Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

XM Radio / NAV Antenna Question

Dennis58
Explorer
Explorer
Hi
I have a Chevy, 2019 3500HD DRW Crew Cab and have been looking at the Lance 975 TC. For anyone with a similar setup does cabover section of the TC interfere with the reception of the SAT antenna?

Thanks
Dennis
23 REPLIES 23

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
computermonkey wrote:
JimK-NY wrote:
I cannot help you with your Chevy. I can tell you what worked with my 2018 Ram. I needed a new shark fin antenna in a better location. I could only find the antenna and appropriate wiring harness through the dealer. I did find the wiring specifics online. I had to remove the cover on the passenger side front window pillar to plug in the new wiring. I made a magnetic base that would work for attaching the new antenna to the hood. Before replacing the antenna, I had about 70% function. Afterwards that went to over 90%. I still lose signal in some locations when the truck is pointed exactly north.

Our 2013 has the same issue. I googled and found the part numbers and purchased the shark fin and wiring extension. Now my question is where do you run the wiring through the firewall?

Thanks,

The factory wire is relatively short but works perfectly the way I snaked the wire into the passenger door jam and up through to the engine compartment and then to the hood location. The hood location is just a few inches forward of the back of the hood on the passenger side.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
flyte63 wrote:
While shopping for a 2020 F-250 we noticed two black parts n the top rear edge of the cab that appear to be The GPS Navigation Antenna and a Sirius XM antenna. Because of this location it seams like both would be severely impacted by a cab-over camper. Are there any 2020 Ford Super Duty owners who can chime in regarding real world experience with Nav and Sat radio performance when traveling with their camper?

Thanks!

I had 12' TC all over the continent and GPS always work flawlessly.
My jaw drop when US-model of 2017 F350 found small, suburban house in Port Ruppert, BC.
Sirus radio is loosing signal on all my vehicles downtown Las Vegas about every 1/2 mile.
When it took me about 20 seconds to add Sirus to newly purchased car, I had to spend 2 hr on chat rooms and phone to have the service canceled. Those die-hard salesmen will not let you go easy.

computermonkey
Explorer
Explorer
Appreciate the idea. I've had the kick panel and glove box out and really don't see a good way through the firewall.
New
2013 RAM Crew Cab, 3500 4x4
2019 Arctic Fox 1140 wet bath
Old
2016 Eagle Cap 960
2004 Jayco Talon ZX
1998 GMC Suburban with a Cummins 6BT conversion.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
If there isnโ€™t a suitable grommet, try pulling the trim back along the cab and running the cord under it. Worked fine for my Ford for a remote cell phone booster cable. In my case, the trim wasnโ€™t glued in place. I donโ€™t know if Ramโ€™s are or not, but itโ€™s worth a look.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

computermonkey
Explorer
Explorer
JimK-NY wrote:
I cannot help you with your Chevy. I can tell you what worked with my 2018 Ram. I needed a new shark fin antenna in a better location. I could only find the antenna and appropriate wiring harness through the dealer. I did find the wiring specifics online. I had to remove the cover on the passenger side front window pillar to plug in the new wiring. I made a magnetic base that would work for attaching the new antenna to the hood. Before replacing the antenna, I had about 70% function. Afterwards that went to over 90%. I still lose signal in some locations when the truck is pointed exactly north.

Our 2013 has the same issue. I googled and found the part numbers and purchased the shark fin and wiring extension. Now my question is where do you run the wiring through the firewall?

Thanks,
New
2013 RAM Crew Cab, 3500 4x4
2019 Arctic Fox 1140 wet bath
Old
2016 Eagle Cap 960
2004 Jayco Talon ZX
1998 GMC Suburban with a Cummins 6BT conversion.

flyte63
Explorer
Explorer
While shopping for a 2020 F-250 we noticed two black parts n the top rear edge of the cab that appear to be The GPS Navigation Antenna and a Sirius XM antenna. Because of this location it seams like both would be severely impacted by a cab-over camper. Are there any 2020 Ford Super Duty owners who can chime in regarding real world experience with Nav and Sat radio performance when traveling with their camper?

Thanks!
http://flyte63.blogspot.com

CYCLEPATH
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you, Jim. The winter trip did not happen, but it will mid August. I am revisiting this Sirius radio issue, and see if it is worth the trouble. I saw a site where a guy mounted a marine Sirus XM antenna to the top of his camper, then a cable out through the back of his truck. That might be a lot of work/expense, to not much result. Or there is the magnetic mount on the front of the hood. I will take a look at Amazon radio, also. Thanks.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Dennis58 wrote:
Hi
I have a Chevy, 2019 3500HD DRW Crew Cab and have been looking at the Lance 975 TC. For anyone with a similar setup does cabover section of the TC interfere with the reception of the SAT antenna?

Thanks
Dennis

2009 Silverado 3500 dually and an Arctic Fox. XM radio doesn't get reception unless I'm heading south. I gave up my XM subscription years ago.

NAV works fine.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Should be possible as long as the cable is long enough. I see the biggest issue is securing the cable going down the road so it isnโ€™t floppy in the breeze.

As far as iTunes goes, try Amazon Music instead. ๐Ÿ˜„ Because iTunes is dying. https://www.cnet.com/how-to/itunes-is-dead-heres-how-to-back-up-and-sync-your-iphone-in-macos-catalina/

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

CYCLEPATH
Explorer
Explorer
Is it possible to mount the antenna to the top of the camper? I may be doing a winter ALCAN trip Wasilla, AK, to Michigan, in an '05 Dodge 3500 with Lance 921. I was thinking of getting the SiriusXM vehicle kit. If not, like someone said, there is always iTunes. Thanks.

K_Mac
Explorer
Explorer
My (Sirius) antenna (1/2 square 1/2 oval flat) on an ext. cab F 350 sits 7" back from top of windshield and 28" from front of TC and I get 99% reception all across the entire top half of country east to west, preety happy.

PhilR
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just returned from round trip....Albany, NY to Libby, MT. 2019 Chevy 3500HD, crew cab short box, NL 8-11 camper. The shark fin on the cab roof worked well. Sat radio reception about 95% of the time.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II

Z-Peller
Explorer
Explorer
On your new truck the access port for the antenna lead is in the dash behind the radio screen. I am unsure if a FAKRA connector will work with this and I have been afraid to pull the dash apart to check.

Have pulled my 2016 GMC radio to install SiriusXm external antenna with FAKRA connector. Found some good youtube videos first showing how to do it and color of Satellite radio wire at back of radio. Quite easy to do actually. Use plastic tool to pry silver plastic surround off. It is held on with clips. Right & left side clips can be stubborn but they do unclip. Use socket to take out 4 bolts holding radio in. Carefully tip radio out from top and find something to rest it on as you cannot take it completely out of hole. Many wires connected to bottom of radio but enough slack to access antenna wire & unplug OEM & reconnect FAKRA.
Hope this helps.
Bill..
2017 Bigfoot 10.4 camper...2016 GMC 3500 4x4 Xcab Duramax Dually...