Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: RV Pet Stop: Camping with Dobermans
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> Camping with Dobermans

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
Control_Freak

Usa

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/19 08:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello all, were new to rving,supposed to pick up our TT on Saturday. We started talking about getting a camper early last year when my oldest dog started slowing down and we didn’t want to leave her home with a sitter. Long story short, she wasn’t slowing down but extremely sick with autoimmune meningitis, she declined quickly and even though we did everything we could for her but she couldn’t fight the disease and passed away 4th of July weekend. We were absolutely devastated by her passing and out camping on the back burner.

Fast forward to now, we decided to move forward and make the leap into camping. We have an 8 yr old male And an 18 month old female Doberman. This is a breed that most people don’t know their true nature and are usually afraid of and I’m concerned that they will be prejudged based on their breed. My male, Sully is a big muscular boy weighing is at 90 lbs and is extremely intimidating to look at, but I can tell you that there hasn’t been one person who hasn’t absolutely fell in love with him once they give him a chance. My pup, Rizzo is young and still trying to figure out what is appropriate behavior. We work with her a lot and she’s almost there. I’m really big on my dogs being well behaved members of the dog community, mostly because I believe that it’s my responsibility as a dog owner to ensure they act right and don’t disturb or scare other people and because I love to train my dogs. Sully is a champion show dog and has his CGC, Rizzo is training to compete in AKC obedience and will evaluated for her CGC soon.

So my questions are...are we going to have any issues based solely on their breed? What steps can we take to make sure they are safe? Obviously don’t leave them outside unattended or off leash. How big of a problem is people/children/pets walking through others campsites?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated and I’m going to try to put some photos up of them but not sure if they’ll show up.

[image]BC226C7D-7993-48B8-8447-4723DF8A31DF by Corinna Morris, on Flickr

[image]343C4666-4197-474A-8BE4-203FC6EAC5C1 by Corinna Morris, on Flickr

Lwiddis

Los Angeles area :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/19 08:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cant see many families with younger kids wanting to stay next to you. Park owners will think the same IMO. Park insurance carriers may mandate not accepting certain breeds. Sorry

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

gemsworld

Arizona West Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/19 08:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It wouldn't hurt to disclose the breed of the dogs when you make RV and campground reservations. Some parks have breed restrictions.

Y-Guy

Tri-Cities, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/19 09:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Private parks are more likely to have breed restrictions, but you probably know that already. The most common breed restrictions include Pit Bulls, Rottweilers, Dobermans, Mastiffs and Chows.

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
2011 Jeep Wrangler

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/19 09:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Insurance Carriers place the breed restrictions on CGs
CGs in order to have coverage MUST abide by those breed restriction guidelines.

It is NOT a case by case situation ....it is a BAN of those breeds the Insurance Carriers/Underwriters have deemed aggressive/dangerous/injurious based on CLAIMS filed/paid.

So do NOT be surprised when you are turned away.
Dobermans are on that banned breed list..along with 16 other breeds

CGs also have 'weight/size' bans....regardless of breeds
Common weights over 25# and over 45#

State/National CGs do NOT have breed restrictions....
Boondocking......BLM etc wide open

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

bob213

Fresno, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/19 10:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Beautiful dogs. We showed Dobbies for several years in both show and obedience rings. Unfortunately Old-Biscuit is spot on with his answer.

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

obgraham

TriCites WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/19 11:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those are two lovely looking Dobies. I've had two over the years -- marvelous dogs, both softies. Unfortunately their reputation precedes them.

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/19 04:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get a Million $ insurance policy guaranteeing coverage for any and all damages they might cause...I would then let them into my RV Park as that would make up for voiding my insurance.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

08 HR Navigator 45'
Sold 04 Dynasty after 14 great years.
[url=https://i.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/19 05:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I camp with a Doberman. THere are a few parks with breed restrictions that ban Dobermans. For the most part there are always alternative parks.
I have never been blocked out of an area or region because of my dog.
THere has always been a CG willing to accept my money.
As far as other campers, cutting through sites happens but it is not a big/major issue. Often timid uniformed people will keep their distance if they see a Doberman.
Informed curious people will often come to see him and ask if he's friendly.
As long as they are people friendly camping with Dobermans will not be a major issue.

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Scottiemom

South Dakota/Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/19 05:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your dogs are gorgeous. I would rather be parked next to your dogs than the little yappy ankle biters. I had a Dobe and feel like you do, it is essential that any big dog be trained well. My dog was both sight and voice command. That said, ANY dog should be trained, but unfortunately people are of the mindset that smaller dogs aren't big enough to hurt anyone, so they are "off the hook." A tragic thought at best.

I have seen many dogs on the "commonly restricted" list at campgrounds, but like has been said, private camps are the most frequently restrictive due to insurance. A well trained Dobe is a wonderful ambassador for the breed. Hope to see you out there.

Dale

Dale Pace
Wife to Terry (Teacher's Pet)
2006 Tiffin Phaeton 40'(Phaeton Place)
2014 Ford Flex
2004 R-Vision Trail-lite 213 (MinnieMee)
Fulltiming since 2005

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/
Where are we?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> Camping with Dobermans
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS