cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lithium batteries high for Stepwell, will they start genny?

DAS26miles
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking of replacing my original group 27 batteries that are in the step well compartment. The height clearance is 10" deep and the originals are 8 1/2 " high. The Lithium batteries that I'm considering are 9" and 9 1/2" high. That doesn't leave much clearnace for the cables on top. Being so close to the top has me wondering if hitting a bump in the road could cause the batteries to hit the metal step lid and shorting. Also, I read that Lithium batteries are not designed to start motors of any kind. What about the generator? My 4K Onan seams to peak just under 180 amp at start up. The Lithium specs say the 100 amp batteries can go to 200 amps for a few seconds, Any feed back?
16 REPLIES 16

DAS26miles
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
DAS26miles wrote:
2oldman wrote:
DAS26miles wrote:
But first I have to make sure it will fit and start the generator.
I don't know where you got the idea it won't start a motor.

Read it on the internet some where.
That explains a lot.

I know, everyone knows what you read on the internet is true! Thant's why I posted this topic, I didn't believe it.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
DAS26miles wrote:
2oldman wrote:
DAS26miles wrote:

That explains a lot.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
DAS26miles wrote:
It's a PITA to check the water level in the step compaartment with all the cables running on top of the batteries.

Which is why AGMs are a good choice. No "water level" to check with them either.

But it is rapidly beginning to look like you already have your mind made up and cost is not an obstacle....whether it should be or not....so good luck.

Don't confuse me with facts, my mind is made up.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
DAS26miles wrote:
They don't discharge at a constant voltage or charge as fast as Lithium.

Neither of those "advantages" really do you any good in a camping situation.....usually. The "standard" charging equipment usually won't take full advantage of the different charging characteristics.

In my opinion, a waste of money for most people.

But it's your money; do whatever makes you happy.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

DAS26miles
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
DAS26miles wrote:

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
DAS26miles wrote:

DAS26miles
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:
Are you getting batteries with the Battery Management System built in? Lithium are tops, but you donโ€™t really just drop them in usually. I really would look at AGM.

Yes, they will have the management built in and I have a Lithium mode solar controller. Battleborn says my existing Progressive Dynamics converter charger will work fine charging the Lithiums but I will need to hit the charge wizard and have it go into bulk at 14.4 volts. I will get Progressive's dedicated Lithium converter charger I see everything is working. But first I have to make sure it will fit and start the generator.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Are you getting batteries with the Battery Management System built in? Lithium are tops, but you donโ€™t really just drop them in usually. I really would look at AGM.
-- Chris Bryant

DAS26miles
Explorer
Explorer
Seattle Steve wrote:
DAS26miles wrote:
My existing tie down strap should work. But has any one out there actually installed Lithium in their step compartment? What's the advatage of AGM's besides price? They don't discharge at a constant voltage or charge as fast as Lithium.

Here's a video giving estimated cost comparisons between the 3 types of batteries.

RV Battery Comparison

Thanks, I'm more sold on the Lithium. It's a PITA to check the water level in the step compaartment with all the cables running on top of the batteries.

Seattle_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
DAS26miles wrote:
My existing tie down strap should work. But has any one out there actually installed Lithium in their step compartment? What's the advatage of AGM's besides price? They don't discharge at a constant voltage or charge as fast as Lithium.

Here's a video giving estimated cost comparisons between the 3 types of batteries.

RV Battery Comparison

DAS26miles
Explorer
Explorer

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Can you lay the batteries on their sides? Li batteries should start anything.. huge current capacities.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes they will start the generator. Get terminal covers if the clearance is tight. And yes all batteries should be held down.

Terminal covers

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I would install battery hold downs in either case. The batteries should not be free to move about.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II