Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2020 Ecodiesel specs

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
FCA

tfltruck ram 1500 ecodiesel

The fact that Ram is running a 8 speed as opposed to Ford and GM's ten speeds is not an issue. Here is why, the ten speed is never going to be able to hold the top gear and maybe the top two gears unloaded and they will never hit them towing. You simply can not run fast enough to hold those gears. The ZF nine speed will not hold the top gear until you hit 78 mph and that is an issue for customers. They complain that the trans shifts in and out of gear all the time.

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.
14 REPLIES 14

ib516
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
ib516 wrote:
Not that it's the same transmission, but I used to have a 2014 Jeep Cherokee with the ZF 9 speed. It never saw 9th gear - ever. 8 was rare, 7th was the norm at highway speed.

That's because the drivetrain wasn't properly geared right to the engines power.

Yes I agree. I always considered they used the 9 speed for some European version with a diesel they were going to come out with that could use the higher gears.

The Ex still has that Jeep, and last time I saw it, it had just over 100k miles and no issues. Not bad for a gen 1, all new FCA product 🙂
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
All one needs to do is Google here let me help a brother out and you will see for yourself. Like ZF said after 8 there just is not enough return in efficiency to make it worth the effort. Ford is using a in house 8 speed for their front wheel drive cars
Ford Authority wrote:
But Ford has yet to use the nine-speed automatic transmission, despite having just revealed freshened-up versions of the Edge and Transit Connect. The reason? According to a recent article published by Automotive News, Ford didn’t see enough extra efficiency from the new transmission’s ninth gear to justify the extra cost and weight. Ford has instead come up with a pair of eight-speed automatics to serve in the GM transmission’s place.

There is a class action against GM over their 8 speed? I thought they were going to use the Ford ten speed? So let me get this straight, Ford and GM decided to team up to defer the RD costs of coming up with their own transmissions. With Ford taking on the 10 speed and GM doing the 9 speed. Now after the dust clears GM is running it's own 8 speed in their RWD vehicles (trucks and big SUV's just like FCA) over the ten speed of Ford? Ford decides they are going to build their own 8 speed for use in the FWD cars because like ZF they understand their is no justification for a 9 speed. Note should read 10 speed not 9.

WTH so tell me again why Ford and G.M. supposably teamed up? You just can't make this sh*t up. Bottom line it looks like even numbered gears is the way to go. I did test drive a new Jeep Cherokee with the 9 speed and didn't have any issues with the transmission in it. But it was a 2019 so maybe FCA has figured the trans tune out in the 9 speed now.

Don

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
hvac wrote:
Its been real quiet from the blue oval and a 10 spd in the 250 and 350. Me thinks it's going to shake up this world of gas vs diesel.

I'm waiting as the 6.4 8 spd and a 4.10 from FCA is tempting. But they have let me down on the AEM for the eco diesel. I think FCA is in turmoil, lots of issues at the executive level.

What is the issue with the AEM? Had my truck tuned four days later drove up to GDE and had their tune reinstalled, should get my check in 6 to 8 weeks after the dealer gets everything sent in. I love me some free money.

Don

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
Its been real quiet from the blue oval and a 10 spd in the 250 and 350. Me thinks it's going to shake up this world of gas vs diesel.

I'm waiting as the 6.4 8 spd and a 4.10 from FCA is tempting. But they have let me down on the AEM for the eco diesel. I think FCA is in turmoil, lots of issues at the executive level.

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
The thing that always seems to get lost in these high gear transmission discussions is that it is not just the first and max gear that makes a difference. If your only looking at can it pull maximum overdrive at x MPH towing or otherwise you are missing the big picture. These transmissions can skip gears making them much more versatile at fuel economy and use of available power at various throttle openings other than full go.

Don't get lost in the weeds only looking at that top gear number.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
troubledwaters wrote:
You better get your 10 speed looked at. Mine will tow in 9th at 65 mph on flats and downshifts to 8 going up hills (If i forget to put tow haul on it will also shift into 10th on flats, but struggles). Of course there are lots of variables, how heavy your foot is, the % grade, how much weight your towing, just to name a few. But mine tows just fine in 9th; and certainly 8th.

I drove a F150 2.7EB loaded modestly from Houston to Dallas and it ran in 10th gear the entire trip except for accelerating. I was impressed with 2.7EB and 10 speed transmission in terms of fuel economy and performance.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
ib516 wrote:
Not that it's the same transmission, but I used to have a 2014 Jeep Cherokee with the ZF 9 speed. It never saw 9th gear - ever. 8 was rare, 7th was the norm at highway speed.

That's because the drivetrain wasn't properly geared right to the engines power.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

womps
Explorer
Explorer
womps wrote:
Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:
FCA

The fact that Ram is running a 8 speed as opposed to Ford and GM's ten speeds is not an issue. Here is why, the ten speed is never going to be able to hold the top gear and maybe the top two gears unloaded and they will never hit them towing. You simply can not run fast enough to hold those gears. The ZF nine speed will not hold the top gear until you hit 78 mph and that is an issue for customers. They complain that the trans shifts in and out of gear all the time.

I drive dealer transfers for a Ford dealer. Majority of transfers are F-150 trucks. A couple of weeks ago I delivered an F-150 Lariat 4x4 with the 3.0 Powerstroke. It was a 360 mile trip, cruise set at 72 mph and 99% highway. What really impressed me about the diesel was how it held 10th gear up grades. I have delivered many 2,7 and 3,5 Ecoboost trucks and they wouldn’t come close to holding 10th like the diesel. Even delivered a couple of HO 3.5 Ecoboost Limited F-150 trucks and they didn’t hold 10th gear like the baby Powerstroke. By the way the lie-o-meter registered 25.1 mpg on that trip. I delivered a Lariat 4x4 with the 2.7 Ecoboost from the same dealer, same speed and conditions and it registered 21.4 on the 360 mile trip.
Don

Sorry Don, I tried to move your signature on the above post but couldn’t.

womps
Explorer
Explorer
Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:
FCA

I drive dealer transfers for a Ford dealer. Majority of transfers are F-150 trucks. A couple of weeks ago I delivered an F-150 Lariat 4x4 with the 3.0 Powerstroke. It was a 360 mile trip, cruise set at 72 mph and 99% highway. What really impressed me about the diesel was how it held 10th gear up grades. I have delivered many 2,7 and 3,5 Ecoboost trucks and they wouldn’t come close to holding 10th like the diesel. Even delivered a couple of HO 3.5 Ecoboost Limited F-150 trucks and they didn’t hold 10th gear like the baby Powerstroke. By the way the lie-o-meter registered 25.1 mpg on that trip. I delivered a Lariat 4x4 with the 2.7 Ecoboost from the same dealer, same speed and conditions and it registered 21.4 on the 360 mile trip.
Don

ib516
Explorer
Explorer
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
Never could understand why they converted a great six speed with two OD’s to a mediocre five speed with four OD’s.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
It also can makes a difference in the available gear splits up to 8-9 wherever it tops out at towing. The more gears allows the engine to find an optimum rpm, especially important on a lower powered engine while towing.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

troubledwaters
Explorer
Explorer
You better get your 10 speed looked at. Mine will tow in 9th at 65 mph on flats and downshifts to 8 going up hills (If i forget to put tow haul on it will also shift into 10th on flats, but struggles). Of course there are lots of variables, how heavy your foot is, the % grade, how much weight your towing, just to name a few. But mine tows just fine in 9th; and certainly 8th.

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
Agree on this folks, a 10 speed will be mostly a 7 spd towing. I seldom see 8th and that's downhill or flat land with a strong tail wind.