Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Older Dog and Night time
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> Older Dog and Night time

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
TugCE

Leesburg, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/19 10:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our Macy (Our rescue Golden / Cocker Mix) is just about 15 now and lately she's been acting a little strange at night. First, Macy while she has always been fine with me, she has always shown more "love" towards my Wife. Recently, usually starting around 9 pm, she wants to be near and almost touching me. I smoke so I am usually outside on our Lanai watching TV while my wife is inside. Macy will come to the door and scratch so I let her out and after a couple of minutes she wants to go back into the A/C (She's smarter than I am :-) )

Tonight she has been glued to me for the past several hours. I've taken her back out just in case that was the problem but nothing changed.

What I'm wondering is I've witnessed "Sun Downers Syndrome" in friends before and I'm wondering if this might be something like that and if anyone else have noticed this happening with older dogs?

I will be taking her to see our long time Vet but just worry that she is getting older.

Thanks Everyone.

I am a Retired U.S. Merchant Marine Chief Engineer
05 Chevy 2500 4x4 D/A with Helper Springs and Air Ride Air Bags
(06 R-Vision RW3360 Fifth Wheel Toy Hauler) - Totaled by Irma 2017
97 FLTCI converted into a Roadsmith Trike by The Trike Shop of Daytona

dturm

Lake County, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/19 06:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is Wikipedia's description of CCD (canine cognitive disorder) and it's pretty accurate.

There are medicines and OTC supplements that can be helpful.

Doug, DVM

Doug & Sandy
Kaylee (10 year old Terrier of some sort), Sasha 2 yr old Golden
Kaiya at the Rainbow Bridge
2008 Southwind
2009 Honda CRV

Check out blog.rv.net

Sea Six

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/19 06:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Older dogs tend to get clingy. It can increase as they age more.

They know they are not as able to defend themselves as when they were younger. They also have more problems hearing, so they are more afraid of being left behind if you get up and leave.

Their staying practically under your feet is a defense mechanism against them being left behind if they don't happen to hear you walking away from them.

1995brave

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/19 06:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

She could be sensing something wrong with you, like the start of cancer from smoking or some other issue starting up.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/19 06:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1995brave wrote:

She could be sensing something wrong with you, like the start of cancer from smoking or some other issue starting up.

Excellent point!

TugCE

Leesburg, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/19 07:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dturm wrote:

This is Wikipedia's description of CCD (canine cognitive disorder) and it's pretty accurate.

There are medicines and OTC supplements that can be helpful.

Doug, DVM

Thanks for giving me this link, some of it hits home but others not so much. This gives us someplace to start before we got into our Vet so we can have our questions on hand.

rightlaneonly

CA..

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/19 08:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gbopp wrote:

1995brave wrote:

Excellent point!

Don't ignore that. Been seeing just that on "Animal Miracles" where animals sense illnesses in humans.

Lee & Jane
2007 Ford F 150
sold the trailer but still lurking around here, traveling vicariously.

LJAZ

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/19 08:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rightlaneonly wrote:

gbopp wrote:

1995brave wrote:

Excellent point!

Don't ignore that. Been seeing just that on "Animal Miracles" where animals sense illnesses in humans.

Absolutely! Years ago DW had a mark that started to appear on her leg near the ankle. Didn't look like much, just one of those spots you get as you get older. Out dog Eddie, however, would not leave it alone and kept trying to lick the spot. Trip to the dermatologist and sure enough turned out to be cancerous. Once it was removed Eddie had no interest in it anymore. Somehow he knew that it wasn't supposed to be there and he let us know.

2011 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4
2009 Funfinder 210 WBS
Prodigy P3

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/19 10:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moose-dog has developed "old man dog syndrome". He no longer feels it necessary to be "the good boy" that he has always been.

For years, when he got scared, he would crawl behind me on the bed. Now he does it for a variety of reasons - mostly because he has decided he prefers my spot on the bed - and he literally shoves me off the bed. He ignores me completely whenever he doesn't want to do what I want him to do. He has to be reminded to go outside before bed (he will go if I insist, but otherwise will wake up in the night and need to go immediately). He prefers to sleep as late as possible.

Nothing abnormal, no illnesses, etc. He has just decided that he deserves whatever he wants because he's been so good for years. I can't really argue with that logic. His hips are going and he's old for his breed mi, so I just put up with it and tell folks "he's got old man dog syndrome".

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/19 11:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, unfortunately we experienced that with our 14 year old Lab who passed in early April. She started this, then not sleeping at night, which was rough on us. After a couple of weeks of this, we got meds from our vet, which helped, but she was back to this night time behavior in a few days. Switched meds, helped, then back to the same. After an increase in this behavior and increased difficulty in walking we made that tough decision. In spite of it, she was ready. I don't know how to explain how we knew, but she was. It was peaceful for her. Oh how we miss her.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> Older Dog and Night time
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS