Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: WI-FI in Canada
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> WI-FI in Canada

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
almcc

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/19 10:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I thought that I would look at Bell Canada's coverage map, I've attached the link. We were fortunate to have satellite internet (Hughes) when we traveled the Alaska Highway in the past, we had coverage everywhere unless the terrain prevented aiming the dish (the dish angle is very low up there, under 20 degrees sometimes). Trees and hills blocked the sat some times.

Coverage link

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/19 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Notice the lack of coverage on the Bell map along the Cassiar. Topography probably affects cell coverage the same as satellite aiming, pretty much line of sight access.
I have a towers map that might also give a clue as to what to expect up that way. It's last update was a few months ago. https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

To the OP, good luck with it.

Mike.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) N24V + 2016 JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

garyhaupt

Penticton, BC..land of wine, sun, retirees....

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/19 10:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

But...at least on our phones, to access a wifi hotspot on the phone, one needs to get it up and running..and hey PRESTO...your provider is now connecting you...$$$ Yes, you can access your phone without the provider as long as you are looking up a phone number or playing solitaire. We do that by having the phone in Airplane Mode and data usage off as well as Bluetooth BEFORE crossing into the US. Like..a mile before. You then have the brick...but can get into your information. Even off-line maps. But, to use your phone for free wifi, US phone in Canada? Maybe...but I would check.

Gary Haupt

I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

gemsworld

Arizona West Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/19 12:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recently completed a 7,900 mile road trip that included traveling through New Brunswick, Quebec and Ontario. Most, if not all, Canadian RV parks had decent wifi.

I have Verizon and I signed up for the $5/day Canada/Mexico plan that allowed me to use all the phone features, including data, while traveling in Canada without incurring outrageous international charges.

C-172-AV8R

Duncan B.C. Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/19 04:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most public buildings have free Wi-Fi. Libraries, Community centres, Visiter centres etc:

Pacific Islanders
Abby's Doghouse... 31'Winnibago Chieftain
Casara pilot
FMCA F371731
"Any Day you wake up is a good one"
Mike/Ulla/Abby

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/19 04:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

C-172-AV8R wrote:

Most public buildings have free Wi-Fi. Libraries, Community centres, Visiter centres etc:

My 2017 truck has impressive GPS with live traffic supply by Sirus.
It can find public buildings like above, but I wonder if the data is on my truck card, is it using Sirus for updates?
I assume I will not have too many public buildings on my route, but thanks for info.
Anybody knows a site where I could download detailed Canada maps?
EDIT. I check my 2015 Delorme SA USA Plus and it does have decent coverage for Canada.
I tried search of Library in Prince Rupert and it shows it with phone number.
Looks like I'll be mostly covered.

sam22

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/19 01:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lol yes there is wifi in Canada

fanrgs

Mile High City

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/19 10:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Subway shops in BC and Yukon generally have free WiFi and so does the Safeway in Smithers (ask me how I know!). As others have mentioned, nearly every visitor/tourist info center we stopped in also had at least very slow WiFi. But we were in no provincial parks in either BC or Yukon that had WiFi or good cell service, including Liard Hot Springs.

Expect spotty cell service along any of the highways. Only in proximity to towns will you have fairly good service--in Canada or Alaska.

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/19 01:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I made it to Price Rupert so far and Internet is not that easy in Canada.
Tried Library, but GPS stops me in the center of busy intersection, where no library is in site. After finally finding it, parking RV in underground garage was quite an adventure.
Than library was closed and even I got WI-FI outside, it was pretty choppy.
Stop at campground with WI-FI. Specifically requested site with good coverage.
Still having full WI-FI signal, there was not much internet in it. Email eventually opened after a minute, while 12 tries to upload a picture brought no success.
Finally using friend's home WI-FI in Price Rupert and speed is really amazing.

garyhaupt

Penticton, BC..land of wine, sun, retirees....

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/19 08:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For those chasing wifi..every McDonalds has it. Every BC Gov't office has it..it shows up as Dogwwod. Every Safeway has it..except Quesnel. Every BC Liquor store has it. Not the private ones. Every library has ..but it might mean you have to actually go inside.

Now..it may not always be super high speed like you get at home with your card/phone, but it's there and it is free for you to use.

Gary Haupt

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> WI-FI in Canada
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS