cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

yakima to emumclaw Washington

Road_Phantom
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, we will be on route 90 in August heading west from Idaho to Enumclaw and wondered if route 12 to 410 over the chinook pass is a good alternative as far as steep grades go compared to the Snoqualmie pass. I don't mind the longer ride if it's an easier ride.
4 REPLIES 4

legsnred
Explorer
Explorer
410 Chinook Pass is by far the shortest route and a pretty drive but is also the most curves and climbs. Hwy 12 White Pass is the longest drive and curves and climbs but also a very pretty drive, I-90 is freeway driving no bad curves and lowest elevation pass but 18 can be terrible traffic jam.
:,)2003 F-350 4X4 PSD 2006 Everest 344J

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Snoqaulmie is built to interstate standards. It is fast and easy. My grandfather talked about driving the old road when it was dirt in Model A and there were 34 stream crossings. It is only a little over 3,000 feet.

Chinook and White Passes are why we take the lesser traveled roads in the West. Sure it is slower but a wonderful road to experience.

HuckleberryHunt
Explorer
Explorer
Agree. I-90 to hwy 18 is the better of the routes for ease of travel, but Chinook is beautiful and scenic.
2019 Outdoors RV 21DBS
2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
Equalizer 4-point WDH

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Snoqualmie Pass on I-90 is a much "easier" drive. The grades are gentler, the curves less, and the road is 4-lane. With plenty of traffic.

Chinook Pass is a 2-lane roadway with some long pulls and some interesting curves and "edges". It is, however, a much more interesting drive than I-90, and is driven by RV's of all persuasions all the time.

Oh, and just west of Yakima, near Naches, you'll find fantastic fruit stands!