Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Fuel economy and additives
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Fuel economy and additives

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Tom in Tulsa

Tulsa OK

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/19 07:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I drive a Forest River Georgetown w 4 slides an a V10 Triton gs engine. Typically i drive 62-65 mph on the hwy.
I will be doing a gas log of my fuel economy, but I think it is 7.5 mpg fully loaded. I do use regular unleaded gas ($2.25 per gal in Tulsa area now).

Questions: 1. Do fuel additives work and which ones do and don't. Fillups are around 50 gallons on a 75 gal tank.

2. Is going to 100% gas (no ethanol) cost effective?.

3. My Class A is 2008 (11 years old) with 53,000 miles. Is it time for a tune up and what gets tuned up? Spark plugs, injectors, wires?
I am not a mechanic and am only guessing.

What works and what doesn't?

The Bluegrass Boy.

2008 Forest River Georgetown 357; F53 Triton V10 gas engine; Alison trans.
Onan 5000 generator

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/19 07:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

100% ethanol free gas will increase your mileage, but the additional cost will probably not be worth it. The addition of fuel additives may help to clean an injector but will not help with mileage.
Basically if you do everything that can be done to increase the mileage, the only thing you will accomplish is going from really terrible mileage to just terrible mileage. RV's are not designed to be fuel efficient, even if it is a diesel. I've had diesel RV's before and the mileage is still bad, altho not quite as bad as the gasser. Of course diesel costs more so it is a wash. The only thing the mileage log will do is just remind you that the enjoyment from RVing far outweighs the cost of fuel. You are better off using the credit cards, like PenFed that offer a 5% discount on every purchase of fuel. There are other CC that may be better but that 5% discount is more than you will get from any additives.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/19 07:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have good success with additives like Slick 50 and its newer derivatives. They can be added to the oil, the trans and the fuel system. They easily pay for themselves.

You can try a performance air cleaner that can be cleaned. There are some good iridium spark plugs available. Wires and injectors should be fine. Quality fuel cleaners can help keep injectors clean. Consider a tuner made for MHs. Monitor your exhaust manifold temp.

You might consider going to a larger diameter exhaust system.
With these kinds of add ons I have gotten 23.8 mpg out of a Ford diesel empty and around 13.5 pulling a TT.

ItsyRV

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/19 08:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I fully agree with rgatijnet1 that additives mostly just clean the fuel system and a cleaner fuel system can improve gas mileage, but not so much it will be that noticeable. However, too much of some fuel additives will have the opposite effect of lowering gas mileage until the excess amount is used up.

The only additive that will improve engine performance immediately is octane booster but only if you're using a lower octane than the engine requires. If the engine calls for 92 octane and you're using 89, octane booster will help. But if the engine calls for 89 and you're using 89, octane booster won;t do anything and may do harm not good.

1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

msturtz

Washington

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/19 09:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The easiest way to improve fuel economy is slow down. A class A motor home is a large rectangular box that isn’t very aerodynamic.

FMCA member

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/19 09:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you’re getting 7.5 then you’re doing good. There’s not really much you can do that will improve upon that. The big aerodynamically challenged, heavy as heck RV prevents any real fuel efficiency. Keep the speed down, light foot on the pedal, try NOT using cruise. Cruise is designed to keep your speed as set, regardless of fuel usage. Keep your tire pressures placard numbers. Lower pressures for a better ride may reduce mileage, but not significantly I suppose.

Some owners will invest in a Banks power pack, or a 5 Star tune. I know no facts as to how much they help.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004

T18skyguy

Eugene, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/19 09:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the guys above are giving you very good advice. At $2.25 a gallon your doing much better than the rest of us on the West coast. The only thing I can add is if the engine is pinging, then an octane booster will help. A pinging cylinder does not put out the same power as one that doesn't. Lighten your weight as much as possible; don't carry full water. Use paper plates instead of ceramic. Put two bottles of Chevron Techron concentrate in a full tank of gas will clean the injectors. Replace your air cleaner if it hasn't been done and slow down a bit more. There's only so much you can do with these beasts.

Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. 2017 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS. Wife and daughter. Three cats which we must obey.

Sam Spade

North Central Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/19 09:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tom in Tulsa wrote:

Questions:
1. Do fuel additives work and which ones do and don't. Fillups are around 50 gallons on a 75 gal tank.

2. Is going to 100% gas (no ethanol) cost effective?.

3. My Class A is 2008 (11 years old) with 53,000 miles. Is it time for a tune up and what gets tuned up? Spark plugs, injectors, wires?
I am not a mechanic and am only guessing.

1) NO, in general you don't need ANY "additives" either in your fuel or gas or transmission. The exception is a good dose of injector cleaner about twice a year. Techron.

2) You will improve your gas mileage maybe 3%. If the alcohol free gas costs more than 3% more, it is NOT worth the extra cost.
Do the math.

3) About the only thing done on a "tune up" these days is changing the plugs. BUT.....if you intend to keep it very much longer, it might be past due for a coolant and brake fluid and transmission fluid change. And a general inspection of suspension and brakes......and tires.

'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Tom in Tulsa

Tulsa OK

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/19 10:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WOW. an RV full of info. would moving up the octane to 89 help or would that just add more cost for 50 gal. I am using 87.

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/19 10:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have tried a number of things over the past 15 years but only found one thing that actually worked. When I first bought the MH the exhaust manifolds were leaking so I added Thorley Tri Y headers. This increased performance but did not increase MPG, added free flow muffler, CAI and advanced timing from 4 degrees BTDC base to 9 all increased performance but saw no MPG increase. Went to synthetic oil saw no performance or MPG increase. Tried acetone in the gas once and got 9.5 mpg but never followed through to see if that was an anomaly. I then found an old vacuum gauge in my garage that I installed and my MPG went from 8.5 to 8.7 fairly consistently if I kept it over 10 in of HG. I tracked every fill up over 90,000 miles of travel and noticed better MPGs in mountainous hiway roads that are fairly straight where I could give it gas when I saw a hill then slowly back of the gas by glancing at the vacuum gauge because I new when it was going to down shift. Mountainous roads with a lot of switch backs and dirt roads up like up in Alaska drop the MPG to 8.4. I see no MPG difference towing a 2400 lb car or not towing.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Fuel economy and additives
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS