cameras will be part of home security system when in range
- need to find 180 degree side cameras

I chose Hikvision cameras for this setup because they are high resolution and low latency with their proprietary app: ivms-4500 which I've tested with my home setup. Night vision is good. I can also reverse the image for the backup camera.

The two routers are setup and my wifi repeater network is working great. The two cameras are streaming to the app on my ipad and the latency is low so it will work great as a backup camera. The quality is excellent (4 megapixels). I haven't mounted the routers or camera yet. The router I'll connect the ipad to will be mounted in the front storage compartment for the shortest distance to the truck.

Cost so far:
- routers $free (old asus wireless N routers)
- cameras $83 x 2 = $166
- poe switch $60
- cat 5/6 cables ~$10
- old tablet $free
- proclip charging tablet mount $99 (many other cheaper options)
Total: $336
Having a commercial grade system that won't fail: pricele$$
6 REPLIES 6

wtbman
Explorer
Explorer
Just took a 4,000 mile cross country road trip with this setup and it performed wonderfully! It was so nice having a high quality long range view of what was behind the trailer. You can see the crazies flying up from behind and safely make lane changes. Everything ran off the inverter while traveling and never put a dent in the battery capacity. I can swipe the screen and see the two rear views and the front view when hooking up.

wtbman
Explorer
Explorer
Fixed my battery situation so the inverter stays running.
Road tested my camera system. I love it. I'm going to add a second rear camera for a view of traffic to go along with my "backup" view.

wtbman
Explorer
Explorer

I'm going to add a second camera below the rear camera so I can have a higher view of traffic in addition to the backup camera that can see the bumpers.

Also I bought this today: Ubiquiti NanoStation loco M5

It's a 5ghz directional wifi antenna that will replace the old client router I setup. The cat6 cord dangling in the picture above will be ran over to the ladder where I'll mount the antenna... unless I decide to mount it to the old tv antenna instead.

miatared
Explorer
Explorer
My new Cougar has the Furrion bracket at the back and a power lead.

I got myself a Haloview MC5111, designed to fit using that bracket and power lead. Do a Google search, you'll see a few reviews.

This is the 5 inch screen model, they also offer a 7 inch but am not keen on that big screen on or near my dash. The 5 inch is perfect.

The picture is of very high quality, 720p, bright colors, crisp and clear. Reception is excellent, 35 ft long rig in my pickup.

Better yet, it has an SD card slot and will record, continuously. Love it.

At $250 it's a great buy. Thumbs up.

wtbman
Explorer
Explorer
The initial road test went well. The cameras had great response time and worked wonderfully. The only issue I had is I think my batteries are dying so the inverter in the trailer kept turning off taking the cameras and router with it. Signal between the ipad and router was great because I placed the router near the front of the trailer and the cameras are wired. I'll post some pictures soon.

hawkeye-08
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice! I have some similar ideas (certainly have the old routers part covered), Been thinking on the cameras. Be sure and give an update after a few trips and let us know how it is working.