Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Slide vs no slide
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Slide vs no slide

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
AlmostAnOldGuy

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/19 08:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I suppose it depends how you use it. When the Mrs. and I are hopping from place to place the slide stays in. No point putting it out each night only to need to clean off the top and bring it back in to hit the road. We can get to the dinette and move through-out the trailer okay.

Most of our use is like a portable cabin. We arrive at our destination and stay put. A single slide with the dinette and some extra storage opens up the space in the trailer and we really like it. I did have to take it to the dealer about the second year we had it when a there was a problem with the bracket that held the worm screw. That was repaired at a pretty low cost (forgot exactly what it was). Zero leaks in 8 years.

Take it easy,
Stu

2012 F150 HD/Max Payload (8200 GVWR, 2176 payload) SuperCrew EcoBoost
2008 Komfort Trailblazer T254S

campigloo

Baton Rouge, La

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/19 03:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have owned both. The first one had no slides and since we primarily took only weekend trips it was ok until the weather got bad. Ours just wasn’t made for lounging, but overall it was fine. Then we started taking a little longer trips. The single slide was a life saver. Never did have all the problems that every single other slide owner seems to have. Guess we’re just lucky. Now we have a 36’ trailer with opposing slides in the rear and a bedroom closet slide. The last three years we have averaged eight months a year in it. The slides are absolutely wonderful. We can use it with or without the slides extended and don’t have to open them to get to the bed, the bathroom or the kitchen. Both trailers have had toppers on them. Again, we haven’t had all the catastrophic failures that most people seem to have had. Lucky again! The seals haven’t failed, it hasn’t leaked water and the walls haven’t caved in. I also have never had to crawl up and sweep the roof before I close them. Toppers, for us, have been great. The wife and I have had to replace them once since it was bought in April of 2011. It took about and hour and a half for each one. Easy. The drawback, they do seem to be a bit colder in the winter. Our solution is just go somewhere warmer. I know not everyone can do that though and it’s not so cold as to make it unlivable. It is nice to be comfortable when inside is the only choice. So far the coach has 100,000+ miles on it and the slides haven’t fallen out yet. We have our first real problem with them actually just this week. One of the pinion gears needs to be replaced. Not bad for the thousands of times is been moved.
Hope whichever you get works great for you. Happy travels!!!!!

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/19 05:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have owned travel trailers and a fifth wheel trailer with slides. I got rid of them before they caused problems. Many of my friends are not this fortunate.

At the minimum, figure on one size larger or multiple air conditioners for Texas camping. And a larger generator to run them, because these things leak like a sieve. No more slides for me.

jerem0621

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/19 09:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a No slide TT. I am okay with the no slide.

The biggest advantage to a no slide TT, especially the 30 plus ft variety is that giant awning you can hang off the side. Many multi-Slide units are limited to a little awning. (Not all but some, mostly units with opposed slides)

It just depends on your usage.

For more than two people the slides really help. We made it work at 31.5 ft and were very comfy most of the time. Family of four.

BUT...every person. I have ever known with a slide unit eventually had to fight leaks or rotting slide floors.

Then again, every stick and tin trailer will leak eventually. Slide or no slide.

Me, I’m looking forward to that sweet triple axle 34 ft Airstream one day. No slide but oh so comfy!!

At the end of the day, get what makes you happy. Slide, no slide, Motorhome, tent. Whatever.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

Car Camper-Transport Vehicle is a 2011 Chevy Tahoe
Eureka Timberline 4
Favorite Brands:
Coleman, REI, Ozark Trail, and misc. Yard Sale finds

Family time is the best time!

~It’s kind of fun to do the impossible~
- Walt Disney-

Weldon

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/15/19 12:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have owned both in the past. No way I would buy one without the slides. Have used my present 5er for almost 15 years and have had no problems until recently0 Had to have the cylinders rebuilt. If I were going to put a trailer on a hunting lease and found one super deal on a trailer with no slides I might CONSIDER it. Like your thoughts of 2 bunk beds in the back.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Slide vs no slide
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.