cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Goose Neck Adapter

gbsb
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2010 Fuzion FZ383 Toy hauler 40 f00t 3 axles. I had a Flatbed installed on my F450 Ford. Because it set to tall I went with a gooseneck adapter to pull with. Long story made short after 2 years the Ford gave up the ghost and I have a Ram 3500 now with the puck system for a hitch. I installed a 25000 pound B&W Companion hitch and went to hook up 5th wheel. Removed the adapter and discovered the pin box was bent, I had to replace the pin box on the 5th wheel. Just a little information for any one thinking of using a gooseneck adapter. Think long and hard about it , I haven't found any more damage that it caused yet.
12 REPLIES 12

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
lincster wrote:
nayther wrote:
I just shake my head when guys insist there's no difference when using a gooseneck adapter and argue there's no change in forces. Since I'm an engineer and took Statics and Dynamics in school it's clear as a bell where the forces are different.

Oh no. 2 Engineers on this forum???? Watch out!!!!!

What's you discipline? Mine's mechanical, HVAC in concentration.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
nayther wrote:
I just shake my head when guys insist there's no difference when using a gooseneck adapter and argue there's no change in forces. Since I'm an engineer and took Statics and Dynamics in school it's clear as a bell where the forces are different.

Oh no. 2 Engineers on this forum???? Watch out!!!!!
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
Yep. Been a known issue for years in the toyhauler world.
I have known 3 buddies that used it and didnโ€™t listen to me.
They ended up with the same results.
Dolla dolla bills yo!!!!!
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

dedmiston
gbsb wrote:
Got that right. Did not mean to bring up a old subject, sorry. Juust trying to be helpful.

Good for you. I cringe when I see people post about them.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
We also have the Fuzion 383, and it's a pretty heavy bugger. Ours weighs in at 15,000 lbs. with no water at all, and a couple motorcycles in the back. Glad to hear that you had no serious damage.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
Place a piece of tape vertically on front cap about 8" long

Place a ruler on pin box vertically and mark the tape 'at rest' (not hitched up)
Do the same after hitching up ---full weight on pin box

Should be 1/4" or less difference between the two marks.
More then that....
Remove 5vr overhang panel (around pin box) and inspect pin box/overhang structure for distortion, cracks, broken welds etc while hitching and unhitching

Hopefully just the pin box took the hit......
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
gbsb wrote:
Got that right. Did not mean to bring up a old subject, sorry. Juust trying to be helpful.

No it's good to share hard won experience.

A big part of the problem is there are many variables, so when someone gets away with it (at least on the surface), it can mislead others.
- Size of trailer.
- Road conditions
- How aggressive the driver is accelerating and braking.
- Hidden damage that the owner is simply unaware of.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I agree about the โ€œoldโ€ subject. Good to rehash it occasionally so potential new users can make an informed decision.

I like to relate it to using a cheater bar to loosen a tight bolt. The longer the bar, i.e. the lever, the more torque force is applied to the bolt. Or in the case of the adapter, on the pin box frame.

Y-Guy
gbsb, no worries on bringing this back up for discussion. It comes up fairly often. You will get some saying they've towed a lot without any problems, but then some will report back about finding damage years later. I'd say most manufacturers void the warranty if a gooseneck is used I think a couple have supported it but I can't recall which ones now.

Good explanation by a member, richheck about the physics of the leverage and the fulcrum.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

gbsb
Explorer
Explorer

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
The potential danger of using a gooseneck adapter has been discussed frequently here. Obviously there is an increase of torque forces applied to the pin box when using one. And some trailer manufacturers will void the warranty if you use one. But a lot of folks have used them for years with no "apparent" problem. I say apparent as there could be as yet unseen damages occurring. So just a matter of chance I guess. Just be glad it was the pin box and not the frame.