Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Atwood electric jacks control panel will not turn on
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

 > Atwood electric jacks control panel will not turn on

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
mikestock

Vestavia Hills, AL, USA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/01/2002

View Profile



Posted: 06/14/19 10:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do have the updated jacks. I plan to go to Red Bay on Monday. I feel confident that if Brent says the new controller will work, Tiffin will stand behind it.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 06/11/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/15/19 07:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mikestock wrote:

I do have the updated jacks. I plan to go to Red Bay on Monday. I feel confident that if Brent says the new controller will work, Tiffin will stand behind it.


Yes, you have the updated jacks, But are the Sensor wires at each jack connected to the wire harness? If not, then the new control board and touch pad will not work. Your Motorhome HAD to have the updated wire harness installed also. Brent did NOT state it would work if you did not give him the correct info. He stated it would work as long as all 4 jacks have the 4 wire connections AND the Wire Harness has been replaced with the updated harness. Doug

mikestock

Vestavia Hills, AL, USA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/01/2002

View Profile



Posted: 06/15/19 08:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was at Red Bay less than a tear ago when I had to have one of the previously upgraded jacks replaced. They said the sensor wires were working and the controller could count the rotation and knew the position of each jack. If this is what you mean. When I go there Monday I will see Brent and ask him to check my repair record from last year and confirm that I had what I needed.

Bruce Brown

Northern NY

Moderator

Joined: 06/01/2001

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 06/15/19 10:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

eadeal55 wrote:

If anyone has an Atwood electric jack they want to get rid of, let me know. I have the 7500 lb ones on my Bounder.

I unintentionally pulled the micro connector off the back of the control panel when a rear jack alarmed a few years ago, and couldn't get it repaired or find a replacement anywhere. Had the jack's upper head rebuilt for $200, but without a control panel, there was no way to use them. Orange blocks became my friends.

A couple years later I'm sitting in a friend's '08 Phaeton, and realize he has the exact control panel I need. His on/off button was broke, so he called Tiffin right there and ordered a new one...$107 + shipping. His came in and it worked, so I had him order me one. That was Dec 16. Plugged it in and all 4 jacks worked and leveled as advertised. Worked OK for 10 months until the left front jack over extended and alarmed. Jacks would not retract so I had to unplug it (12v 2 wire plug at jack), spin the emergency retract nut, plug it back in and then they all retracted. Tried to use the jacks one more time after that with same results - over extended, alarmed and wouldn't retract. Haven't used them since. That was Oct 17...orange blocks are still my friends.

I was told that the jack is bad, maybe a flat spot on the motor, and I needed to replace it. Same friend with '08 Phaeton bought 2 new rear 15000 lb Atwood electric jacks from Tiffin late last year and installed them himself. I was going to have him check with Tiffin to see if they had any 7500 lb jacks in stock, but haven't got around to it.


PM Sent


There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910


dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 06/11/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/15/19 11:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mikestock wrote:

I was at Red Bay less than a tear ago when I had to have one of the previously upgraded jacks replaced. They said the sensor wires were working and the controller could count the rotation and knew the position of each jack. If this is what you mean. When I go there Monday I will see Brent and ask him to check my repair record from last year and confirm that I had what I needed.


OK, just look at any jack you have. IF your jacks have 2- 2 wire quick connects, then you have the updated Jacks. But, BOTH wire connects need to be connected. Also, the NEW style controller has a bunch of LARGE 40 amp ATC fuses on the control board. It is almost square and the OLD control board is enclosed and rectangular and NO visible fuses. Just trying to save you a 200 mile round trip. Yes, the 4 wire new Jacks the sensor sends the signal to the control board that monitors how many rotations the motor has turned. The OLD style board did not do that as the old jacks had no sensor on the jacks. Doug

PS, on the OLD system and you installed updated 4 wire jacks, you did not connect the sensor wires. Because there was nothing to connect the sensor too. IF you have the NEW style wire harness and Jacks and Controller, then someone has had the system updated before you purchased the unit. Years ago, Tiffin had an upgrade program at a reduced cost to update the old Atwood system to the new Atwood system. It may be your unit was one of those. Doug

BobGed

Carson City, NV

Senior Member

Joined: 07/28/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 06/15/19 12:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:


OK, just look at any jack you have. IF your jacks have 2- 2 wire quick connects, then you have the updated Jacks. But, BOTH wire connects need to be connected. Also, the NEW style controller has a bunch of LARGE 40 amp ATC fuses on the control board. It is almost square and the OLD control board is enclosed and rectangular and NO visible fuses. Just trying to save you a 200 mile round trip. Yes, the 4 wire new Jacks the sensor sends the signal to the control board that monitors how many rotations the motor has turned. The OLD style board did not do that as the old jacks had no sensor on the jacks. Doug

PS, on the OLD system and you installed updated 4 wire jacks, you did not connect the sensor wires. Because there was nothing to connect the sensor too. IF you have the NEW style wire harness and Jacks and Controller, then someone has had the system updated before you purchased the unit. Years ago, Tiffin had an upgrade program at a reduced cost to update the old Atwood system to the new Atwood system. It may be your unit was one of those. Doug


Just as additional info to what Doug has posted. I had the new jacks installed in my previous coach.

Here is a pic of the old control module
[image]

And a pic of the new one that was installed
[image]


2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited

mikestock

Vestavia Hills, AL, USA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/01/2002

View Profile



Posted: 06/15/19 01:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The bottom picture is the one I have now, except mine says Rev.7. I have already had one go bad about 3 years back, under warranty, and changed it out myself. Atwood customer service could not have been any better or nicer to deal with.

mikestock

Vestavia Hills, AL, USA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/01/2002

View Profile



Posted: 06/17/19 04:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Went to Red Bay and ought, what was supposedly a drop in Leppert replacement for the Atwood controller. What was in the box was an Atwood P/N 80618 Rev. 7 which was identical to the one I'm replacing. This was a pleasant surprise, since I had been told that the Atwood controller was no longer available.

If you are looking for an Atwood 80618 controller, check with Tiffin. This is not a substitute, but the original Atwood item.

[image]

* This post was edited 06/17/19 07:36pm by mikestock *

haste maker

alabama

Senior Member

Joined: 05/29/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 06/22/19 06:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is this the part that mounts in the dash?


Retried Teamster
2007 Allergo

mikestock

Vestavia Hills, AL, USA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/01/2002

View Profile



Posted: 06/22/19 07:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No. This is the controller that mounts in the basement. The purchase included the touch pad which I replaced but really didn't need.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

 > Atwood electric jacks control panel will not turn on
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS