cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

We did Ca>Brice>Yellowstone>Glacier>Ca -15 nights, ask away!

SkullAndSquirre
Explorer
Explorer
Here is the Route:
The prices on the screen shot are wrong. Some are deposits, some were the entire cost for both our rigs.

Here is the Rig:
27Reok by Winnebago, pulled by 2012 F-250 Gasser.
appx. 4500 towing and touring miles at an avg. 9 mpg.

Initial impressions of the trip.

One day for Bryce is not enough, you need two to three. This was an offshoot visit, that we decided will be worth more time in the future. We left at hip season and we arrived at places as they were opening up, this worked out awesomely in some cases but not in others. We had to drive in the snow at Bryce, and the Road to the Sun in Glacier was closed due to avalanches. Also, one of the exits to Yellowstone was just dug out of the snow when we got there, so if you do go this early in the season be flexible.

We loved Yellowstone, but bring your patience. There are a lot of tour busses, as well as a lot of local speedsters who have had enough of it all. Throw in limited parking and you got yourself a good recipe for colorful language.
Get GOOD binoculars. We saw several bears, a wolf, a Moose and a ton of Bison. I personally found the various mud pots, and thermal activity fascinating and inspiring. We will be back!

Glacier was nice, but with the Road to the Sun closed we spent many extra hours in the car, rounding the park to see the other highlights. It was worth it. Bring a full tank of gas, ask about construction on the highway first and have plenty of snacks. The short boat tour in Two Medicine is charming and will never be forgotten, a must do. We love natural beauty so we were also extremely taken by the Many Glacier Hotel and mountains, just incredible to us (I say 'us' because others in our group were not as taken back, so perspective is needed).

All in all, it was a trip of a lifetime, with many memorable moments and I'd probably rank the experience with Yellow Stone as the highlight, Brice as close second, and Glacier way up there in beauty if you are willing to put in the miles. Grand Tetons are cool, but go there before Glacier or they won't look as grand. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Other tips:
Cracker Barrel has the best pancakes.
Cut your drinking back in altitude! It creeps up quick.
Bring better than average Binoculars.
Montana will be hot one moment, and cold the next moment.
WAZE was good, so was apple maps, but Google maps worked better.

See you all on the road,
Safe Travels.
5 REPLIES 5

SkullAndSquirre
Explorer
Explorer
D.E.Bishop wrote:
I don't intend this to be a smart a$$ answer but it does seem that way, next time try December through end of March. Is it cooool in the real winter.

I agree with the binoculars and would add a camera with a great telephoto lens. Mine is a point and shoot but looks wile a DSLR. It is equivelent to a 400mm lens.

We really like Oasis in Vegas but the KOA is #2. Ruby's plowed spaces for 6 RVs in April a few years ago during Spring(Easter) Break. Awsome trip you took.

I could see doing late winter at Ruby's! We would have to get some slide toppers. When we were there we got a splash of snow in the morning and it was romantic and fun. ..until we had to leave and I realized I was going to be on the roof so we could pull slides in, haha. On our way out from Ruby's it was snowing on the pass which had me puckering. There were a few tracks that were all over the place, and there was a flipped car as well. I'd need to figure out the safest way to haul in the snow too.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I don't intend this to be a smart a$$ answer but it does seem that way, next time try December through end of March. Is it cooool in the real winter.

I agree with the binoculars and would add a camera with a great telephoto lens. Mine is a point and shoot but looks wile a DSLR. It is equivelent to a 400mm lens.

We really like Oasis in Vegas but the KOA is #2. Ruby's plowed spaces for 6 RVs in April a few years ago during Spring(Easter) Break. Awsome trip you took.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

SkullAndSquirre
Explorer
Explorer
There are a couple factors in these prices and it would be easy to do it cheaper. Some are for two sites, but primarily it is because I looked for the best long pull through resort sites I could find. We quickly found that we could not reliably reserve sites in the parks and we did not feel like risking our trip on the first come first serve system.

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
Those prices are crazy.That's why we stay at state and federal parks. 2016 at Madison in Yellowstone $13 a night, no hookups with senior pass.Same at Houston Mesa in Payson ,Arizona. $17.50 with electric at Canyon Point Campground and $19.00 a night at Hickory Creek COE campground near Ft Worth with water and electric and we were right on the lake.

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
Kooooll !!