cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Expedition w/Toy Hauler and 2 SeaDoo's

mdntblu
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2016 Expedition 3.5l Ecoboost. 9000 lbs of towing. We have a double SeaDoo trailer. Each SeaDoo without gas weighs 790lbs (about 90lbs more if full of gas). My wife has been asking if we can get an RV so when we go SeaDooing we can camp at lakes/rivers. I told her that it's kinda tricky because we have SeaDoo's so a motorhome would be an option but she doesn't really want a motorhome. So I'm wondering if anyone has ever successfully been able to put 2 SeaDoos in a Toy Hauler trailer and what that looks like in terms of weight, pulling it with our Expedition, etc. My thoughts were get some of those PWC carts to put each SeaDoo on (See first pic) and strap them down inside the trailer. Then also get a sand PWC dolly to transfer them to in order to launch them into the lake (see second pic). YouTube video of launching https://youtu.be/EzN-UjKzAAI?t=19. Anyone have any thoughts who's more adversed in the weights and stuff of these trailers and towing. My third option is doing double tow (see 3rd pic) but I'm not sure if my Expedition will be able to do this.

Mod Edit: Adjusted photo width to conform with forum guidelines. Please set photo width to a maximum of 800 pixels wide, 640 is ideal. Anything wider skews the forum making it hard to read on some smaller screens.
12 REPLIES 12

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
mdntblu wrote:
We have a 2016 Expedition 3.5l Ecoboost. 9000 lbs of towing. We have a double SeaDoo trailer. Each SeaDoo without gas weighs 790lbs (about 90lbs more if full of gas). My wife has been asking if we can get an RV so when we go SeaDooing we can camp at lakes/rivers. I told her that it's kinda tricky because we have SeaDoo's so a motorhome would be an option but she doesn't really want a motorhome. So I'm wondering if anyone has ever successfully been able to put 2 SeaDoos in a Toy Hauler trailer and what that looks like in terms of weight, pulling it with our Expedition, etc. My thoughts were get some of those PWC carts to put each SeaDoo on (See first pic) and strap them down inside the trailer. Then also get a sand PWC dolly to transfer them to in order to launch them into the lake (see second pic). YouTube video of launching https://youtu.be/EzN-UjKzAAI?t=19. Anyone have any thoughts who's more adversed in the weights and stuff of these trailers and towing. My third option is doing double tow (see 3rd pic) but I'm not sure if my Expedition will be able to do this.

Mod Edit: Adjusted photo width to conform with forum guidelines. Please set photo width to a maximum of 800 pixels wide, 640 is ideal. Anything wider skews the forum making it hard to read on some smaller screens.

Wench

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9dsAcbDalg
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

bighog01
Explorer
Explorer
I also own a TH and a jet ski. That just sounds like a lot of work and extra equipment to me. For the more local trips you'd be better off having family/friend tow the ski behind another vehicle to the destination.

Y-Guy
I'm not sure what your wife has against a Motorhome. For us it was perfect for us. I could haul our 4 place ATV trailer, or our boat and our Jeep, or I can take off without anything in tow. Launching the boat isn't for the faint of heart but with my family we have it down to a science.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm not getting into the man of the house thing but I agree it's a bad idea from the start to want to roll a 1000 lbs of anything down a toy hauler ramp (twice no less) unless you camp with like 5 burly guys all the time. This screams "Hey, Hold my beer and watch this!"

A Class A, B or C would all be the better idea .
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Dont listen to the wife. Motorhome is without a doubt the best option. Trying to load/unload PWCs of that size from a Toyhauler will be a huge hassle and dangerous IMO. Double tow is no better.

Sometimes better to be the man of the house and over rule the wifey. This would be a good example.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
2016 Expedition 3.5l Ecoboost. 9000 lbs of towing It's say's it can tow ~ 9000 lbs Just wait till you go up a grade! It'll take the whole little 3.51 floored to get up any small grade like the Cajon Pass or Summit it's a 6% grade.
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

mrw8i
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
mapguy wrote:
Before heading down the double tow route make sure that your combination is legal under CA regulations. Memory has it that in Cali the first trailer needs to be a fifth wheel and both trailers need brake systems.

Using a launch cart will probably require a winch for loading. From experience (we have about 20 of the launch carts like in the first picture)get the large tire/wheel option if conditions will include anything beyond smooth pavement.

Also, have some concerns regarding weight capacity/weight distribution for your toy hauler if the launch cart system is chosen. Might be a good idea to load your trailer normally for a trip -then visit the scale.

I haven't looked it up in a while, but I'm pretty sure the combined length needs to be under a certain requirement and the driver needs a Class A license (not non-commercial, but full Class A).

I think it's a CDL with a doubles endorsement.

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
combined length is 60' I think.

I don't think your expedition can handle the size trailer you'd need. Can you fit the two Sea Dos side by side inside a typical trailer (about 8' net clear for a wide body) while on a dolly? I've seen this done before but with a single PWC, not two.

Not too optimistic. I'd research the dolly, get dimensions and weight and start surfing the internet. Most mfr's publish interior dimensions. Once you find something they will fit in see how much it weighs but seriously doubt you'll be under 9k
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

dedmiston
mapguy wrote:
Before heading down the double tow route make sure that your combination is legal under CA regulations. Memory has it that in Cali the first trailer needs to be a fifth wheel and both trailers need brake systems.

Using a launch cart will probably require a winch for loading. From experience (we have about 20 of the launch carts like in the first picture)get the large tire/wheel option if conditions will include anything beyond smooth pavement.

Also, have some concerns regarding weight capacity/weight distribution for your toy hauler if the launch cart system is chosen. Might be a good idea to load your trailer normally for a trip -then visit the scale.

I haven't looked it up in a while, but I'm pretty sure the combined length needs to be under a certain requirement and the driver needs a Class A license (not non-commercial, but full Class A).

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
I just don't see how the number would ever reasonably works with an Expedition. By the time you add the carts, you are talking about roughly 2,000 pounds in the SeaDoos alone. That leaves you 7,000 (assuming you actually have the full 9k to work with, which is unlikely) for the trailer, passengers and gear - and that doesn't even begin to raise the question of payload. All in all, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a light enough TH, that's big enough to handle two SeaDoos, that will stay within reason for an Expedition.

As for double towing - to each their own, but there's no way I'd want to take on that much length with the wheelbase of an Expedition.

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
Have you factored how big of a cargo area you will need to haul the seadoos and a trailer?

My buddy puts his seadoos in his toyhauler with his SXS. But he has a 42' 5th wheel with 21' of cargo.

Your Expy won't like towing anything very big.
Tail wagging the dog.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

mapguy
Explorer
Explorer