cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire pressure

WrightOn
Explorer
Explorer
My new to me unit has Load Range G tires that indicate 110 psi cold max. I used it last year over 2000 miles at 80 psi as that was the pressure leaving the dealership. Iโ€™m headed out from Illinois to Maine this week. Do I jack them up to 110, keep them at 80, or somewhere in between?
Thanks for your help.
Brian
Out numbered 4:1
2011 F350 PSD 6.7L Dually
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Empty Nest'n with our Rott!
35 REPLIES 35

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Ah, but don't overlook that very important first phrase of that CYA statement: "Unless trying to resolve poor ride quality problems with an RV trailer".

I don't thinks its a CYI but rather info for newbs.
Yeah that area is usually when some one over tired the trailer big time.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ah, but don't overlook that very important first phrase of that CYA statement: "Unless trying to resolve poor ride quality problems with an RV trailer".
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Goodyear Tire and Rubber .... weighing RVs
Special Considerations

**Unless trying to resolve poor ride quality problems with an RV trailer, it is recommended that trailer tires be inflated to the pressure indicated on the sidewall of the tire. Trailer tires experience significant lateral (side-to-side) loads due to vehicle sway from uneven roads or passing vehicles. Using the inflation pressure engraved on the sidewall will provide optimum load carrying capacity and minimize heat build-up.**

Straight from Goodyear tire website so should clear up what Goodyear actually says. max pressure for trailers
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
WrightOn,

Know what the load is on your tires. Use the weight/inflation chart and add 5psi to the recommended pressure.

ORRRR simply, blindly go with MAX sidewall cold inflation.

MOST RV's need MAX as that is what they determine the carrying capacity by is the tires.

Some RV's like DRV for example have triple axles and they also have GY "H" tires that have MAX listed at 125psi. That condition the tires can be SAFELY ran at much lower pressures.

Bonus of using the charts and adding 5psi is better stopping, ride and tire wear. straight from the mouth of GY Tech Support.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

WrightOn
Explorer
Explorer
JIMMY034 wrote:
Simple answer, always inflate to the max pressure found on the sidewall of the tire, but only when tires are cool. Underinflated tire sidewalls flex and build up heat, and that's what causes blowouts. So that's the actual answer to the actual question, everyone can talk about weight ratings and loads etc all day long.

Thank you for getting the thread back on track...see what I did there? I inflated to 100 psi and made the 1200 mile trip to Acadia. Maybe I pushed my luck a bit being 10 under sidewall/sticker psi, but I did go 3000 miles last year at 90 without incident. I know....past results don't mean future success.
Out numbered 4:1
2011 F350 PSD 6.7L Dually
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Empty Nest'n with our Rott!

JIMMY034
Explorer
Explorer
Simple answer, always inflate to the max pressure found on the sidewall of the tire, but only when tires are cool. Underinflated tire sidewalls flex and build up heat, and that's what causes blowouts. So that's the actual answer to the actual question, everyone can talk about weight ratings and loads etc all day long.
2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500 HD 4X4, 6.6L Duramax/Allison, Amsoil dual oil bypass filter system, Demco Recon 21K hitch. 2004 Puma 28' 5th wheel. USAF/Desert Storm Vet. CDL-A driver for Walmart.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Looks like the GY Endurance ST255/85R16 LRE is about $207. Not cheap or "high dollar" but they do hold up well!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

CALandLIN
Explorer
Explorer
When Goodyear introduced their new (Endurance) ST tire line-up they had a new size. It's a ST255/85R16 LRE with a load capacity of 4080# @ 80 PSI. I noticed that some of the newer Montana 5th wheel trailers are coming with those tires as OEM. It's a little surprising to see a Keystone trailer with high dollar OEM tires. I also noticed another ST tire manufacturer touting that size, Greenball.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
justme wrote:
Calling Chineese made tire junk is more political than fact. Many Chineese tire are ISO cetified and many so-call American tires are made in China. So folks please don't confuse facts with politics. Buy American is a good thing however.

The issues with poly carcass ST tires came with load C/D/E ratings even when all were made in the USA and made later made in china. I was around towing for a living and our domestic tire makers ST tires had the same issues if not worse. BTDT.
The 16" Sailun S637 were probably the first new gen made over there load G tire that hit the streets sometime in the '10 era mostly on regional service trailers.....later on rv trailers.
Now we have several brands made over there commercial grade all steel ply carcass ST load G tires with real service records (years and miles).

And we have lots of excellent P and LT tires made in china to choose from for our tow vehicles/trailers.

Planning
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Michelle.S wrote:
Just an FYI: Not all Sailuns are made in China, I saw a stack of Sailun 17.5" tires that were labeled "Made in Korea".

IMHO that is MUCH better!

Mine were made in Vietnam, the old stomping ground for Michelin.

http://www.rjsmith.com/Dau_Tieng_and_Michelin_Complete.html
2016 AF 29-5K; 2016 F350 6.7, 4x4, CCLB DRW

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Michelle.S wrote:
Just an FYI: Not all Sailuns are made in China, I saw a stack of Sailun 17.5" tires that were labeled "Made in Korea".

IMHO that is MUCH better!

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

justme
Explorer
Explorer
Calling Chineese made tire junk is more political than fact. Many Chineese tire are ISO cetified and many so-call American tires are made in China. So folks please don't confuse facts with politics. Buy American is a good thing however.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"x2! Now, if Sailun would get into the 15" D/E rating market, with the same quality, they'd =own= it."

ENDURANCE has a stellar record and is at a very competitive price. OH and it's US Made.

NEVER have I said the Sailun is a bad tire. I have had ONE GY tire issue and they stood behind it. EVERY RV I have owned over 25 years has had US Made GY's. Not even a flat over that time.

GY's on my vehicles? NOPE I prefer Michelins.