Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: RV Pet Stop: Camping with Dobermans
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> Camping with Dobermans

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/19 05:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ivylog wrote:

Get a Million $ insurance policy guaranteeing coverage for any and all damages they might cause...I would then let them into my RV Park as that would make up for voiding my insurance.

No need for a policy you keep your vacancy and I will keep my money.
I know I can find another park without breed restrictions to accept my money, I hope/trust you can find another camper to fill your vacancy.
It's a win for both of us no policy required.
I've spent thousands in camping fees over the years, unfortunately none of it went to your CG. Unfortunately your breed restricting policies are restricting your revenues along with the dogs.

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/19 08:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your dog will be discriminated against. It is not that a doberman (or any of the other "dangerous" breeds) is more likely to bite, it is when they do they can cause severe physical damage. And no one can say for a fact that any particular dog will not bite under the right circumstances. How often after any dog bite has the owner said "he/she has never done that before". And because of that many people will fear them, or at least be very leery of being around them.

A park's insurance carrier will likely prohibit them. And just as likely, a park owner will not want them there due to the discomfort of many people to them. A park that routinely lets those breeds in will likely lose future customers. An unfortunate fact of life.

discovery4us

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/19 10:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You will find some parks that won't allow you to stay. I have always camped with dogs. Queensland, labs, chows, and mutts. A few times we called ahead and they made exceptions to the weight requirements, never an exception for the breed. It is definitely an insurance issue. Heck, even home owners policies can dictate what breed of dog you can have.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/19 10:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, some private parks will "ban" your dogs. Just go elsewhere.

Most public campgrounds do not have breed restrictions and do not "ban" dogs.

When you are camping ALWAYS follow the rules. Keep your dogs on leashes. Don't leave them unattended. Clean up after them.

Remember that if something happens, no matter who is at fault, your dog(s) will be looked at as the problem by default because of their breed - so you want to do everything to prevent any complaints.

Don't throw an attitude. If you get questioned, always be understanding, take responsibility, and be honest. If something does happen, don't get defensive. Listen to the ranger/authorities, accept responsibility for actions that you or your dog did (e.g., I did drop the leash accidentally or I didn't see them until they came around that corner on the trail, etc.)

Don't say "my dog wouldn't hurt a fly", etc. Those types of comments are overused to the point of being meaningless. Be a bit reserved and minimize contact with strangers - who may do something that scares your dog and cause a reaction that your dog will then be in trouble for. Remember it's better to be distant from other campers than it is to risk their doing something that will get blamed on your dogs.

ALWAYS carry copies of their rabies certificates (not just the tag). I keep a copy in my motorhome, my trailer and my SUV. Having that certificate on hand can prevent your dog from being impounded. And it shows that you are a responsible owner.

If other dogs are running loose, being aggressive, etc., be vocal in telling your dogs "what a good dog. Just ignore that bad dog" and "please get your dog and keep it away from mine", etc. You want other campers to notice YOUR appropriate behavior and the other dog's (and owner's) inappropriate behavior. That will help protect your dogs if another dog starts a fight, etc.
Again, always keep your dogs on a leash. As long as your dog is on a leash and you are holding the leash, you have minimized (if not eliminated) any cause to blame your dog(s) for any incident that could happen.

For the younger dog, just work with her while you are camping. Most people will be fine with your dogs if they see that you are attentive to their behaviors, making an effort to instill and promote good behaviors, and that YOU are not being rude, aggressive, or snotty to others about your dogs.

I have only had one person go through my campsite while my dogs were there. It was a yound gir! about 7. I was sitting in my chair and holding my dogs' double leash. The girl came running through my site and ran straight towards my dogs. When my Bat-dog started barking at her, she froze. She was definitely startled and scared (the girl). I told her to turn around and go back and then go around the campsite. She did and there was no other problem. That trip, there were a good dozen kids hanging out just below my campsite at the creek. They were all extremely great kids and their parents were too - we just agreed to reasonable boundary markers so the dogs could adjust to their coming and going without feeling their "territory" was being infiltrated.

Bat-dog has people fear issues and as long as I follow the above guidelines, I have never had a problem with her and other campers. Everyone is very understanding. But I'm honest and will explain her issues if I see someone looking sideways at us. The rangers are always very nice about her. I have even had some make an extra effort with her to help her learn people are nice.

Always keep your dogs on a leash. As long as you have them on a 6ft leash and are holding it, you can prevent most bad situations. Those you can't prevent, you can show that you were always in control of your dogs. This is the most effective way to protect your dogs.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/19 04:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As you said, most people are afraid of that breed. When outside, they should wear a muzzle and be restrained by a chain short enough that they will not be off of your designated camp site.

Control_Freak

Usa

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/19 04:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone for the replies and suggestions!

I’ve owned Dobermans for 10+ years, I’m no stranger to being prejudged and discriminated against, hence why I work so hard to make sure they are well behaved. I realized we might have some issues camping with them, but didn’t realize we might not be allowed in some parks, so thank you for letting me know. I spent the morning calling around to different private campgrounds asking if they had weight/breed restrictions, most places had no restrictions aside from your dog can’t be aggressive, a few banned Pitt bulls and Rottweilers and one said other similar breeds but wouldn’t specifically say which breeds those were. One place said it’s a case by case basis decided when your arrive and another said they have a zero tolerance for barking, wonder if they have a no squealing policy for kids?

I’ll try to respond to as many people as I can....

@lwiddis, I can totally understand people wouldn’t want to stay in the site next to us bc of our dogs, I mean they might actually have to watch their kids and make sure they aren’t wandering into other peoples sites and disturbing them. Fine by me, I don’t want to be stressed having to make sure their kids are behaving either. I don’t really want to stay next to a bunch of screaming kids either.

@old-biscuit, thanks for the information, I wouldn’t want anyplace to make special exceptions for us if it violates their insurance policy. I’ll make sure to inform campgrounds of their breed before making a reservation so there is no issue. It’s funny though because the CDC did a study on breeds most likely to bite...Dobermans are not on that list but I’d be willing to bet most of the dogs on that list aren’t the same as the banned list, I.e. chihuahua/Pekingese/jack russel/Papillion/cocker spaniel.

@bob123 & OBgraham & scottiemom, thanks! Dobermans are truly an amazing breed, loyal, loving and so smart. And scottiemom, you’re so right! Owners of little dogs often skip on behavior training bc “what’s the harm?” They don’t stop to think how the misbehaviours of their dogs effect people and other dogs. My mom has two Maltese’s and they are the most barky dogs i. The world! It drives me crazy.

@ivylog, I wouldn’t want to stay somewhere that violates their insurance, even if I had a huge insurance policy. I can only imagine that if a place allowed what you’re suggesting, the owners would still be on edge and that’s not good for anyone. I’ll find someplace else that I’m welcome at.

@lantley, thanks for sharing your experiences with camping with a Doberman, I’m happy to hear that it won’t be a total bust for us, especially since we’re doing this for them!

@toestoes, thanks for all of the advice. I’m definitely not the average dog owner, probably a little over cautious but IMO their lives depend on it. Off leash is a huge no no for me, I never allow my dogs off leash, except in my own back yard or in the obedience ring. I also don’t like tie outs, it’s extended hard to get control of a dog that’s 15 feet or more from you and truthfully they can rip them out of ground quite easily. It only takes a second for s**t to hit the fan and your absolutely right, if something happens they’ll be blamed regardless of the situation.In fact I’m usually the person that tells people with off leash dogs they are required to have their dog on leash, and I get the usual...their friendly they listen they won’t leave me. To which I politely respond I understand that and so are my dogs but ta lot of people are afraid of strange dogs and many dogs don’t take to kindly to loose dogs running up to them and invading their space, for everyone’s safety and peace of mind please put your dog on a leash, plus it’s the law (at least where I live). Sully rarely barks at anything, Rizzo on the other hand is at the age where she’s constantly trying to test her boundaries, we’re working on it with her and she’s getting better. Usually, if I catch her before she misbehaves and give her an OB command she’s good but if she has the chance to make her own decisions it’s 50/50 but we nip it in the bud immediately. Then usually we just tell people she’s still a pup and trying to learn her manners and apologize, this is usually enough for people to relax. I definitely won’t let her disturb others while camping but I’m sure she’ll need some more training with the new experience.

We have our maiden voyage scheduled at a state park close to our home next weekend, there’s lots of hiking trails, were not the sit around and relax kinda people we want to do this so we can get out and explore, my goal is to tire them both out hiking because a tired dog is a happy dog!

Control_Freak

Usa

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/19 04:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

As you said, most people are afraid of that breed. When outside, they should wear a muzzle and be restrained by a chain short enough that they will not be off of your designated camp site.

A muzzle? Seriously? I should cause discomfort to my dogs and scare people even more because the big mean nasty Doberman is so vicious they have to be muzzled. Ya that’s a hard pass for me.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/19 04:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Control_Freak - you'll do fine with that attitude. Enjoy your campout!

And I totally agree about the muzzle. You don't muzzle a dog simply because some person might be afraid of it. You only muzzle a dog if it is necessary for the dog.

Seattle Steve

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/19 05:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

Ivylog wrote:

Get a Million $ insurance policy guaranteeing coverage for any and all damages they might cause...I would then let them into my RV Park as that would make up for voiding my insurance.

No need for a policy you keep your vacancy and I will keep my money.
I know I can find another park without breed restrictions to accept my money, I hope/trust you can find another camper to fill your vacancy.
It's a win for both of us no policy required.
I've spent thousands in camping fees over the years, unfortunately none of it went to your CG. Unfortunately your breed restricting policies are restricting your revenues along with the dogs.

You are only seeing one side of the issue. As a non-pet person, I always check out the pet rules at potential parks and choose the ones with the strictest rules. So, in my case, they are gaining business because of their rules. I'm pretty sure there are far more people RVing without pets than there are people RVing with dogs on the aggressive breeds list, so the parks with stricter rules are going to be the winners.

snowpeke

Nevada City California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/19 05:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had a Rottweiler that was tied up broke its chain and attacked my little dogs that were on leash. I hope all park owners will turn you down.

2002 Chevy DuraMax
2014 jayco eagle
Two Pekingese dogs

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> Camping with Dobermans
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS