cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Stove Burner Issue

Art_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
My wife complains that our Magic Chef burners are full on or full off, no adjustment in between! Are there any practical solutions short of replacing the stove?
Do the best you can with what you have to work with.

Arctic Fox 22GQ
Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
17 REPLIES 17

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
Must have just been the option I chose.. Doesn't bother me any. I don't cook that much on High burner any way; simmer on the back burner. Wouldn't really want a HIGH burner next to the back wall.

JM2ยข ~~ YMMV

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Huuuuh ... what on Earth?

Our good old Winnebago Spirit Class C has a 3-burner Magic Chef propane cooktop and (of course) all three burners are adjustable .... just like in our stick and brick house propane cooktop.

This world sure has some funny stuff that folks wind up having to put up with. :h
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Art_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
Art Davis wrote:
Thanks all. Sorry I forgot to say, but as some of you surmised, it is a propane stove. Yes, two back burners are on-off and front (the large one) is adjustable. Checks with what the manual says, but my gosh! it would seem so easy for the mfr to make them all adjustable.

I guess my question is whether or not I could simply replace the back burners with adjustable ones.

I guess I can contact the mfr, but I have often found this resourceful bunch can come up with solutions which seem to elude the manufacturer!

No manufacturer is going to condone replacing the valves with a different style not approved and designed for the particular appliance, regardless of whether it works safely or not.

As a practical matter, on the stoves that I've seen, the difference between the front and back burners is usually just the control valve; the burner proper is the same (though the back ones do of course have longer supply tubes). Replacing the back control valves with ones intended for the front burner would in theory make them adjustable as well, but it also would mean the back burners give a higher maximum output and thereby may pose a fire hazard as they are closer to countertops and walls and other combustible surfaces than the front middle burner.

I'd live with setting the control between off and high, or replace the stove if you have a lot of excess cash sitting around that you would rather not have cluttering up the space.

Certainly makes sense, but I am left asking why aren't low output burners also adjustable? Its not that we want higher output, just the ability to control the flame,

But I can clearly see that the consensus is to just hunker down and put up with the problem!

Nuff said!

Arctic Fox 22GQ
Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Art Davis wrote:
Thanks all. Sorry I forgot to say, but as some of you surmised, it is a propane stove. Yes, two back burners are on-off and front (the large one) is adjustable. Checks with what the manual says, but my gosh! it would seem so easy for the mfr to make them all adjustable.

I guess my question is whether or not I could simply replace the back burners with adjustable ones.

I guess I can contact the mfr, but I have often found this resourceful bunch can come up with solutions which seem to elude the manufacturer!

No manufacturer is going to condone replacing the valves with a different style not approved and designed for the particular appliance, regardless of whether it works safely or not.

As a practical matter, on the stoves that I've seen, the difference between the front and back burners is usually just the control valve; the burner proper is the same (though the back ones do of course have longer supply tubes). Replacing the back control valves with ones intended for the front burner would in theory make them adjustable as well, but it also would mean the back burners give a higher maximum output and thereby may pose a fire hazard as they are closer to countertops and walls and other combustible surfaces than the front middle burner.

I'd live with setting the control between off and high, or replace the stove if you have a lot of excess cash sitting around that you would rather not have cluttering up the space.

Art_Davis
Explorer
Explorer

Arctic Fox 22GQ
Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is adjustable, my rig is a 2002 so probably a 2005 stove. If you don't have the manual, it will be available on line. Read the manual and see what it says.

If there isn't any adjustment for the flame, NO, there isn't any other way of getting what you want, if the manual says it is adjustable, you need to use the stove and see if it adjusts according to the manual. If you can't adjust it, buy her a new stove.

Where is Doug when we need him or Chris. They are pros and know what way is up.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman ~~ Might be ridiculous ~ Bur that is the way it came

From the brochure for my 2007 Sunova ~ "3 burner 1 high output"

Faucet single-control, Moen,ยฎ Microwave Oven,
Pantry, Range Hood vented w/light & fan, Range
Top 3-burner w/pot & pan drawer, Receptacle(s)
duplex, Refrigerator/Freezer double-door
SSSSSS
Countertop w/flip-up extension SSSS S
Galley Upgrade Package range cover, silverware
tray, woodgrain raised-panel refrigerator door
insert, dinette storage wire baskets, Microwave/
Convection Oven, Range 3-burner (1 high-output)
w/oven
OOO

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
jkwilson wrote:
Iโ€™d suggest checking the stove gas pressure. Really should be an annual maintenance check.

How do you check your stove pressure annually?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
That's ridiculous. They should all be adjustable.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
Our stove top 3 burner ~ 2off/on ~~ 1 adjustable. Always have been. What does your manual say.

JM2ยข ~~ YMMV

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Same problem on my Suburban stove, it does adjust but it's super sensitive for the low range. 2/3 of the travel is full power and the last bit is medium and low.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
Look at the flame and turn the knob. It's not a linear adjustment, but it is adjustable. At least that's how it is with our Magic Chef range.

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
๐Ÿ™‚ Hi, on my three burner stove top, the front burner is the only one that is adjustable. The back two burners are basically on or off, but you can adjust them by barely turning the knob. As mentioned in the previous post.
๐Ÿ™‚ Bob ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Many (well, at least some) RV propane stoves don't have "official" settings between high and off for some of the burners. That doesn't mean you can't turn the control knob halfway between off and high and get a lower setting, though it make take some care to adjust it finely in that zone. The control is just a valve, after all.