Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: When does a TH become too big??
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  Toy Haulers

> When does a TH become too big??

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
fitznj

nj

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/19 05:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I may be going against the grain here but "do you really NEED all that space?"
as you said you will be solo most of the time.

I went the other way and downsized; I travel 90% solo and am away for several
weeks at the time. I needed a TH as I take an dirt bike and bicycle with me but
I did not want to drag 30ft of trailer through the back-roads of the USA.

I bought a KZ 18TH (which may be too small for you razr) and find that it is
a perfect balance of weight/size/comfort/handling....... It has worked perfectly
getting into tight spaces in State Campgrounds.
The garage is my living area when empty and does not smell of gas/oil.
Works really well for me.

Just a thought.

Gerry

Dennis58

North Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/19 06:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the reply's. Ground clearance is very important for a Toy Hauler IMO, I think ATC and/or Sundowner Toy Haulers have the option of increased ground clearance by flipping the axels?????? Need to check on that.

I also think 25-32 Ft total length is my target zone.

As for truck I have a 2019 Chevy D/Max 3500HD DRW so I won't be running out of truck anytime soon.

I have considered a TC/Trailer combination but do want to retain the option of having the truck for day trips without the hassle of packing up every time I want to use the truck.

If I chose to go with a TH brand of something other than a ATC/Sundowner it will for sure be a used unit and I will upgrade where needed.

I think one of the weak points on most TH is the axels, they seem to put the lightest (cheapest) weight on them and owners overload to the point of having constant tire problems.

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/19 07:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A couple other brands to look at which are similar to the Sundowner are InTech, Feather Lite and Millennium. Consider getting a slide in the living quarters to open it up more.

Truck campers can be dropped at a site for use or left at home when you want to just use the truck. Except for the cheapest units, they have four power jacks and quick release turnbuckles allowing most people to unload in about 10 minutes and load in about twice that time if they are new to the process.

In my case, I had a bumper pull toy hauler that had an open garage/living space allowing for 15' of toys, yet was only a 22' model. This was accomplished by having a front bath and the bed in a powered loft or on a jack knife sofa that fit into slide out. With motorcycles, we could still use the loft but slept on the slide out couch when we had the dune buggy loaded. As the number and size of my toys increased, it became increasingly harder to travel somewhere and sleep enrout to the destination with the toys in the way if you did not unload. I really needed 18' or more of garage rather than stacking toys on internal ramps, which also was leading me toward the Sundowner style toy hauler on a gooseneck. This was resulting in 34-38' unit which would have limited us access to more scenic parks.

My second research went into motorhomes towing an enclosed trailer - What I found was many smaller ones are limited to 5000-7500 lbs towing capacity and I knew I would be loaded at 7000+ lbs with toys and enclosed trailer which was too close to limits for my comfort.

My deciding research went toward truck campers. Depending on your truck, these new campers may have no slide up to three and water capacities of 20-65 gallons. We chose a single slide model with on board generator as our first truck camper based on the capacity of my existing truck. It served us well, but we had been spoiled with more space and capacity in our toy hauler and upgraded three years later to a bigger truck and two years later to a bigger camper fitting of that truck. We are happy with our decision and not looking at making change other than possibly a larger enclosed trailer later and I am leaning toward a stacker so I do not add to my length. Currently, I have 20' enclosed trailer with a 10k lb rating on torsion axles. I actually chose a lower riding model so I could carry cars as well as toys, so break over angles were important on the ramp transitions.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

Dennis58

North Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/19 08:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bedlam, I also seem to have your problem as I'm not sure what Toy I'm going after. This all started out as a Honda Quad that morphed into a Dune Buggy (V8) or SXS plus KTM Enduro in there somewhere.

As the saying goes buy your toys first than a TH to fit them.

Dennis58

North Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/19 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is a 2018 Featherlite 24 Ft Toy Hauler which means 24' floor plus 8' to the nose for a total of 32' Given that 4' of that is in the bed of the truck you are dragging 28'. Not bad BUT IMO this TH is butt ugly compared to a ATC/Sundowner considering the price is the same.

2018 Featherlite

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/19 10:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did not mind the look of the Featherlite, but a requirement from my wife was a dedicated living area from the garage. Deciding to separate the garage from the living quarters ended up being a good idea for us because now we can upgrade one or the other plus we can leave the garage behind at home for about a third of our trips which results in a 25' RV that is quite versatile.

This was out 22' toy hauler with slide and 15'+ of garage:
[image]

This was our 9' truck camper with 20' trailer:
[image]

This is current 11.5' truck camper with same 20' trailer:
[image]

nayther

Burbank, CA

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/19 11:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dennis58 wrote:

Here is a 2018 Featherlite 24 Ft Toy Hauler which means 24' floor plus 8' to the nose for a total of 32' Given that 4' of that is in the bed of the truck you are dragging 28'. Not bad BUT IMO this TH is butt ugly compared to a ATC/Sundowner considering the price is the same.

2018 Featherlite

YUCK!

Where are the windows? WAY too low too.

DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

Dennis58

North Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/19 09:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nayther wrote:

YUCK!

Where are the windows? WAY too low too.

I shot an email out to a Sundowner dealer asking if the axels could be flipped to add additional ground clearance.

Maybe I'm off track here but it would seem to me that a toy hauler (unless being used to just haul a car) would need good ground clearance when going to off road riding type sites.

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/19 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I thought Sundowner used torsion axles? If this the case you need a frame lift, reindexed torsion arms or longer arms to get lift.

Dennis58

North Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/19 11:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bedlam wrote:

I thought Sundowner used torsion axles? If this the case you need a frame lift, reindexed torsion arms or longer arms to get lift.

If that is the case I would assume the additional ground clearance question is no.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  Toy Haulers

> When does a TH become too big??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS