cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Carpet for the Slide Out

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
Well today I spent a couple of hours attempting to clean the original carpet in the slide out.
I recently installed some beautiful Luxury Vinyl Tiles in place of the Old Carpet and Lamintei in the main living area.

It turned out so well that we decided that the Carpeted Slide Out needed to be upgraded as well.

Cleaning did not cut it so we headed off to the Carpet Store for a piece of nice carpet.

So I ripped out the old Carpet and underlay ,then pulled a few hundred staples that were used to stick down the equally ugly Foam stuff.

To anyone out there that has done this job themselves ,did you install some Tack strips around the edges ? The original carpet was stapled to some very narrow bits of Luan around the walls and glued or taped down on the edge that overlaps the main floor.

Iโ€™m thinking that I will install commercial Smooth Edge Tack Strips along the walls ,then stretch the carpet to fit. Of course the overlap edge will be bound properly and that edge will be attached with adhesive.

So far I think that I have figured this mod out ,but always like hearing from those that went before.

Incidentally we have decided to install a 50 inch TV in a custom cabinet with a lift behind a new sofa ,which will replace the J Lounge in our Dutch Star.

New Theatre seating will be going into the slide out directly across from the TV!
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD
9 REPLIES 9

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
robatthelake wrote:
I am too old to try to figure out this step so will just use words to describe the experience!

I'm pretty sure you are not older than me - but whatever floats your boat.:W
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
robatthelake wrote:
I am too old to try to figure out this step so will just use words to describe the experience!

Dude... you can't do that! Gotta give us some pics so others of us can see what's involved and decide if we want to try it too!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
Rob & Jean

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Click here for the Good News sticky thread about photo posting which is stuck at the top of this forum. If you can copy and paste then you can easily post a photo.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
Well I ended up with a pretty professional looking installation! I got some Insta bind edging on E Bay which made the job easy and sensational !
If I could add a photo I would.
Rob & Jean

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
I have changed the carpet in a couple of slides, getting ready to do another. I just staple a pad in place and staple the carpet down as well. I use a electric staple gun. I usually put the flap on the carpet to cover the slideout edge. I have taken the carpet down before and had a edge sewn on. The other I didn't bother and it has not been a problem without the edging.

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
I discovered today that since itโ€™s only About 40 inches and there is a flap that extends over the slide edge there is really no way to stretch the carpet.Alsoits pointless using commercial Smooth edge as Staples will work fine!
Rob & Jean

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
Actually the stretching doesnโ€™t really do anything more than pull the carpet enough to get out any wrinkles. ,so stretching is just the term used .
I discovered today that since itโ€™s only About 40 inches and there is a flap that extends over the slide edge ,stretching does absolutely nothing in this case.
Rob & Jean

camper1013
Explorer
Explorer
Never done carpet before, but would the tension from stretching the carpet cause issues over time with the floor or anything like that? Thinking that it might cause warping or separation.