cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refrigerator Change in a Class A Gasser

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
OK, we are discussing changing out our Dometic 2862 for an all electric. One option is the guy who does the conversion in Indiana (JC Refeigeration I believe) and I spoke with him. $750 for him to do it. I just need to get the MH to him. Wife does not like that idea, and wants a new unit. So we've been looking at residential units, and there are a few out there - BUT - folks in the last 2 campgrounds have warned us that the residential units are not made to bounce around in an RV, and we need to look at the Norcold, Dometic Nova Kool, or other all electric units.

Question - who has made the change in their gassers (DP's ride much smoother, so I don't know if it's a fair comparison) and is happy with the performance and longevity, and what did you install.

Al
23 REPLIES 23

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Very nice! You will be super happy! Ignore the haters that are determined to post a bunch of BS.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
FloridaRosebud wrote:
OK, I obviously don't know how to post an image. Can someone help?

Al

Check the sticky topic in the DIY thread. Super easy!

Thanks!!!

Al

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer

Al

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
FloridaRosebud wrote:

Al

Check the sticky topic in the DIY thread. Super easy!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
FloridaRosebud wrote:
OK, we are discussing changing out our Dometic 2862 for an all electric. One option is the guy who does the conversion in Indiana (JC Refeigeration I believe) and I spoke with him. $750 for him to do it. I just need to get the MH to him. Wife does not like that idea, and wants a new unit. So we've been looking at residential units, and there are a few out there - BUT - folks in the last 2 campgrounds have warned us that the residential units are not made to bounce around in an RV, and we need to look at the Norcold, Dometic Nova Kool, or other all electric units.

Question - who has made the change in their gassers (DP's ride much smoother, so I don't know if it's a fair comparison) and is happy with the performance and longevity, and what did you install.

Al

Everybody has addressed the reliability issue which I totally agree with. But nobody has addressed the $750 price tag. That is way too much. Getting the old one out just requires some disassembly and a couple of strong backs. Cap the gas line move some electrical around and maybe do some cabinet work. I paid a company in Yuma to remove the old one and get the new residential through the door for $200. Used the existing 110 volt outlet and finished the trim out when I got home.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

grldst
Explorer
Explorer
Vegasfoodguy,

Which JC refridgeration unit did you go with?
How long have you been running with it?
Do you dry camp much with it.
How do rate it’s power consumption

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer

Al

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
Ended up with a Frigidaire 10 CF. Shop did a great job. This is the first weekend out with it, and was nice it only took 2 hrs to cool down, and everything is cold even with 95+ degrees outside.

Al

vegasfoodguy
Explorer
Explorer
FloridaRosebud wrote:

Al

JC Refrigeration will give you 3 to 6 years warranty, I don't think your residential will do that. By the way, I have a JC unit, 94 degrees outside, 34 in the frig, 0 in freezer.
Monaco Diplomat, Cummins, 38a
Toad Grand Cherokee and Jeep Wrangler, Brake Buddy.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't never heard of any negatives on a residential refer in an RV, other than if you want to stay for more than an overnight without hookups. and that could be fixed with a couple of good solar panels!

If and when my fridge dies I will probably go residential.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
I really, really, really wish people who are ignorant of the actual performance of residential refrigerators in RVs would stop spreading rumors that are just not true. Thousands of residential refrigerators are being used every day in RVs and there are no reports anywhere of massive failures. My Magic Chef has about 30000 miles and it is fine. I use it all the time when boon-docking. It's FINE!!! It uses less power than my Norcold 1200LRIM. Repeat! It uses less electric power than my 3 time failed Norcold. It runs ALL the time, as in ALL the time on power from a mod sine inverter. It stays cold. It WORKS. It is cheap. It WORKS. It is reliable. IT WORKS. I don't understand how these stupid rumors got started but they are false. Please stop spreading them.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Our Haier 10.1 cu ft replacement fridge is approaching 20,000 miles over the three years we've had it. The only work that's been done it was a compressor relay replacement due to a recall. It took the GE service tech that did the work about 20 minutes. He commented on how much nicer it was to work at the back of the fridge standing up versus laying on the floor in someone's kitchen...

Oh, and my wife really appreciates having a magnetic surface for pictures, notes, etc... 🙂

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
2013 Tiffin Allegro 36LA

Replaced a Dometic RM1350. We installed a Samsung 17.5-cu ft Counter-Depth French Door Refrigerator with Ice Maker (Stainless Steel). We love it. Makes Ice. Keeps ice frozen. Keeps ice cream and everything else frozen.

Easy to winterize, with pink.

We love it.

If you are a vet, you can get 10% off on order. You must register on their website. They deliver free. We had it delivered direct to the shop that installed.

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
My coach is in my signature. I replaced a Norcold N611RT, the cousin of your Dometic 2862, three years and 16,000 miles with a Magic Chef HMDR1000BE 10 cuft residential. I was pressed for time after the Norcold died and needed to get something in place prior to a two week summer vacation trip in a few days. Don't know if the Magic Chef was the best option but it fit after removing a small overhead cabinet that I never used and was available from Home Depot for $300 and change. Plus it fit thru the coach and the four extra cuft makes a big difference with meal planning and food shopping. If it ever dies I could easily have it out of the coach and a replacement installed in about 45 minutes.

2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53