cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

wi fi smart tv

mccoydetlef
Explorer
Explorer
ok here goes can i hook up my smart tv three to a campground wi fi or do i need a booster or anything else please HELP
1998 BETTY BOOP AMERICAN TRADITION
20 REPLIES 20

Eric_Lisa
Explorer II
Explorer II
Stumbled across this in today's tech news.

Samsung TV's need to be scanned for viruses
Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
Turn off the privacy settings and watch tv. If the tv wants to know I am watching judge judy - I really dont care.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

Eric_Lisa
Explorer II
Explorer II
Executive wrote:
Remember, your SMART TV is watching YOU as you're watching IT. ๐Ÿ™‚

That is exactly right - and if you are on a bandwidth limited connection could be a source of a lot of traffic.

Basically you have been 'monetized'. Sure when you watch Netflix through the built-in TV app, it tracks you. Pop a disk in the player and punch HDMI1 on the TV, and it is still watching you. It will capture screen shots of what you are watching and upload them to the Internet. That is how they can tell you are watching the ball game on DirectTV, or Indiana Jones on BluRay. This tracking can & will eat up a big chunk of your upload bandwidth. Disconnect the TV from the Wifi when you do not need it connected for streaming.

Of course, this is all for the greater good. Connecting you with products & services that you may wish to purchase. Essentially monetizing your viewing habits and selling them to the highest bidder.

-Eric
Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
That's why you need your own internet source. Depending on others is likely never going to be a good choice if you are planning to "save money" by trying to stream on services that were never meant for streaming.

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know that I've been to a campground/RV park that actually allowed streaming movies/tv. Every one I've been to has specifically not allowed streaming video.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Just did this yesterday. Works fine, but there's a bit of buffering. I try not to do it for very long as it affects the performance for other users.

The last thing I'd be worrying about is some hacker messing with your TV. Always something new to worry about if you spend much time on here.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
lryrob9301 wrote:
You could try, but most campground WIFI is so slow and overloaded that it will probably not work. Also campground WIFI is not secure so anyone on their system could possibly cause problems with your TV.

I agree that it is tough to find Internet access in RV parks that does a good job of supporting streaming TV well. I have stayed places where it worked fine.

However, I did not have a smart TV I have a Roku connected with a Ubiquti Nanobeam WiFi client that goes up above the roof when we park.

As far as privacy and security, any properly configured public WiFi system uses something called "client isolation". That protects you from other users on the local network.

I wish RV park owners, as a whole, would put a little more effort into proper WiFi installations. A significant part of my work for a number of years involved installing wireless networks including hospitality systems in hotels and RV parks.

The park owners that are willing to cut loose with a few more dollars to have a well designed and installed system are able to provide their guests with quality service.
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
All of my so called smart TV's have an F-CONNECTOR on the back for outside TV antenna connections... This would hook up to the cable TV at the camp ground I guess...

I watch OTA TV here all the time on my smart TV's... This is PLAN B when the cable goes out....

Our cable TV here at the house all have a TV BOX with the HDMI cable output connections...

Using the camp ground WIFI has always been a hit and miss for us... It works good sometimes and then the rest of the camp ground starts plugging in and that makes it all but useless for us... That's when we switch to the MIFI box account we have with our cell phone company...

When camping off-grid like we usually do we get good HDTV using our outside BATWING antenna pointing to the various big town locations several miles away...

Roy's image

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

JKJavelin wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:
JKJavelin wrote:
Last year I hooked up my Bluray player, which has wifi, to my stereo/TV and sometimes worked ok,sometimes not. This year I added a Winegard Connect 2 wifi extender and usually works great. One of my favorite mods.
JK

My new camper has the Winegard Connect 2.0 + 4G . . does the wifi extender portion work good?

Yes, we almost always use the extender mode when campground wifi is available. It works pretty well. On our current trip I purchased 4G (10 gigs) from Winegard for when we're staying off the grid, but that burns up pretty quick.

Thanks for that info
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
ford truck guy wrote:
JKJavelin wrote:
Last year I hooked up my Bluray player, which has wifi, to my stereo/TV and sometimes worked ok,sometimes not. This year I added a Winegard Connect 2 wifi extender and usually works great. One of my favorite mods.
JK

My new camper has the Winegard Connect 2.0 + 4G . . does the wifi extender portion work good?

Yes, we almost always use the extender mode when campground wifi is available. It works pretty well. On our current trip I purchased 4G (10 gigs) from Winegard for when we're staying off the grid, but that burns up pretty quick.
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

mccoydetlef
Explorer
Explorer
seems that way
1998 BETTY BOOP AMERICAN TRADITION

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
mccoydetlef wrote:
YES nothing seems simple maybe no TV is better

32 years of RVing and never had working TV in any of them.
Only few times during fall camping, when it gets dark at 6PM we run movies.
Now WI-FI TV is more than campgrounds.
I have big screen TV at home that operates on WI-FI, where Amazon Prime, Roku floods us with good movies for no charge.
Even Cox- my internet provider says I need zillions Mb of service to do so, it operates on minimum service just fine.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Remember, your SMART TV is watching YOU as you're watching IT. ๐Ÿ™‚
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

mccoydetlef
Explorer