cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacement mattress

Kathy_Day
Explorer
Explorer
My husband and I own a 2000 Coachmen Catalina travel trailer. We are debating a new smaller more efficient one, but we would be trading for less space and more expense. My biggest gripe in the old one is the mattress. I am considering buying a Zinus 10 inch memory foam. I have tried putting 2 4 inch memory foam mattresses on the bed together but it is horrible and my pressure points sink to the hard wood platform. Will the same thing happen with a Zinus? Also we have a soft bathroom floor that my husband has patched up, but it is still soft and uneven. Has anybody just ripped out the entire bathroom, replaced the floor and put in a new toilet and shower? I hate that useless little tub in there. I'm thinking that maybe a small investment is better than over 25,000 for a new smaller trailer.

Advice???
12 REPLIES 12

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
DownTheAvenue wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
DownTheAvenue wrote:
Just go to a mattress store and buy a top quality house type mattress.
This is often not an option. RVs are known for having special, non standard sizes.

Actually this is a very viable option regardless of the mattress size. Many mattress stores can order a specially sized mattress made to order! Check out Original Mattress Factory stores as just one example.
Memory foam mattresses are easy to trim. We bought a nice new 8" memory foam mattress while out on a camping trip 'cause it happened to be on sale at a blow-out price. Just used a bread knife (sharp) to cut it. Not a 100% perfect clean cut but you'll never see it again with sheets on it. This mattress has given us the best sleeps compared to our fancy expensive memory foam mattress at home. OEM standard mattresses are like medieval torture devices... 😞

Sometimes you may need to reinforce the plywood or OSB the mattress lays on. They can be poorly supported underneath. Our OSB is sagging like a bowl and I've gotta get in there and install some angle iron. Solid 2x3 can work on the edge (screwed from above) but may interfere with storage in a pass-through. Or install it on the flat and maybe use another piece or two if needed.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
DownTheAvenue wrote:
This is often not an option. RVs are known for having special, non standard sizes.

Actually this is a very viable option regardless of the mattress size. Many mattress stores can order a specially sized mattress made to order! Check out Original Mattress Factory stores as just one example.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
For around $500, you can get a decent mattress and you won’t hit the plywood base.
If you do the work, the bathroom could be less than $2k.
Seems like you don’t really want to buy a new one, so just fix the one you have.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

K_and_I
Explorer
Explorer
Kathy Day wrote:
My husband and I own a 2000 Coachmen Catalina travel trailer. We are debating a new smaller more efficient one, but we would be trading for less space and more expense. My biggest gripe in the old one is the mattress. I am considering buying a Zinus 10 inch memory foam. I have tried putting 2 4 inch memory foam mattresses on the bed together but it is horrible and my pressure points sink to the hard wood platform. Will the same thing happen with a Zinus? Also we have a soft bathroom floor that my husband has patched up, but it is still soft and uneven. Has anybody just ripped out the entire bathroom, replaced the floor and put in a new toilet and shower? I hate that useless little tub in there. I'm thinking that maybe a small investment is better than over 25,000 for a new smaller trailer.

Advice???

After dealing with the mattress that came with the camper, trying a memory foam topper with little success, we bought the 10" Zinus at the beginning of this season. We've slept on it about a dozen times, and are happy with it. I'm 250 pounds, my wife about half of that. We both like how it sleeps. I had the pressure point problem with the old mattress and topper, but no longer do with this one. I was able to get it for around $200 from Amazon. I don't know what they cost now.
K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2019: 85
Do we have time for shortcuts?

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
The best mattress made, that no one has ever heard of, is Verlo. Their website is Verlo.com. After viewing you will probably say I'm not paying that much for a mattress (where one spends 1/3 of their lives on it at home but less, of course on the camper). But it is still less than $25K!
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
70 is just a number. Pay it no attention.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
See if you can find a mattress manufacturer nearby.
I have one here in Phoenix. They custom made one for me. They can do just about anything. IIRC, it was in the mid 200s. Best money I ever spent
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Kathy_Day
Explorer
Explorer
Merrykcalia, everything works in our camper, even with the soft floor. It is clean, functional and it rolls nicely, and we are 70 years old! So, we either get the mattress we can sleep on and make do with the bathroom or bite the bullet and buy a brand new one. We know our old camper and all of the kinks in it I suppose. Thank you so much for your advice.

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
We replaced the nasty mattress that was in our TT with a Spa Sensations, 8-inch gel memory foam mattress from Walmart. It slept as good, if not better than our Tempurpedic we had in our house. When we sold that TT, we ordered a new mattress to go into our fifth wheel before we even took possession of it. When our Tempurpedic finally bit the dust at home, we replaced it with a 10-inch SS mattress. It's been good for about 6 years.

I guess it is just according to how much work, money and time you want to put into a 20 year old camper. Right now, it's not worth much, maybe 1-2K, but that might be stretching a bit with a soft floor.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Nineteen years of faithful service, a TT that’s bigger than you want now and raggedy looking with a spongy bath area that a previous repair didn’t fix, so it might be time for a new TT.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad