cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New MVUM finder site, I think, and some odd omissions

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just stumbled onto this new feature on the Inyo Nat Forest site -- very handy for downloading PDFs of the motor vehicle use maps:

R5 MVUM Finder

Oddly, not all forests are on this finder feature, and some don't even post links to their MVUMs. I called Humboldt Toiyabe Nat Forest and was told that the only way to see their MVUMS is to use Avenza, which works on mobile devices but not on a desktop.

I just wrote to HTNF and sent them this link from the forest service headquarters:

FS HQ FAQ page

And this is what that page says, among other things:

"Where can I get a Motor Vehicle Use Map?"

"Maps are required to be posted online and are most frequently found on a Forest's Maps and Publication Page."

So I am confused about why HTNF does not post the maps, but I could be wrong. Maybe Avenza fulfills that requirement?
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
2 REPLIES 2

dewey02
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
Have you seen this one? Supposedly Nation wide

Interactive Visitor Map

The accuracy of these maps bug me. When I'm hunting for a boondock spot, and the federal map shows I'm on federal land, but somebody's put up NO TRESPASSING signs, what gives. My favorite is when I'm on a marked forest service fire road, and it dead ends into a locked gate "private property no trespassing". The map shows the road goes through, so is the map wrong or is did someone erect an illegal gate?

Not sure who to ask these questions to. The folks at the local forest service office claim not to know, but I'm thinking they just don't want to be bothered.

I think you hit the nail on the head.
As a retired USFS manager who actually was involved in the whole ATV/MVUM analysis and maps on a 3 million acre National Forest, what you say rings true.

In my opinion, the MVUM maps are terrible and almost impossible to read. The national office put such restrictive requirements on what the map could show, that trying to determine exactly where you are is dang nigh impossible. We couldn't put key landmarks, or other known indicators on the map. Since the federal definition of ATV's differed from the state and county definitions, we tried to use the local definition so when people crossed from federal lands to state or county lands the rules would be similar. We got reprimanded by the Washington Office and forced to use the federal definition. To me, it seems logical to be consistent with adjacent governments rather than with some other national forest in a different state.

As for the local USFS office not being able to explain why there is a gate on a road shown as open? No excuse for them not knowing. Yes, there may actually be legitimate reasons for that gate, but they should know that and explain it to you.

As for the No Trespassing signs on lands that show as federal on the MVUM map, that could stem from various situations. Inaccurate landownership data used in making the map; someone trying to protect their favorite hunting spot on federal land, etc.

Also, the whole MVUM process was originally meant to get a handle on where ATV's could go, but it became all-encompassing. On the Forest I was on, we tried very hard to not overly encumber boondock camping with travel trailers and truck campers.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Have you seen this one? Supposedly Nation wide

Interactive Visitor Map

The accuracy of these maps bug me. When I'm hunting for a boondock spot, and the federal map shows I'm on federal land, but somebody's put up NO TRESPASSING signs, what gives. My favorite is when I'm on a marked forest service fire road, and it dead ends into a locked gate "private property no trespassing". The map shows the road goes through, so is the map wrong or is did someone erect an illegal gate?

Not sure who to ask these questions to. The folks at the local forest service office claim not to know, but I'm thinking they just don't want to be bothered.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed