Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Wide Open West - an Example

Traver8
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All,

I have been thinking about posting this for some time and have finally captured the picture I needed.

For all of you who are not familiar with the wide open spaces we have in the Western part of the country I thought I would share this example.

Some of you who have traveled may recognize this location as it is near a popular destination.

Hope this works.

Here is the photo link:
Click For Full-Size Image.
19 REPLIES 19

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
wows, this was the price for Diesel at Coldfoot Camp March of 2013. We were there for Aurora photography and sight seeing.

Up there you CAN'T argue........ the price is the price! :B

It gets REALLY dark up there, perfect for time-exposures!

Dan

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
wowens79 wrote:
I wonder what the prices are like at the last gas station after the sign, and the first one after the long stretch??

My range is only 175-200 miles

I don't remember what the prices were, but in general one doesn't go to Alaska (and in particular along the Dalton Highway) primarily to fill up with really inexpensive fuel. It didn't strike me as horribly outrageous given the remote locations.

The scenery, especially around and when crossing the Brooks range, more than makes up for the fuel costs. I don't care to think of what a 120 mile tow would have cost had that been necessary, though.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
'Next Services' implies that there is a fuel station RIGHT there.......so one fills up/tops off etc regardless of the price.

Hobbies are NOT cheap :B
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
I wonder what the prices are like at the last gas station after the sign, and the first one after the long stretch??

My range is only 175-200 miles
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Is the Dalton Highway in Alaska part of the west? There are 240 miles of no services between Coldfoot and Deadhorse.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
NV/OR 140 is one of the longest stretches. Winnemucca, NV to Lakeview, OR.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
^ The boss would have said “We can make that, no problem! It’s fine. It’ll be fine.” LOL

Of course, she knows about the Jerry can too. :W

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
In the West there used to a lot of small gas stations and motels in remote areas out by themselves. People did not travel as far in a day with the older cars and more primitive roads. Many of those old buildings are still standing but long closed.

It is counter intuitive but there are lots of places like Nevada,eastern OR, NE CA, Utah, etc where the facilities are actually further apart today than they used to be.

I cannot imagine having a vehicle with a range of 175 miles. A Ford diesel has a stock 35 gallon tank. Running empty the range is well over 700 miles. Pulling a TT I can still go about 450 miles.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Especially important when you only have about 175 miles range.

I had to make a quick exit for this one:

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Long “No services” stretches like that are why I started carrying a 20 liter Jerry can of Diesel on the back of the camper. Headwinds and terrain can also change your fuel consumption enough to put you in pucker territory unexpectedly. Having that extra to put in the tank has saved my bacon several times.

I even used my fuel can on a recent east-coast trip, where there are no shortage of fuel stations. I had about 150 mile range left, but could tell from GasBuddy that there was a Kroger store in 175 miles where I could use my saved fuel points and get $.40 a gallon discount for up to 35 gallons. We stopped for lunch at a rest area and I dumped it in.

It pays to plan ahead and have options :C

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
We had a 1960 VW bus (bought new) that had no fuel gauge, just a two pickup system so you ran out and pulled the knob out for another gallon or so, around 100 miles.
My Dad quickly learned to write down the mileage so he knew how much gas was left- in the ‘60s services were even more sparse!
-- Chris Bryant

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, you got me beat:

Click For Full-Size Image.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."