Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Advice for a trip up the west coast
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Travels & Favorite Places

> Advice for a trip up the west coast

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
prepilot_3ck

Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/28/19 05:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Again, I want to thank everyone for their advice. Everyone absolutely contributed to a successful trip. We did it in 8 days (played hookie one additional day) 2,352 miles in 8ish days. 1 truck stop, 5 campgrounds, 2 Harvest Hosts. 7 wineries, 3 museums, 1 tourist town, 1 National/State park, 1 aquarium, 1 wedding and countless scenic vistas/overlooks. Can't wait for another trip like this.

Thanks to everyone again, for great advice.

Brian

2016 Thor Outlaw 37RB
VW Tiguan Toad.
Coupla bikes, coupla dogs, coupla 40-somethings wishing they were retired.

My Reviews:
-----------
Campendium: https://www.campendium.com/users/157273
Campground Reviews: http://www.campgroundreviews.com/profile/31929

maddog348

Bakersfield,CA

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/19 09:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the recap.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/19 08:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2,400 miles in 8 days sounds like a nightmare
I am happy you liked it.

Gazelle05

Gig Harbor,Wa

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/19 12:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Planning a trip from Wash St to the East coast then south to Florida return the Southen coast and up thru Ca to Washington. Driving 40' Pusher with toad. Any suggestions on best way to see the eastern states ( park the coach and explore in the toad)? Want to see Niagra Falls, Nova Scotia. Maine and states south. Concerns are size of coach with congestion don't want to add to the problem. Tunnels appear that may cause a problem with propane on board. Not apposed to parking the Motorhome and doing B&Bs for short stays. Any suggestions on how to make the most of the trip will be greatly appreciated. Plans are to leave Wa Labor Day weekend. Thanks in advance

2bzy2c

California

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/19 12:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You should start a new thread rather than hijacking this one. You will get a better response.

My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/06/19 03:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This should be a new topic!

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

RFCN2

MT

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/19 05:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have driven these roads a lot in both cars and RVs up to our 42' current coach. The last time we came down 101-1 from up by Canon Beach it was a beautiful although slow drive. When we crossed into CA the roads on this route got slower / rougher still. It was fine till we got to about Santa Rosa and then the traffic was terrible all the way through San Francisco. We took the route that goes across the Richmond Bridge and south through Oakland. That was a rough road south through the east bay but traffic not bad. Then we went through San Jose and on route 17 to Santa Cruze. Route 17 last time we took it was below substandard and more like something your would expect in the poorest country in the World. Just above a Jeep track. We stayed in Moss Landing which has a pretty nice but very crowded KOA.

My recommendation is that you skip this part and go inland at Oakland. Go slower through Oregon and the north park of CA. There are a couple of nice RV parks in the redwoods along 101.

There is no possibility I would ever drive a large motorhome and tow through SF. Driving a car through that area is bad enough. I think most of the billionaires have a helicopter.

Vegas to 158 to Bakersfield should be fine in your rig. I also like very much going down 146 just north of Bakersfield towards Morro Bay. There is a nice campground near the water in Morrow Bay.

RFCN2
Country Coach
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Travels & Favorite Places

> Advice for a trip up the west coast
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS