Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: elec test help on Onan gen
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> elec test help on Onan gen

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
path1

Varies with weather

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/19 10:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

D.E.Bishop wrote:

I'm going to ask a really important question, have you read the manual? There was nothing wrong with my Onan engine, oil level, battery charge, damaged wires... I finally deciphered the little set of flashes on the display. Mine wouldn't start because the generator was not outputting. So you may find the answer in the manual. If it's not there, what have you lost, nothing but a few minutes.

Yep have read owners manual and service manual. Service manual not that helpful as I wish. Covers about a dozen things, then for "faults" says to see authorized deal.

path1

Varies with weather

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/19 10:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

opnspaces wrote:

Does the starter engage the flywheel and start cranking the engine and then mysteriously just disengage before the generator starts? Or does the started just click, you hear the gear fit the flywheel, and then it immediately retracts and shuts down?

Can you put a meter on the starter battery terminals and then watch the display while you're cranking the starter over to see if it hits 6 volts? Either that or as MrWizard suggests put a battery on the ground right by the generator and run some jumper cables to the terminals on the generator.

"start cranking the engine and then mysteriously just disengage before the generator starts"?
describes it best.

path1

Varies with weather

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/19 10:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

* This post was edited 10/24/19 10:18am by path1 *

bounder39zman

SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/08/19 10:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

have seen this problem numerous times, most often on Onan 4KY (Microlite/Microquiet) . Usually caused by battery voltage dropping under load of starter motor, due to high resistance in cable connections, or weak capacity of battery . what is causing starter to "engage-disengage" is starter relay contacts closing, then dropping out (opening) due to low voltage. corrosion in cable terminals where terminal/lug connects to cable can be an "unseen" problem

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> elec test help on Onan gen
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS