Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Diesel Fill up
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Diesel Fill up

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
buc1980

houston tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/19 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't like to fill at the truck station first because they are more expensive and then it take to long to fill up.You got to go inside to put a deposit to turn the pump on.Then you got to go back to pay that to much hassle.The only time I go is when I buy DEF.It is a lot cheaper and fresh.

2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,14750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.

ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/19 08:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

20, 30, 40 cents more per gallon in truck lanes VS out front at same station? Knew of maybe 5-10 cents, but not 20-40 cents more. Some charge more as well for CC which is BS IMO. Using truck lanes is much easier to maneuver around than even the RV lanes out front. Wear some type of glove, but I use plastic gloves like folks at deli counters wear, When done, toss into trash can at fuel pump.

Few questions I have for those w/ aux tanks. Yes it seems nice to have all that fuel, but doesn't cut down on your cargo capacity?,Seems like a lot of extra weight. Plus, yes you can go 800-1,000 miles w/o getting fuel, but don't you still have to stop every 4-6 hours for things? Once at destination, how do you know where "cheap" fuel is to fill back up?

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/19 09:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ACZL wrote:

20, 30, 40 cents more per gallon in truck lanes VS out front at same station? Knew of maybe 5-10 cents, but not 20-40 cents more. Some charge more as well for CC which is BS IMO. Using truck lanes is much easier to maneuver around than even the RV lanes out front. Wear some type of glove, but I use plastic gloves like folks at deli counters wear, When done, toss into trash can at fuel pump.

Few questions I have for those w/ aux tanks. Yes it seems nice to have all that fuel, but doesn't cut down on your cargo capacity?,Seems like a lot of extra weight. Plus, yes you can go 800-1,000 miles w/o getting fuel, but don't you still have to stop every 4-6 hours for things? Once at destination, how do you know where "cheap" fuel is to fill back up?

GasBuddy is one of the largest fuel price apps around. The site itself leaves a lot to be desired (IMO, it needs a massive makeover), but it's about 99% accurate on prices.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 61 Year Member

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/19 10:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tvov wrote:

Many years ago when I had a 2000 F250 7.3, we stopped in New Jersey off of 287 to fill up. The station had the large nozzle which didn't fit our truck. The attendant (New Jersey still has the "full serve only" rule...) took the nozzle and just carefully put it against the smaller opening and filled my truck. It can be done, but I am pretty sure it was a "standard" fill pump and not a high-speed pump.

Did that a couple times with the last truck. Just barely crack the valve open and be careful not to take a shower.

Luckily we very rarely to long driving days, so we usually fill up before hooking up.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/19 11:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's really simple for those who don't worry about every cent and like convenience.

Truck stops are next to the freeway and easy to access. Simply have the wife go inside to prepay with pump number. Tell attendant Diesel amount you won't exceed and DEF if needed and amount not to exceed. While you are fueling she can shop, get some food and use the facilities. When you are done call her cell and let it ring twice and hang up. This tells her to go pay. You pull forward and go in to use the facilities and then you both head right back to the freeway. EZ CHEEZY.

Modern Truck Stops are VERY nice and have food that is from healthy to not so healthy.

I carry a 5 as a backup, used it once. Not wasting bed/toolbox space for additional tank.

If I did anything I would replace 32 gallon tank with a TITAN 55 gallon replacement tank.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

LanceRKeys

Amarillo, TX

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/19 12:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My auxiliary tank does take up cargo, but I’m not overweight, so no concern there. Price is less of a concern than conscience for me, I don’t like to stop every two hours for fuel and I get nervous when I have less than half a tank. I really like the convenience of not having to fuel with the trailer attached. We may stop along the way, but not for fuel. If I were traveling alone, I could do 6-8 hours without stopping, with the kids... not so much.

hotpepperkid

Kingman AZ

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/19 02:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

azdryheat wrote:

I cringe thinking back to the days before an aux tank in my bed. I haven't been to the pumps with my trailer in several years.

Its been over 10 years since I have been to the pumps with my trailer attached

2000 Ford F-350 SRW 4X4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel 50 gal X-ferflow in the bed tank. Banks big exhaust and Stinger kit.

joelc

Cedar Point, NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/19 02:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never had a problem. Have a 2006 F-350.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/19 05:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hotpepperkid wrote:

azdryheat wrote:

I cringe thinking back to the days before an aux tank in my bed. I haven't been to the pumps with my trailer in several years.

Its been over 10 years since I have been to the pumps with my trailer attached

You only stay in pull thru sites?

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/19 05:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ACZL wrote:

I have a 36 gallon auxiliary tank, about 250 lbs. I'm driving a 1 ton dually so I'm in pretty good shape for capacity. It adds about 360 miles to my distance I can travel before needing fuel. OTOH I have no desire for a 90-100 gallon tank, you're just using fuel to haul fuel around. That's around 500 pounds, more than I have any desire to tote around.

I usually transfer fuel when my main tank gets down to between 1/2 and 3/4 tank. The really nice thing is I don't have to visit a stinky, noisy truck stop to refuel and take a break. And the real plus is if you spend a fair amount of time on the two lane roads, truck stops are fewer and farther between, and diesel pumps can be a real hassle to get to, especially with a 40' toyhauler, so you simply have no worries.

I don't worry about fuel prices, I fill up when it's convenient for me, not when the truck says I have to. I like being in charge.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Diesel Fill up
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS