cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

not enough hitch weight capability

Road_Phantom
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a 2018 ram 2500 diesel 4x4 crew cab with a 2400lb rating for carrying capacity and 17,000 tow limit. My hitch weight is 1950lbs. By the time I add up fuel, my wife, (she's only 140lbs) the hitch itself, there's nothing left for the front storage of the fifth wheel. Air bags won't increase my GVWR.
I plan to move the portable gen and tools inside over the trailer axle and anything else that's heavy. I've seen a lot of rigs in the campground with similar setups and many running much heavier loads than my 9000lb empty trailer. Any solutions besides those mentioned would be appreciated short of asking me to buy a one ton for a few hundred pounds overweight on the hitch. Thanks for your constructive help.
16 REPLIES 16

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
Michelle.S wrote:
Not all States will let you license for more than the Door sticker number.

Yep, don't bring your overloaded truck to new Mexico 3/4 ton trucks aren't made to pull big fifth wheels. Anything over 28' is pushing it.

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not all States will let you license for more than the Door sticker number.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
License truck for the weight it has on all 4/6 tires and stay at to under RAWR=GOLDEN.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
Your payload capacity already considers a full tank so donโ€™t use that in your calculations.
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
ACZL wrote:
Your truck will disintegrate if over by 10 pounds and you'll be sued to high heaven if involved in an accident.

Walaby said it would happen!!

You guys forgot to add.

"Please don't do so as you'll be a safety menace to everyone else on the highway, and their families".

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Your truck will disintegrate if over by 10 pounds and you'll be sued to high heaven if involved in an accident.

Walaby said it would happen!!

I'm staying neutral on this topic.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with the others. Axle and tire weights are what really matter.

I run my Hemi 2500 right at or a few hundred pounds over the GVWR but at least 800# under the RAWR. OP, ironically, your truck with my trailer would be +/- 1000# over GVWR but have the same weight on the rear axle.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Good advice so far Adrain...just to expand a bit. Your 2500 Ram has the same AAM 11.5" rear axle used in the 3500 SRW trucks. For a while it was used in the 3500 DRW as a 9375 rawr.

Get some scaled axle weights.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Focus on RAWR. Make sure your tires are equal to or greater than RAWR. Weigh with 5er hooked up, loaded for camping. As long as you are below RAWR you will be fine

Some will eventually chime in that your truck will disintegrate if you exceed payload by 10 lbs and that you will be sued for all you own if in an accident. You can follow their advice or make an informed, rationale decision. Your choice

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Keep it under the axle and tire ratings and youโ€™ll be more than fine.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Road Phantom wrote:
I just bought a 2018 ram 2500 diesel 4x4 crew cab with a 2400lb rating for carrying capacity and 17,000 tow limit. My hitch weight is 1950lbs. By the time I add up fuel, my wife, (she's only 140lbs) the hitch itself, there's nothing left for the front storage of the fifth wheel. Air bags won't increase my GVWR.
I plan to move the portable gen and tools inside over the trailer axle and anything else that's heavy. I've seen a lot of rigs in the campground with similar setups and many running much heavier loads than my 9000lb empty trailer. Any solutions besides those mentioned would be appreciated short of asking me to buy a one ton for a few hundred pounds overweight on the hitch. Thanks for your constructive help.

First off, weigh your truck and trailer at a proper CAT scale with your current setup, to get all axle weights. Then, check those #s with your placard and see how close you are to your RAWR and tire ratings. If you're over on your GVW, but under on your axle and tires, tow it and have fun. You =can= physically increase your GVW some by using an add-a-leaf type upgrade. Not sure your state registers by weight, so you could, technically, have a 1t truck with 2500 badges on it. Up to you whether you "declare" it. :B

FWIW, my '02 D'max is supposed to have 245 tires, which puts my tire rating =below= my axle. It had 265s on it when I got it, and that's what I've put on since then. Now, I'm several hundred =over= my axle.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Road Phantom wrote:

GVWR on 3/4 tons is class maxed at 10k lbs and is meaningless on a diesel truck. You have 6500 lbs or RAWR and with bags I wouldn't hesitate to run that up to the 7000 lb rating on the same year 3500. You've got plenty of truck to load up your trailer and not worry about it.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Arcamper
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Rear axle/Tires carry the Wet Pin weight

Don't exceed those ratings.

Old debate over GVWR/Payload
Mfg. sets the GVWR and Payload is based on that number

Many States allow you to register the truck at a higher GVW just pay the higher fees....so even many States do not recognize the MFGs GVWR

MANY will scream/holler but one just has to think for themselves and make an informed decision on what is OK for them

Hang on....it's going to get bumpy :B

I saw something Monday I thought was odd but I guess legal as stated above. A road that goes across interstate 49 I cross everyday was under construction and there was a GMC 2500 pickup sitting there from Manhattan Road & Bridge. Under their logo was the following "GVW 18,000". Could not see what state plate it had and I did not have time to get a pic but I know what I saw. Must be one bad a$$ 2500.
2016 Montana 3100RL Legacy(LT's,Joy Rider 2's,disc brakes)
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Cummins/Aisin 14,000 GVWR
2014 Ford Expedition Limited, HD tow pkg
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
1999 Stingray 240LS
1994 Chevy 1500 5.7 PU
2018 John Deere 1025R
B&W RVK3600 Hitch

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Like you stated there is not much else you can do that will increase your payload, you have plenty of truck that a few hundred pounds more or less should not be a deal killer. Take her out for a run, I think you will find the towing experience acceptable. My old Chevy HD gasser has nearly 1K# more payload but it sure would not be able to haul anything near a 17K# 5er.