cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Flat tow setup

sarhvac1
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for thoughts, I was looking at a 2014 CRV good price low miles 38k was considering going flat tow getting rid of the dolly. Then the shock set in called 2 different dealers both gave the same price for complete set up with blue ox $4500. - $5000.i was flabbergasted to say the least. I know you have to remove the front of the car but good grief that made the tow dolly seem like a keeper .
sarhvac1
08 Forest River Georgetown
14 REPLIES 14

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I just completed installing base plates on my 2006 Grand Vitara, it was about $500 for the base plates and the adapters for my tow bar. There was $50 in miscellaneous parts and another $500 in common tool sets needed(I already had the tools). It took 5 hours for the installation because of Mr. Murphy and mid-year design changes in the GV.

Here is my post about the install. One of the guys commented that now I know why the shop wanted to charge 8 hours for the job at $150 and hour.

The big savings is cool, I bought a new radio and it will pay for the aux brake system, the BIG savings is I know how it was done and how the base plates and BP's were put together. Correctly! There were lots of U clips and screws used to replace the plastic push pin body rivets that were broken during disassembly. The torque on the bolts is correct and was stressed and checked before being covered by the body. Absolutely none of the bolts can be re torqued without removing the front body assembly. Shops often don't pay attention to fine details like broken plastic push rivets.

Today another two hours putting the cable in for the brake and tail lights.

Two weeks to get the Aux Braking system ordered and installed.

The big reward is of course the sea trials afterwards. Going to see the DGD and her husband in OR where we dropped them off to start their new life in the slow lane.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Base plates average $400 a tow bar around $800. Brake system approx $1100. Wiring will be around $175. Labor will be around 6-8 hours. So around $3300.

I picked up a โ€œused one timeโ€ tow bar and brake system for $300. $400 for a new base plate and $160 for the wiring with diodes. Did all the work myself. The base plate is a 2 hour job. The wiring is the killer, takes 4-5 hours to do it right.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
Camp world has a deal for install anything for $55 or so. I bought my baseplates thru CW and had them install along with the light wiring setup. At the time was like $29 per item, but must buy from CW, Could have gotten baseplates cheaper off net but then would need to pay again at time $75-100/hr for install!

they guy that sold me the rv gave me his brake setup and I did the install myself. CW would not do it since it was USED. But was pretty simple it was the hard mount AF unit I think. No messing with putting something in or pulling out to drive much easier and no storage space issues.

Ro_n_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
If you're handy, consider installing a baseplate, toad wiring and a Ready Brute Elite tow bar yourself. Spent $1800 on setting up our Grand Cherokee. Would not be surprised if there are on-line videos showing how to install on a CR-V. I found the videos extremely helpful.
2020 Dutch Star 4328 on FL Chassis
2018 Grand Cherokee Limited
Ready Brute Elite Towbar & Road Master Wiring

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
northshore wrote:
Iryrob,
Thanks for that heads up on the wireless tail lights, have you tried them?
Im getting ready to do a flat towing setup and those lights seem like the ticket.
Thanks again

Been using a set of TOW MATE wireless lights for 8 years. They work everytime, in any weather, and never scratch the paint. All you have to do is recharge them after a days towing.

northshore
Explorer
Explorer
Iryrob,
Thanks for that heads up on the wireless tail lights, have you tried them?
Im getting ready to do a flat towing setup and those lights seem like the ticket.
Thanks again

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
My son made exactly that change with same vehicle and he is very glad he did, No comment on the cost but I know it's darn expensive. Just the base plate for the Toyota many cost $500. Then labor at $100 or more/hr. for most of a day. Then the cost of the tow bar, all the wiring and the brake for the Crv. And more. The CRV is a little heavy for my 30 ft. Class C, several hundred pounds more than my 3000 lb. Ford Focus. I would prefer a 2500 lb. Honda Fit stick perhaps.
Jayco-noslide

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
I've done three Grand Cherokee's myself over the years. The Blue OX base plate is about $450. Craigslist Blue OX Aventa tow bar $250. Magnetic LED towing lights $50. So there is a DIY approach...
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look Here... Ready
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, it seems like a high, very high price. It takes about an hour or so to remove and replace the plastic fascia on the front of the CRV.
By the way, for a 14 CRV, same as my 12 CRV, it depends on the driveline whether or not it can be towed on a dolly. Front wheel drive can be towed 4 down or on a dolly. If it is All Wheel Drive it must be towed 4 down or on a trailer.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

Rolin
Explorer
Explorer
We were able to find a used set up. Came with all the cables, towbar, aux brake. Had to purchase the base plate. Total cost was $800. It was all in excellent shape and saved a lot of money. I was able to do all the installation on the car and the motorhome did not need any additional changes. Just connect it up.

You might consider looking for a used setup. Should be able to get it set up for way less than $4000.
Rolin

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
That price is about $1000 high depending on their labor rate and type of auxiliary braking system.

First thing forget Blue Ox, overpriced and uneven quality welds.

Base Plate Roadmaster $425
Tow Bar Roadmaster $650 Installation included with base plate
Aux Brake RV3 Brake $1250 Portable unit no installation charge
Wireless Tow Lights $325 Magnetic Wireless unit no Installation charge

Total Equipment $2650
Base Plate Labor $1000 8.0 hrs @ $125/hr.

Total Ready to Tow $3650

sarhvac1
Explorer
Explorer
Don't think the rig needs anything and not sure what brake Assist didn't ask didn't care after hearing that price.. but both places said complete setup and installed for blue ox
sarhvac1
08 Forest River Georgetown

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Seems high to me. What aux brake are they suggesting?

Car involves base plate, aux brake, brake away and wiring. Tow bar and safety cables. What if anything needs to be done to the MH?
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob