Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: RV Pet Stop: Camping with Dobermans
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> Camping with Dobermans

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev
Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/19 12:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not happy that your deal fell through. But I am glad that you knew enough to walk away. So many end up with a bad deal because they don't do a thorough PDI and are not prepared/willing to walk away if necessary.
You did the right thing.

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Scottiemom

South Dakota/Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/19 04:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm sorry that deal didn't work for you but better to find out before you left and were able to cancel the deal. Keep looking. I'm sure you will find something that will work.

Best wishes.

Dale

Dale Pace
Wife to Terry (Teacher's Pet)
2006 Tiffin Phaeton 40'(Phaeton Place)
2014 Ford Flex
2004 R-Vision Trail-lite 213 (MinnieMee)
Fulltiming since 2005

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/
Where are we?

CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/19 11:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I feel your pain. And yes, there are parks that name Dobes as unacceptable. Be sure to read their websites before considering them.

Personally I love dogs, especially large breeds. And I dislike aggressive dogs regardless of size. fwiw, I have been bitten 3 times in my life and it was by ankle biter breeds- all had idiot owners which was actually the real problem. But I digress.

I have always had Akitas and every single one of them loved people. All could have qualified as Therapy Dogs if I had had the time to certify. What we did when we were RVing with them is to tell the campgrounds that they were mixed breed and probably had some huskie or Siberian in them. Most people don't know Akitas well enough to call our bluff and it worked for us every time. I am afraid that this wont work for you tho, as your boy looks like he should and everyone will know he's a Dobe.

Oh, one thing you might consider if you have the time is to certify your boy as a Therapy Dog. A dog that can go to hospitals and nursing homes may convince a dog-o-phobe of the truth.

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/19 06:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Scottiemom wrote:

And lastly, the one comment I love from pet owners whose dogs are NEVER leashed in a campground. . . "It's okay, he's friendly." I say, "Well mine might not be." In truth he was, but again. . . if a dog charges up to mine. . . all bets are off.

I suspect most dogs who see a strange dog running towards them (or more importantly, towards "their people"!) go on the defensive? Even my social-butterfly dogs get edgy when the grandkids need to be protected.

I had a loose Border Collie come happily bounding towards us where a trail intersected - no owner in sight. My Cattle Dog went into full attack stance - I yelled "Call your dog!" and a voice answered "He's friendly". I yelled back "Mine is NOT!!" Fortunately, it was a well-trained BC who immediately returned to its owner, who then gave US the stink eye for having a dangerous animal.... a Cattle Dog would face off a charging grizzly if it was coming towards "their people"....

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> Camping with Dobermans
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS