cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Diesel Fill up

GJGAR
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 33' 5th wheel being towed by an F350 diesel. I always fill up in the auto lanes but it can be a real challenge at times. If I go to a flyin J or a Pilot station can I fill up where the trucks fill up?
I remember years ago going to a station and the diesel pump stem was too large to fit in my truck. What has been your experience?
40 REPLIES 40

pyoung47
Explorer
Explorer
Loves, Flying J etc. tend to have their diesel priced well beyond what anyone else charges. The Good Sam discount or their card discount still does not bring it down to other's prices. But . . . they are convenient, and they do usually have a dump station.

JIMMY034
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Really amazing all the people that have a phobia about filling the truck with a RV attached.

No kidding.
2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500 HD 4X4, 6.6L Duramax/Allison, Amsoil dual oil bypass filter system, Demco Recon 21K hitch. 2004 Puma 28' 5th wheel. USAF/Desert Storm Vet. CDL-A driver for Walmart.

JIMMY034
Explorer
Explorer
buc1980 wrote:
I don't like to fill at the truck station first because they are more expensive and then it take to long to fill up.You got to go inside to put a deposit to turn the pump on.Then you got to go back to pay that to much hassle.The only time I go is when I buy DEF.It is a lot cheaper and fresh.

I've only owned a diesel for less than a year but I've never seen diesel cost more at the truck pumps than at the car pumps, and I drive truck so I get all over, every station I've seen is the same price at any pump on the premises. Maybe you're thinking of the signs with two different prices that say one price for cash, higher price for credit...

Also the truck lanes are anything but slower, they are high-volume, high-flow pumps, as they are usually filling dual tanks taking anywhere from 200 to 400 gallons.
2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500 HD 4X4, 6.6L Duramax/Allison, Amsoil dual oil bypass filter system, Demco Recon 21K hitch. 2004 Puma 28' 5th wheel. USAF/Desert Storm Vet. CDL-A driver for Walmart.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
JIMMY034 wrote:
I have only had a diesel since last August, this is my first. I avoid pumps anywhere near gas pumps. Plus it only takes about seven seconds to fill my tank LOL. The high-flow of the truck diesel pumps is really appreciated when the wind is blowing -13ยฐF air around. Plus the DEF is right at the pumps, I have using the containers. There is nothing wrong with using truck lanes (and I'm a truck driver), nowhere does it say 'semis only.' Just move up when you're done if you have to go inside for anything, so anyone behind you can fuel up when you're done.

But they stink.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

JIMMY034
Explorer
Explorer
I have only had a diesel since last August, this is my first. I avoid pumps anywhere near gas pumps. Plus it only takes about seven seconds to fill my tank LOL. The high-flow of the truck diesel pumps is really appreciated when the wind is blowing -13ยฐF air around. Plus the DEF is right at the pumps, I have using the containers. There is nothing wrong with using truck lanes (and I'm a truck driver), nowhere does it say 'semis only.' Just move up when you're done if you have to go inside for anything, so anyone behind you can fuel up when you're done.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Really amazing all the people that have a phobia about filling the truck with a RV attached.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

TimnJo
Explorer
Explorer
hotpepperkid wrote:
azdryheat wrote:
I cringe thinking back to the days before an aux tank in my bed. I haven't been to the pumps with my trailer in several years.

Its been over 10 years since I have been to the pumps with my trailer attached

Me too, love my auxiliary tank, never have to worry about filling up while towing.
2010 Carriage Cameo 36FWS
2018 Silverado 3500HD D/A Double Cab Dually LT

bigdon68
Explorer
Explorer
I totally agree. My first year of camping and trying to get the 5'ver under the station awning did it for me. The real clincher was when the DW had to stop traffic while I backed out onto the highway. She said never again.
Auxiliary tank in the 2017 F450 is 55 gallons giving me a total of 103. The only stopping I do is the rest stop and when we get to the campground.

See MY PICTURES below

SidecarFlip wrote:
stickdog wrote:
You don't mention the year of your F350 both my 09 and my 17 accept the larger nozzle. Don't know about years earlier than 09.

My 'vintage' 97 F350 diesel fits the truck nozzle. It's a tight fit but it fits.

I always use the truck lanes 'cause I'm a truck...lol

I too have a 100 gallon in bed auxillary tank.
2017 F450 Lariat Shadow Black / Magnetic, LB, 6.7, Chrome Pkg. TS3 Air Hitch, Retrax, 55 Gal.Aux.Tank
2017 DRV Mobile Suites,induction cooktop, solar, f/b paint, MorRyde IS, 17.5" Tires,residential frig, 3" riser, MorRyde Steps

MY PICTURES

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
hotpepperkid wrote:
azdryheat wrote:
I cringe thinking back to the days before an aux tank in my bed. I haven't been to the pumps with my trailer in several years.

You only stay in pull thru sites?

Ron, I think you have that backwards!

My comment was based on he never fills truck with RV attached so he must not like back in spaces either.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
hotpepperkid wrote:
azdryheat wrote:

Ron, I think you have that backwards!
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

one_strange_tex
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to mention something, since the original question was about using the big rig truck pumps vs RV lanes at Flying J or Pilot. Some have mentioned the downside of not being able to pay directly from the truck lanes. Pilot/Flying J does offer the RV Plus card, which can be used to pay at the pump at either RV, Auto, and Truck Diesel lanes.

You can apply online and they do a credit check on you, since basically they are administering you in a similar fashion to their commercial fleet customers. You call up your outstanding balance online and pay with a draft on the bank account of your choice. You have an online ID/password with them and a PIN for use at the pump with your RV Plus card. They do not bill you, you must go in and check on line routinely and pay the outstanding balance by the due date.

I have inquired as to the availability of this type of arrangement for non-commercial customers from other major truck stop chains such as Loves. It is not available at any others that I have found.

I now preferentially stop for fillups at Pilot/Flying J when I can, even though I think Loves are impressive, well run truck stops. Pilot/Flying J has extended this courtesy to me as an RV customer, telling me they value my business. Loves does not extend this courtesy, telling me they value my RV business less than Pilot/Flying J does.
one_strange_texan
Currently between RV's
Former 5th wheel owner (Montana 3402RL)

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
ACZL wrote:
Few questions I have for those w/ aux tanks. Yes it seems nice to have all that fuel, but doesn't cut down on your cargo capacity?,Seems like a lot of extra weight. Plus, yes you can go 800-1,000 miles w/o getting fuel, but don't you still have to stop every 4-6 hours for things? Once at destination, how do you know where "cheap" fuel is to fill back up?
I have a 36 gallon auxiliary tank, about 250 lbs. I'm driving a 1 ton dually so I'm in pretty good shape for capacity. It adds about 360 miles to my distance I can travel before needing fuel. OTOH I have no desire for a 90-100 gallon tank, you're just using fuel to haul fuel around. That's around 500 pounds, more than I have any desire to tote around.

I usually transfer fuel when my main tank gets down to between 1/2 and 3/4 tank. The really nice thing is I don't have to visit a stinky, noisy truck stop to refuel and take a break. And the real plus is if you spend a fair amount of time on the two lane roads, truck stops are fewer and farther between, and diesel pumps can be a real hassle to get to, especially with a 40' toyhauler, so you simply have no worries.

I don't worry about fuel prices, I fill up when it's convenient for me, not when the truck says I have to. I like being in charge.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
hotpepperkid wrote:
azdryheat wrote:

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Never had a problem. Have a 2006 F-350.