Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: 2020 Ecodiesel specs
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > 2020 Ecodiesel specs

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Perrysburg Dodgeboy

Perrysburg, Ohio USA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/06/2003

View Profile



Posted: 06/11/19 05:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FCA

tfltruck ram 1500 ecodiesel

The fact that Ram is running a 8 speed as opposed to Ford and GM's ten speeds is not an issue. Here is why, the ten speed is never going to be able to hold the top gear and maybe the top two gears unloaded and they will never hit them towing. You simply can not run fast enough to hold those gears. The ZF nine speed will not hold the top gear until you hit 78 mph and that is an issue for customers. They complain that the trans shifts in and out of gear all the time.

Don


2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.


hvac

Michigan

Senior Member

Joined: 01/15/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 06/11/19 06:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Agree on this folks, a 10 speed will be mostly a 7 spd towing. I seldom see 8th and that's downhill or flat land with a strong tail wind.

troubledwaters

Potomac

Senior Member

Joined: 02/17/2017

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/11/19 07:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You better get your 10 speed looked at. Mine will tow in 9th at 65 mph on flats and downshifts to 8 going up hills (If i forget to put tow haul on it will also shift into 10th on flats, but struggles). Of course there are lots of variables, how heavy your foot is, the % grade, how much weight your towing, just to name a few. But mine tows just fine in 9th; and certainly 8th.

* This post was edited 06/11/19 07:54am by troubledwaters *

ksss

Eastern Idaho

Senior Member

Joined: 02/19/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/11/19 08:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It also can makes a difference in the available gear splits up to 8-9 wherever it tops out at towing. The more gears allows the engine to find an optimum rpm, especially important on a lower powered engine while towing.


2006 GMC 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

wilber1

Abbotsford B.C.

Senior Member

Joined: 12/16/2002

View Profile



Posted: 06/11/19 08:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never could understand why they converted a great six speed with two OD’s to a mediocre five speed with four OD’s.


"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

ib516

Canada - soon to be Costa Rica

Senior Member

Joined: 04/18/2003

View Profile



Posted: 06/11/19 08:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not that it's the same transmission, but I used to have a 2014 Jeep Cherokee with the ZF 9 speed. It never saw 9th gear - ever. 8 was rare, 7th was the norm at highway speed.


Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
All above are sold
Current: 07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z


womps

Olds

Senior Member

Joined: 08/22/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/11/19 08:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:

FCA

tfltruck ram 1500 ecodiesel

The fact that Ram is running a 8 speed as opposed to Ford and GM's ten speeds is not an issue. Here is why, the ten speed is never going to be able to hold the top gear and maybe the top two gears unloaded and they will never hit them towing. You simply can not run fast enough to hold those gears. The ZF nine speed will not hold the top gear until you hit 78 mph and that is an issue for customers. They complain that the trans shifts in and out of gear all the time.

I drive dealer transfers for a Ford dealer. Majority of transfers are F-150 trucks. A couple of weeks ago I delivered an F-150 Lariat 4x4 with the 3.0 Powerstroke. It was a 360 mile trip, cruise set at 72 mph and 99% highway. What really impressed me about the diesel was how it held 10th gear up grades. I have delivered many 2,7 and 3,5 Ecoboost trucks and they wouldn’t come close to holding 10th like the diesel. Even delivered a couple of HO 3.5 Ecoboost Limited F-150 trucks and they didn’t hold 10th gear like the baby Powerstroke. By the way the lie-o-meter registered 25.1 mpg on that trip. I delivered a Lariat 4x4 with the 2.7 Ecoboost from the same dealer, same speed and conditions and it registered 21.4 on the 360 mile trip.
Don


womps

Olds

Senior Member

Joined: 08/22/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/11/19 08:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

womps wrote:

Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:

FCA

tfltruck ram 1500 ecodiesel

The fact that Ram is running a 8 speed as opposed to Ford and GM's ten speeds is not an issue. Here is why, the ten speed is never going to be able to hold the top gear and maybe the top two gears unloaded and they will never hit them towing. You simply can not run fast enough to hold those gears. The ZF nine speed will not hold the top gear until you hit 78 mph and that is an issue for customers. They complain that the trans shifts in and out of gear all the time.

I drive dealer transfers for a Ford dealer. Majority of transfers are F-150 trucks. A couple of weeks ago I delivered an F-150 Lariat 4x4 with the 3.0 Powerstroke. It was a 360 mile trip, cruise set at 72 mph and 99% highway. What really impressed me about the diesel was how it held 10th gear up grades. I have delivered many 2,7 and 3,5 Ecoboost trucks and they wouldn’t come close to holding 10th like the diesel. Even delivered a couple of HO 3.5 Ecoboost Limited F-150 trucks and they didn’t hold 10th gear like the baby Powerstroke. By the way the lie-o-meter registered 25.1 mpg on that trip. I delivered a Lariat 4x4 with the 2.7 Ecoboost from the same dealer, same speed and conditions and it registered 21.4 on the 360 mile trip.
Don


Sorry Don, I tried to move your signature on the above post but couldn’t.

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 02/12/2011

View Profile


Online
Posted: 06/13/19 02:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ib516 wrote:

Not that it's the same transmission, but I used to have a 2014 Jeep Cherokee with the ZF 9 speed. It never saw 9th gear - ever. 8 was rare, 7th was the norm at highway speed.


That's because the drivetrain wasn't properly geared right to the engines power.


'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"Built Ford Proud"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"


FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 02/12/2011

View Profile


Online
Posted: 06/13/19 02:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

troubledwaters wrote:

You better get your 10 speed looked at. Mine will tow in 9th at 65 mph on flats and downshifts to 8 going up hills (If i forget to put tow haul on it will also shift into 10th on flats, but struggles). Of course there are lots of variables, how heavy your foot is, the % grade, how much weight your towing, just to name a few. But mine tows just fine in 9th; and certainly 8th.


I drove a F150 2.7EB loaded modestly from Houston to Dallas and it ran in 10th gear the entire trip except for accelerating. I was impressed with 2.7EB and 10 speed transmission in terms of fuel economy and performance.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > 2020 Ecodiesel specs
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.