cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

storing power cord on new f'ver

sele
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought a new2019 Coachmen chaparral 285RLS. The power cord is detachable and can be stored in the pass through compartment. We are wondering what everybody is using for some type of either container or cord reel.

Thanks for all the help.
scott
57 REPLIES 57

56Jeff
Explorer
Explorer
Storage Space in most Campers is limited. Just wipe it down as you coil it up in big loops, find some banding strap you like, be it rope or velcro,etc, and store it where you can easily get to it. I have found that some times where you park your camper is limited by the length of your power cord. Water hose and sewer hose are cheep and easy to get more.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I thought about one of those hose reels, but I hate to lose more storage space in the basement. The cord in a basket can go in the back of the toyhauler. If I had the space that would be nice.

The only downside, besides loss of storage space, would be the need to unreel the whole cord every time. Not that big of deal with the reel though.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

BugsRLB
Explorer
Explorer
Harbor Freight Air Hose Reel
Cheap money, $20! Les with a coupon!
Works great!

https://www.harborfreight.com/100-Ft-Manual-Steel-Air-Hose-Reel-
63861.html

2018 Ford F350 SRW 6.7PowerStroke/6 Speed Auto
2017 Jayco Eagle 321RSTS

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
We just lay the power cord in the bed of the pickup. It is the last thing we stow in preparation to travel and it is the first thing we plug in once we arrive at the new campsite. Putting it in the truck bed simplifies everything.
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream

What can I say.... It's been a ROUGH week for me.... This working **** is cramping my camping...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ford truck guy wrote:
Well,

I made my SOOW cord last night and really like it... I ended up going with 6/4 instead of the 6/3 & 8/1 like pictured as I had a 50' section readily available to me at a cheap cost ( FREE ) ..

For the ends, I first purchased - Mictuning cord end

THEY ARE JUNK! !! I messed with the female end first, ended up not even opening the male, tossed them BOTH in the trash..

I went with - Camco 50amp ends

I plugged it in to try it first and all is good... maybe tonight or tomorrow I will get my bucket filled :B

What the heck??? I showed the cord caps to use. :B

I used the cord shown because it was FREE also. They both work the same. For those poor saps that have to spend $$$ either gauge ground wire is fine.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Well,

I made my SOOW cord last night and really like it... I ended up going with 6/4 instead of the 6/3 & 8/1 like pictured as I had a 50' section readily available to me at a cheap cost ( FREE ) ..

For the ends, I first purchased - Mictuning cord end

THEY ARE JUNK! !! I messed with the female end first, ended up not even opening the male, tossed them BOTH in the trash..

I went with - Camco 50amp ends

I plugged it in to try it first and all is good... maybe tonight or tomorrow I will get my bucket filled :B
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

sele
Explorer
Explorer
As I started this thread, I would like to thank everyone for the suggestions. I found that a 5 gallon bucket works perfectly for my 36 ft. 50 amp cord. Again thanks to all.
scott

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
Milk Crate for 50A.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 30 amp cord with an extension and a 50 amp cord with an extension also. I coil the 50 amp and extension into the smallest coil I can and then put them in a plastic bin on end.That's the two cords plus adapters in the bin. The 30 amp cords get rolled on my arm and then placed in an open space in the basement. We boondock and use campgrounds so We carry a lot of stuff in the basement and front compartment of the 5er. My problem is getting the 50 amp cord and extension apart after using them.
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
laknox wrote:
Lantley wrote:
Learjet wrote:
I grab one end of the cord....then the other...drag those to the storage and place the ends in the compartment first...then pile the rest on top. Always the last in and first out. Works for me ๐Ÿ™‚

Funny but that is basically what I do. I just put the cord in last on top of everything else. No need to coil it or spool it or put in a bucket! It's not that complicated.
Just toss it on top at the end of a trip and pull it out 1st at the beginning of a trip

I guess you and Learjet never boondock, where you don't need the cord but need stuff under it. :B

Lyle

Correct I don't boondock often, but on the rare occasion when I do I just move cord out of the way by tossing it on the ground!
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Lantley wrote:
Learjet wrote:
I grab one end of the cord....then the other...drag those to the storage and place the ends in the compartment first...then pile the rest on top. Always the last in and first out. Works for me ๐Ÿ™‚

Funny but that is basically what I do. I just put the cord in last on top of everything else. No need to coil it or spool it or put in a bucket! It's not that complicated.
Just toss it on top at the end of a trip and pull it out 1st at the beginning of a trip

I guess you and Learjet never boondock, where you don't need the cord but need stuff under it. :B

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ford truck guy wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I simply push up or down on my rocker switch to extend or retrieve my factory built in SO cord. I also have a separate one as pictured if needed that coils into a small circle that fits into whatever nook or cranny available.

I am jealous Ron, After five years of having the electric cord reel the new Redwood does not have one. The folks in engineering simply said there was nowhere in the back end of the trailer to place one, so Iโ€™m back to the anaconda ....

I still have all of the information that you have posted over the years about making your own flexible cord, thatโ€™s on my short to do list

I was lucky I was given the 100โ€™ temp power box cord shown in pic. I used part of it to power my RV pad 50A outlet and the rest to make my extension cord shown.

Yea that would suck not having the cord reel!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

SailingOn
Explorer
Explorer
My rig came with three 20# propane bottles in the propane compartment, one behind the other two. On most trips (warm, no furnace use) one 20# bottle lasts months.
I leave one at home.
The sewer hose goes in the empty space, and the 50 amp shore cable.
When I was looping the cable into the pass-through, it was always catching on something, or something I needed would be underneath. I walled off a compartment for it, but that was space inefficient.
Buck: 2004 Wilderness Yukon 8275S, now memories.
Star: Open range LF297RLS. 2 air conditioners!
Togo: 2014 Winnebago View Profile, 2013 Sprinter chassis; 16 mpg
Snow: 2020 F250 diesel
AD5GR