cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Damaged RV on roads on way home from Florida, anyone else?.

Tundra2084
Explorer
Explorer
Let me first say that the roads were really bad this year in the northern states in April.

On our way home from Florida to Ontario Canada along interstate 75 we hit some very bad roads with potholes and cracks in the roads.
We hit some potholes because we had no place to go but into and over them due to traffic. We did hit a couple pretty hard and we travel at about 60 mph. Once home we noticed while unloading that we now have a Crack in the side of the RV, running about a foot in front of the axle. The crack starts at the top right corner of our slide in the livingroom.
After seeing this we went to look under the RV to see if anything else was damaged. Under the RV we noticed the underbelly had lost a screw and upon looking at it and lowering the belly a little more, that in 2 places on the cross beam the welds had broken loose.

Has ANYONE had anything like this happen to them while traveling along I75 or for that matter along any bad roads?

Insurance is saying its manufacturers defect and that we would have Tire and rim damage if the roads were bad and we hit potholes. They haven't even looked inside the RV for frame damage yet its manufacturers defect.
We have 14ply tires so that shouldn't happen anyway by hitting a pothole.
52 REPLIES 52

CaLBaR
Explorer
Explorer
Tundra2084 wrote:
UPDATE......So after waiting for almost 3 months for the insurance company to get their act together. And having the wall removed on the inside of the fiver and us agreeing to pay for it, they agreed to pay for the repairs.
We agreed to pay for the wall to be removed so that THEY could show US where the so called manufacturers defect was that caused the damage. NO defect in the wall was found. So all said and done, in the end it was our having to prove it was not a defect as they claimed it was (at our expense and time) but road conditions that caused the damage.

Thank you for your input and insight into our situation. It doesn't always work out the way it did for us, but in the end it is worth not letting the insurance walk away and not making them show you what they based their decision on. It was going to cost us to do the repairs even if we were denied so paying for the wall to be removed was something we were going to do anyway. And yes, they agreed to pay for the removal of the wall in the end as well.

Glad to here that it is going to work out for you and that the insurance is finally going to pay for it.

Rob
2018 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2019 RAM 3500 SRW Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin
2007 Rockwood 8298 SS (Traded in 2018)
2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max 5.7L (Traded in 2019)
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Well, at least the insurance company is, sorta, stepping up and doing their job. Were it me, I'd find another insurance company as soon as the check's cashed, even if it cost more, AND spread the word about these losers.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Tundra2084
Explorer
Explorer
UPDATE......So after waiting for almost 3 months for the insurance company to get their act together. And having the wall removed on the inside of the fiver and us agreeing to pay for it, they agreed to pay for the repairs.
We agreed to pay for the wall to be removed so that THEY could show US where the so called manufacturers defect was that caused the damage. NO defect in the wall was found. So all said and done, in the end it was our having to prove it was not a defect as they claimed it was (at our expense and time) but road conditions that caused the damage.

Thank you for your input and insight into our situation. It doesn't always work out the way it did for us, but in the end it is worth not letting the insurance walk away and not making them show you what they based their decision on. It was going to cost us to do the repairs even if we were denied so paying for the wall to be removed was something we were going to do anyway. And yes, they agreed to pay for the removal of the wall in the end as well.

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
We are from Minnesota and last winter we spent 6 months in our 5er. We travelled through the Iowa, Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, Carolinas, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas. This was our first extended stay as we recently retired. And we were totally shocked at the condition of roads in other states. Texas seemed the worst of the bunch, but they were all bad. The height difference between the road surface and any bridge seemed to be 6 inches at times. We couldn't understand how it could be so difficult to have a road and bridge end up with their surfaces even with each other. It didn't take long to realize we had to have any loose items sitting on the floor while travelling. And we worried about breaking suspension parts every time we hit one of those bridges.
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream

CaLBaR
Explorer
Explorer
Tundra2084 wrote:
CaLBaR, we live in Chatham and the RV shop is in Windsor, name of the place is Leisure trailers. It's the only shop in the area that could do the welding for the broken welds UNDERNEATH the RV, which we already had done at our cost. They also can repair the damage to the side of the RV where the crack is.

Thanks. From your signature I thought you lived in Kitchener. Good luck on getting your trailer fixed either by the insurance or the manufacturer.

Rob
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

Tundra2084
Explorer
Explorer
BaeneyS. Thank you for the help. I can see where the missing brackets are. Thanks again

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tundra2084 wrote:
Barney I used the app like provided and pasted url into my msg and the is the result, shown in above post.

When you copied the URL from the app, you left off the ends of the brackets on both ends of the URL.

Here is what you posted. Notice that the first image statement bracket is missing it's left side and the the last image statement bracket is missing it's right side on both pictures.
(my bold)

IMG]https://i.imgur.com/O642ybll.jpg[/IMG

IMG]https://i.imgur.com/lIA6n07l.jpg[/IMG

I will fix it for you now by adding the ends of the brackets.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Tundra2084
Explorer
Explorer
CaLBaR, we live in Chatham and the RV shop is in Windsor, name of the place is Leisure trailers. It's the only shop in the area that could do the welding for the broken welds UNDERNEATH the RV, which we already had done at our cost. They also can repair the damage to the side of the RV where the crack is.

Tundra2084
Explorer
Explorer
Barney I used the app like provided and pasted url into my msg and the is the result, shown in above post.

Tundra2084
Explorer
Explorer
These are two different pictures of the inside wall behind where the crack is on the outside wall. NO BROKEN WELDS OR STUDS that would cause the damage the insurance company said was a factory defect.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tundra2084 wrote:
I have no idea how to post a picture on this forum with the pictures being on my laptop and not a server where there is a url to link to.

Tundra,
If you will follow these directions exactly, it is very easy to post pictures on our forums. One of our moderators, 1492, developed this photo posting app to post your pictures. It works for other internet sites also. There is no need to have a separate hosting site for your pictures in order to use it.

It is very simple to use.
1. Upload your picture from your computer to the app.
2. Copy the resulting URL.
3. Paste that URL into your post

without ANY changes

. No additions or deletions.

Your picture will then appear in your post and be properly sized for use on our forums.:)
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just where is that national infrastructure bill they keep talking about. Oh yeah, they are just talking about it.

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

CaLBaR
Explorer
Explorer
Tundra2084 wrote:
Just an update on our fiver. The 5er has been sitting on the lot of a repair shop waiting for the insurance company to get their hands off their butts to send someone out to show us where the manufacturers defect is. After many phone calls they agreed to have the wall removed inside at OUR expense unless they agree to the repairs. Well the wall is open and there is NO damage to the structure of the rv. As a matter of fact,the wall studs are metal and are the biggest ones we have seen in an RV. The studs are about 6 inches wide and there is no damage or broken welds in the area of the large crack. So now its yet another waiting game to see what excuses they come up with to get out of paying our claim, which is over $10,000.

Which repair shop do you have the 5ver at. We are in Waterloo and drive to Florida a couple of times a year. Know that some of the roads are really bad and sometimes surprised but grateful never had damage like that.

Rob
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
Tundra2084 wrote:
I have no idea how to post a picture on this forum with the pictures being on my laptop and not a server where there is a url to link to.

Go to this site and you can drag. Drop pictures.
Photo site