Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: What adapter for Prodigy P3 & GMC?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> What adapter for Prodigy P3 & GMC?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
myredracer

Langley B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/19 07:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turned out there was 5 wires hidden way up under the dash. So hidden that I ended up going to a hitch shop. Hooked up the pigtail that I had kept in the original Prodigy box from years ago.

Also had to connect a power wire in the engine compartment next to the fuse box. It too was hard to find with the dust in there and hard to see.

So now the brake controller works great.

Gil, Deb & Dougal a 15 year old Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS, Reese DC WDH, shocks and Endurance LRE tires
2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD crew cab, Bilstein shocks, heavy duty trailering option

aftermath

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/19 08:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bartlettj wrote:

It is very likely that the truck has an integrated controller if it is a 2500HD, and they are very good. (I also have a '12 2500HD, previously used a P3). Unless there's something wrong with it it will be better than the P3.

First of all, nice job with the fix myredracer. The Prodigy controllers are very good.

I had one in my older Toyota 4Runner and then transferred it to my new 08 Tundra. It was an easy install. Then I got a new 17 Tundra with a built in BC and it proved to be a piece of junk. It was a "solid state" controller which meant it was a timed controller. I have heard really good things about the big 3 integrated controllers and assumed that mine would be on par. It isn't. I removed it from the dash and installed my P2. I did have to find an adapter so I could install it in the dash. I am a fan of the Prodigy. The GM controllers are good I am assuming but better than a Prodigy? They probably are equal and I would stick with in integrated one for sure but not because they are better, or are they?

2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/19 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMHO...no better than my P3 (same as P2, but updated display)

Most OEM ITB's are accellerometer based, like the P2 &P3....but...highly integrated....meaning tied into many other on-board computer systems (and subsystems)

Meaning that they maybe ok, but another computer or sensor gone wacky...to take it down. Then the mechanics must be either techies or engineers to diag properly. Else they will just swap parts/systems

Most who have stated they don't like their P2/3 have their setup incorrectly...or better stated, not well

My P3 can stop my Suburban and trailer without ever getting the Suburbans brakes into the game

Key is to have the trailer brakes lead the TV'S brakes and that has to do with the TV brake pedal switch adjustment

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

bartlettj

Forest Grove, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/19 01:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The big 3 integrated controllers have sway detection and correction. Mine has never fired off, but it is something an aftermarket controller doesn't have. I find that mine works very smoothly and it is nice to have the actuation lever built into the dashboard, and the output level reads right out on the instrument cluster if you select it.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/19 07:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bartlettj wrote:

The big 3 integrated controllers have sway detection and correction. Mine has never fired off, but it is something an aftermarket controller doesn't have. I find that mine works very smoothly and it is nice to have the actuation lever built into the dashboard, and the output level reads right out on the instrument cluster if you select it.

And your foot operates the trailer brakes, not some guess from the accelerometer.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> What adapter for Prodigy P3 & GMC?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.