Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: When does a TH become too big??
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  Toy Haulers

> When does a TH become too big??

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Dennis58

North Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/19 07:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm about 1 1/2 years out from buying a TH for a combination of using it to 1) hit some off road sites and 2) general travel to visit the United States. Most of my travels will be 2-4 weeks solo with the wife on a few trips. She is not really into the RV'ing lifestyle.

My off road toy will be a Honda Rincon (7 Ft) or Can AM Maverick (11 Ft) and maybe a KTM Enduro bike.

My intentions all along have been to keep the TH foot print to a Min so I'm not always worried about where I'm going to park or dragging 38 Ft plus **** behind me.

I have been looking hard at the Sundowner TH market and have come to the conclusion that to have what I want (or I think what I want) this will be a special order TH.

I'm thinking a 10 FT living quarters package (10' floor + 8'bed over gooseneck) with a 12 Ft garage. This still puts me at 30 Ft overall but I don't see how I can do anything any smaller and still keep the forward livings quarters I want.

Anyway, guess what I'm asking is when you guys and gals go out for your "off roading" trips do you find it difficult finding off road type RV sites that fit your rig?

Thanks
Dennis

twodownzero

NM

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/19 08:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can't imagine I'd be able to tell much difference between my 35' 5er and a 30' bumper pull. You're going to be pulling 8-12k pounds either way. I focus on comfort.

Dennis58

North Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/19 08:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

twodownzero wrote:

I can't imagine I'd be able to tell much difference between my 35' 5er and a 30' bumper pull. You're going to be pulling 8-12k pounds either way. I focus on comfort.

Very true I'm sure. A similar ATC bumper pull with a forward bed and 11' 6" garage comes in at 31' at the hitch.

I did run across a Sundowner 1786GM with 16' garage at 34' total. Hard part for me is there is not a Sundowner dealer within reasonable driving distance from me to go put my hands on one.

jmtandem

western nevada

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/19 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

I'm thinking a 10 FT living quarters package (10' floor + 8'bed over gooseneck) with a 12 Ft garage. This still puts me at 30 Ft overall but I don't see how I can do anything any smaller and still keep the forward livings quarters I want.

I would look at horse trailers. They come gooseneck, stout for off road use, front living quarters, and ten or so feet of floor toy carrying area is no issue. They are made so much better than most RV's, no rubber roof, no filon sides to delam, and stout axles and tires.

'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

Dirtclods

Newport Beach

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/19 09:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dennis58 wrote:

I'm about 1 1/2 years out from buying a TH for a combination of using it to 1) hit some off road sites and 2) general travel to visit the United States. Most of my travels will be 2-4 weeks solo with the wife on a few trips. She is not really into the RV'ing lifestyle.

My off road toy will be a Honda Rincon (7 Ft) or Can AM Maverick (11 Ft) and maybe a KTM Enduro bike.

My intentions all along have been to keep the TH foot print to a Min so I'm not always worried about where I'm going to park or dragging 38 Ft plus **** behind me.

I have been looking hard at the Sundowner TH market and have come to the conclusion that to have what I want (or I think what I want) this will be a special order TH.

Anyway, guess what I'm asking is when you guys and gals go out for your "off roading" trips do you find it difficult finding off road type RV sites that fit your rig?

Thanks
Dennis

Maybe this?http://www.irv2.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7469&d=1293888100

Dennis58

North Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/19 09:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jmtandem wrote:

I would look at horse trailers. They come gooseneck, stout for off road use, front living quarters, and ten or so feet of floor toy carrying area is no issue. They are made so much better than most RV's, no rubber roof, no filon sides to delam, and stout axles and tires.

I did look at those but all of them have swing out doors at the rear. I guess ramps could be added for toy loading and horse stalls removed. From a used market and $$ standpoint a used Sundowner "horse trailer" would be much easier to find than a used Sundowner Toy Hauler.

I did a US wide search for used Sundowner Toy Haulers a while back and the market was maybe 1-2 total.

Dennis58

North Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/19 10:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Below is an example of a Sundowner 3 Horse Slant for $21.5K, not sure what a "3 Horse Slant" would equal into for garage size when all the horse stuff is removed but the cost point is 1/3 of a new Sundowner TH.

Sundowner 3 Horse LQ

Mmaxed

Montana

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/19 02:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We boon dock in the mountains and tried to stay as close to 30' as possible when we bought ours. Wound up at 34+' but it worked well. Shortly after a friend bought a 40 footer. Too much.

Not sure if it would matter to you, but that horse trailer wouldn't go in many of our spots without dragging. Sits way too low. That's another thing we looked closely at when buying. Clearance and overhang. Some of the spots we camp drop off fairly steep from the road.

I guess it all depends on where you wind up going. Hope you enjoy the journey, where ever it may be.

dedmiston

Valencia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/19 09:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had a 30' bumper pull and now a 45' 5er. They've both been amazing and I can't image life without out 5er (just unpacked from a long weekend).

I recommend getting all the trailer your truck can pull, and don't bother with a horse trailer. You aren't a horse and neither is your CanAm.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/19 09:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Where I live many public parks are too tight for anything over 30’ in tow. It was one of the reasons I went with a truck camper and enclosed trailer so either side of the hitch is about 25’ long

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  Toy Haulers

> When does a TH become too big??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS