Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: XM Radio / NAV Antenna Question
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> XM Radio / NAV Antenna Question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Dennis58

North Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/19 06:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi
I have a Chevy, 2019 3500HD DRW Crew Cab and have been looking at the Lance 975 TC. For anyone with a similar setup does cabover section of the TC interfere with the reception of the SAT antenna?

Thanks
Dennis

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/09/19 07:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had an aftermarket sat antenna on my '05 Chevy mounted at the center of the hood at the back, just below the windshield. The TC interfered sometimes with it there, particularly when driving south. I moved the antenna to the very front driver's corner of the hood and that took care of it.
I would think having one one the roof under a truck camper would be just about useless.

Homeless by Choice

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/09/19 09:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KD4UPL wrote:

I had an aftermarket sat antenna on my '05 Chevy mounted at the center of the hood at the back, just below the windshield. The TC interfered sometimes with it there, particularly when driving south. I moved the antenna to the very front driver's corner of the hood and that took care of it.
I would think having one one the roof under a truck camper would be just about useless.

It won't work. I mounted an aftermarket antenna tight against my hood bug guard and ran the wire inside the engine compartment between the hood and the hood insulation. I works without any issues.

LeRoy

Homeless by Choice
FULL TIMER since 2012
2015 Chevy 3500, Duramax, 4X4, DRW, Crew cab, Long bed
2013 Northern Lite 8'11"Q Sportsman truck camper
2015 Polaris RZR Side by Side

deserteagle56

Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/19 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Even though my Bigfoot is all fiberglass that thing hanging over the cab put the kibosh on satellite reception for the XM. I now have an aftermarket antenna mounted near the front of the truck on the hood. Works great there.

1996 Bigfoot 2500 9.5 on a 2004 Dodge/Cummins dually

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/09/19 11:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine works OK most of the time. I can't remember which way I'm traveling when it loses reception, maybe northwest?
I plug in Apple ITunes when I lose XM.

2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

towpro

Compass PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/19 07:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2018 ram. the Radio is not NAV but the truck has a service like onstar (uconnect) so it has GPS in truck. truck also has ATT phone connection so there is 2 wires going up to shark fin on roof.

I took apart one of the connectors and found the standard magnetic mount Sirius antenna connect right into the cable for the radio SAT. putting the mag mount antenna out on the hood took care of the problem and the GPS in the truck still works.
I know sirius and GPS use different frequencies, but it works.

Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz.

Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range

otrfun

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/09/19 08:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We fully expected to lose Sirius satellite radio reception on our '16 Ram 3500 crew-cab when we loaded up our new '19 Northern Lite 8-11. The OEM antenna sits completely underneath the cabover section. Much to our surprise we've had no problem receiving Sirius radio with the camper loaded.

towpro

Compass PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/19 06:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

depending on your location, SiriusXM has ground transmitters that your receiver will auto switch to. click here

Fishbreath

home

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/19 06:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2019 3500 gas SRW with a Northstar cabover camper. My Sirius works about 70% of the time and is dependent on the direction of travel for it to work.
On my past truck (2013 GMC) I was able to buy an antenna from Sirius and an adapter (FAKRA) to plug it into the GMC antenna port. This port was located behind the glove box and was easily accessed.
On your new truck the access port for the antenna lead is in the dash behind the radio screen. I am unsure if a FAKRA connector will work with this and I have been afraid to pull the dash apart to check.

Please post if you come up with a solution

Bill

otrfun

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/19 06:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just completed a 2000+ mi. trip with the camper. The trip took us up the CA coast to San Fran, back down 395, and across Death Valley. Got perfect Sirius reception for the entire trip. Again, the OEM antenna sits just above the driver, on the roof of the truck, completely underneath the cabover portion of the camper. You would think this location would have completely compromised the signal at some point during our trip, but it didn’t.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> XM Radio / NAV Antenna Question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.