cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New To Dinghy Towing

Bobchambe
Explorer
Explorer
I finally gave up my tow dolly and invested in a tow bar and base plate from Blue Ox for my 2019 GMC Acadia.

The base plate and tow bar work great, but I am having a problem getting lights to work.

Does anyone know which wires go to the stop, tail and directional lights? On the drivers side in the rear, under the little storage box, there are two wiring harnesses and a fuse box. I found two different brown or tan wires that were hot with tail lights on, but will not light up when I connect the tow vehicle through the relay. The same goes for the green wires for the right signal or yellow wires for the left signal. Not sure if there is a third wire I haven't found yet.

Can the 2019 Acadia be connected using the existing lights, or do I have to install separate sockets and run them totally from the tow vehicle?
Thanks in advance for any info available.
11 REPLIES 11

Bobchambe
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
When you put power to the 3 wires did you have the ground from the MH hooked up?

Yes, I plugged into the same light plug as the dolly--which worked.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
When you put power to the 3 wires did you have the ground from the MH hooked up?

Bobchambe
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
Are you looking for the wires in the MH or the Acadia?
In the Acadia. The motor home wires are the same as when I pulled a dolly with mag lights.

I will probably get separate 1157 bulb sockets and bypass the Acadia wiring. You just remove the stop light, drill a hole, insert the new socket and connect the wires. The four wires are already run from the hitch to the rear of the Acadia.

Thanks, Bob

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Are you looking for the wires in the MH or the Acadia?

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
klutchdust wrote:
Big Katuna wrote:
Iโ€™ve been towing since 2000, four different toads.

I have settled on magnetic lights that bypass the toads wiring completely.

With diodes and relays what happens is your on a trip and someone tells you youโ€™re stop lights donโ€™t work so good luck.

Mag lights never fail and if they do they are $10 at Harbor Freight.

My plan on my 19 Rubicon is to run a separate wiring harness under and along the frame then have it plug into a custom made light bar that will slide into my hitch receiver. NO wires of the Jeep will be tampered with. I did this with my 08 Wrangler and it worked just fine.
With the electronics on this vehicle, no way will there be any wire splicing involved. I don't care what the splicing salesman say, nope, not going to happen.

I did that with one toad. Still used the mag lights but ran a permanent harness then added plugs, shortened the wires on the mag lights.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Big Katuna wrote:

With diodes and relays what happens is your on a trip and someone tells you youโ€™re stop lights donโ€™t work so good luck.

My plan on my 19 Rubicon is to run a separate wiring harness under and along the frame then have it plug into a custom made light bar that will slide into my hitch receiver. NO wires of the Jeep will be tampered with. I did this with my 08 Wrangler and it worked just fine.
With the electronics on this vehicle, no way will there be any wire splicing involved. I don't care what the splicing salesman say, nope, not going to happen.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
The Acadia has led tail lights. You can't just hook a wire to them to make them light.

So does my 13 Explorer, but they are 12V and I run diodes.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Bobchambe
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
The Acadia has led tail lights. You can't just hook a wire to them to make them light.

Thank you Charles---that is why I bought the light kit from Blue Ox, with relays and instructions.

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
GM Wiring requires voodoo and magic. Find a pro

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer