cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Older Yamaha EF1000

pinesman
Explorer
Explorer
I have the opportunity to get an older Yamaha EF1000 for dirt cheap. The gentleman says the voltage on the meter does not go much above 100 volts like it is not automatically revving up. This is not the newer EF1000is and it has beensitting for several years. Does anybody know anything about this particular model and what might be the problem? It is cheap enough if it is something simple but I do not want to spend a bunch of money on it since I will just use it to charge my batteries. Thanks.
12 REPLIES 12

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use an earlier version of this generator https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sportsman-1-000-800-Watt-Gasoline-Powered-Digital-Inverter-Generator-802...
It's chinese, of course, and sold under various brand names: Earthqualke, Porta Source, Dirty Hand Tools, Sportsman, and others. It has become my main generator for battery charging when boondocking because it's smaller and lighter than my eu2000i which now sits most of the time. Within its power spec, it performs well. It starts easily and runs reliably. It's not as quiet as the Honda, but not too bad in the big picture. Similarly, its output waveform isn't as clean as the Honda's, but beats any small non-inverter generator waveform that I've seen. If you want the very best, go with a Honda eu-series generator. I would have gone with an eu-1000i if it weren't bigger and heavier than this one. I paid about $250 for it a few years ago and even if it melts down tomorrow I'll consider that I got my money's worth out of it. With any generator smaller than about 2000VA output you need to have a battery charger that won't overload it, a small power converter, or one that you can throttle down to the 20 to 30 amp range.
2009 Fleetwood Icon

pinesman
Explorer
Explorer
Based on the history of this generator, I believe it is a gummed up carb and probably easily fixed. However, after doing more research I just do not think it is as quiet as I want so I am going to pass on this one and get something newer that is quieter. For those who had anything constructive to say, thanks for the input.

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III
Doh, I just figured out this isn't an inverter generator.
EF1000 = non-inverter
EF1000iS = inverter
2009 Fleetwood Icon

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
pinesman wrote:
The guy is asking $125 so I figure if it is a simple fix, I could spend some money and still come out ok

The key word here is "if" - and IF it's anything that a quick carb clean won't fix you can bet that any replacement parts you may have to buy, even if available for this "older" genset, won't be inexpensive. :E Obviously none of us here on the internet can ascertain what the real problem is with this genset without actually seeing it and it's your $$$ to throw away as you wish. My own opinion is I don't see the point as the chances of getting this thing running properly without pouring a lot of $$ into it for replacement parts don't seem good, assuming you can even get them. ๐Ÿ˜ž
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
shastagary wrote:
a friend of mine had the original Yamaha EF1000 that we used mostly to charge his boat batteries on his house boat if it had been sitting and not used for a long time we had to take apart the carburetor and clean it with a can of carb cleaner then it would run great again.
if the voltage is low the frequency will be running low also.
there is a governor and speed adjustment to adjust to correct it there is a service manual available for it.
it was a great generator and he was very mad when someone stole it.

adjustment page

Finally a sensible answer. The carb is likely gummed up and can be cleaned for cheap. Ethanol laced fuel needs to be drained before storage, or you might be doing this in most any engine. Don't mess with the governor till all else is working.

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
a friend of mine had the original Yamaha EF1000 that we used mostly to charge his boat batteries on his house boat if it had been sitting and not used for a long time we had to take apart the carburetor and clean it with a can of carb cleaner then it would run great again.
if the voltage is low the frequency will be running low also.
there is a governor and speed adjustment to adjust to correct it there is a service manual available for it.
it was a great generator and he was very mad when someone stole it.

adjustment page

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

pinesman
Explorer
Explorer
There has to be one in every group so moving on, does anyone have any experience with this particular generator?

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III
If the output voltage is no much over 100 with no load, then it's not a reving-up problem. I suppose it could be something simple like a bad internal wiring connection. My guess is that probability-wise, it's something not worth the cost of fixing like the alternator or the inverter. I view it as a roll-the-dice and see how you come out proposition. If you don't have electrical troubleshooting experience and an oscilloscope I think the deck is stacked against you. For some it would be worth the cost just for the learning experience.
2009 Fleetwood Icon

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
The OP wants it for battery charging. He doesn't know, or knows but doesn't care, about the relationship between generator VA, charging amps, and charging rates for AH of battery bank, and I am tired of explaining it (for now anyway). ๐Ÿ˜ž
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

pinesman
Explorer
Explorer
The guy is asking $125 so I figure if it is a simple fix, I could spend some money and still come out ok

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
pinesman wrote:
I have the opportunity to get an older Yamaha EF1000 for dirt cheap. The gentleman says the voltage on the meter does not go much above 100 volts like it is not automatically revving up.

I'd bet the reason you haven't received any response is because others are thinking exactly what I'm thinking - "dirt cheap" or not, why would anyone buy a genset that obviously has a problem? :h
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380