Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Damaged RV on roads on way home from Florida, anyone else?.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Damaged RV on roads on way home from Florida, anyone else?.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
1320Fastback

Vista, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/19 04:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were at a dog show in Louisville Kentucky earlier this year and our RV neighbor was from Florida and they said they had three blowouts on the way up and then two on the way home. They ended up texting us to tell us that as I helped them change two of their tires and we became acquaintances so they just kept us filled in.

1992 D250 Cummins, 5spd, 4"' straight piped, sensors deleted, airbags, DAP injectors, 18cm.

RCMAN46

NorthWest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/19 04:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Several years ago while going from Flagstaff to Albuquerque I had an axle collapse. It was replaced by Lippert but it was due to some very bad chuck holes that I could not miss due to the size of the chuck holes a very heavy truck traffic.

[image]

bob213

Fresno, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/19 07:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Talked to a couple in New Orleans that had their dash fall off their new motorhome due to the violent bouncing coming thru Texas on way to LA. Just did a 6000 mile trip and the roads are terrible to say the least. One blowout on TV and a broken windshield. Who knows whats cracked or compromised underneath... The trailer looked liked a tornado had hit the inside every time we stopped.

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/19 07:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Preaching to the choir. I live in Michigan, home of the worst roads in the country. I've never had a blowout or anything fail because I don't drive fast on bad roads and there is always the berm to avoid those big whoppers.

What I find amazing is, I live on a bad road (potholes) and people insist on driving fast. I listen to them go by, suspensions clanging, springs protesting but they keep right on hauling butt, have to get somewhere important like home to a cold beer.

I rarely drive over 55 with my RV and always allow enough room in front of me to avoid the holes. It's vacation, not the Indy 500. In a hurry, go around. I'm in the slow lane for a reason. Besides the minimum allowable speed on any Interstate in the US is 45 mph.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

southernsky

Ponchatoula La.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/19 07:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Speaking of bike trails, traveling on I-84 through Washington state they are building a hell of a bike trail along the interstate. Wonder where the money came from for it...

2019 Ram 3500 Laramie DRW Crew Cab 6.7 H.O. CTD 4X4
2016 Grand Design Solitude 369RL

chuckbear

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/19 08:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just did a trip from Florida to Maryland and back. I95 is bad in Georgia and terrible in South Carolina. Virginia is hit and miss. At times I wait for the cabinets to be shaken off the walls and everything to fall apart. We just added new Bilstein shocks and it does not seem to matter. In EVERY state the bridge to road transitions are a disaster and the bridge decks are a mess. Unfortunately, we have found this to be the case in most states we have traveled, with Louisiana being the worst and California second. Chuck

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/19 09:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I remember reading a post on here several years ago, about a guy who would take I-5 with his FW and run at the posted 55 for trailers in the left lane because the right lane(s) were so bad. He figured that he could argue that it was a safety issue due to the lousy conditions of the road surface and it was =safer= than running 45-50 in the right lanes. [emoticon] AFAIK, he never got a ticket.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 61 Year Member

Njmurvin

Simi Valley

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/19 01:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Coming south on Interstate 5 through California returning from a trip to Oregon, the roads were just awful. After I got home, I noticed some abnormal wear on two of the tires (opposite sides). I ended up taking it to a truck alignment place to have the axes bent back into alignment. And I replaced all 4 tires with GY Endurance.

2004.5 Dodge 3500 4x4 Laramie SWB QuadCab CTD, 48RE (auto), Putco Boss Bars, Pullrite Superglide, LineX, Prodigy, PacBrake

2011 Arctic Fox 27-5L

1320Fastback

Vista, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/19 01:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bob213 wrote:

Talked to a couple in New Orleans that had their dash fall off their new motorhome due to the violent bouncing coming thru Texas on way to LA. Just did a 6000 mile trip and the roads are terrible to say the least. One blowout on TV and a broken windshield. Who knows whats cracked or compromised underneath... The trailer looked liked a tornado had hit the inside every time we stopped.

We went from San Antonio to New Orleans and I broke a shock on my truck. The bottom of the shock tore free of the A arm from all the bouncing. Must of been one heck of a bounce than completely unloaded the tire.

larry barnhart

wenatchee. wa usa

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/19 01:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

southernsky wrote:

Speaking of bike trails, traveling on I-84 through Washington state they are building a hell of a bike trail along the interstate. Wonder where the money came from for it...

I-84 would be in Oregon.

chevman

chevman
2001 35 ft avalon alpenlite RK
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy
easyrider/reese airhitch
trailair center point suspension
JT Strong Arm Stabilizers
KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Damaged RV on roads on way home from Florida, anyone else?.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS