Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Damaged RV on roads on way home from Florida, anyone else?.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Damaged RV on roads on way home from Florida, anyone else?.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/19 05:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 2 worst roads in our recent retired travels;

I95 southbound in SC southern end of the state.
I10 eastbound from El Paso to the Louisiana border. WB probably just as bad.
I'm thinking of switching over to secondary roads. Our last big trip broke springs.
I pity the soldiers spines if the interstate hwy system is ever used for what it was intended.

2005 Cummins 2500 2WD LB quad cab pulling a 2007 Jayco 345bhs. It pulls better than Marcell Ledbetter's mule.

SugarHillCTD

Sugar Hill, NH, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/19 06:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In keeping with this topic, has anyone installed equipment from Roadmaster to handle these crappy roads?

This shock kit

https://roadmasterinc.com/products/travel_trailers/comfort_ride_sa.html

or this slipper spring kit

https://roadmasterinc.com/products/travel_trailers/comfort_ride_ss.html

Of course Roadmaster recommends installing both but that would be $1500 for the parts.

Any thoughts folks?

John & Cathy
'12 Chevy 2500HD CC 4x4 sb
'16 Cougar 25RKS w/ Andersen rail mount
'13 Eagle Cap 850 (sold). B4 that a few other TCs and a TT

ramyankee

North Idaho/Kootenai Country

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/19 08:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last year heading towards 395 from 299 in Northeast California road construction took out our overhead lighting above the dinette. It was incredibly rough. The surface before the construction started was bad enough but wow.
I had to slow to a crawl through the construction zone and one clown honked at us and passed us...
Our trip through there in April was SMOOTH.

Rick and Patti ">
2 Proud CONSERVATIVES ">
2002 Chevy Silverado, 8.1, Crew, LB, 3.73, 4X4
2016 Keystone Cougar 284RDB
Now living in North Idaho (formerly Northeastern California) ... but the heart is with MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/19 08:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I made my own mounts and installed shocks, it was some help in ride and handling. No matter what you do, you can't make potholes go away. Adding shocks will actually cause the tire to absorb more of the energy when hitting a sharp bump/hole, there is just a trade-off of where that energy goes and none of it is good.

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/19 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SidecarFlip wrote:

Preaching to the choir. I live in Michigan, home of the worst roads in the country. I've never had a blowout or anything fail because I don't drive fast on bad roads and there is always the berm to avoid those big whoppers.

What I find amazing is, I live on a bad road (potholes) and people insist on driving fast. I listen to them go by, suspensions clanging, springs protesting but they keep right on hauling butt, have to get somewhere important like home to a cold beer.

I rarely drive over 55 with my RV and always allow enough room in front of me to avoid the holes. It's vacation, not the Indy 500. In a hurry, go around. I'm in the slow lane for a reason. Besides the minimum allowable speed on any Interstate in the US is 45 mph.

Lucky you. I am 71 , 56 years of driving , and had my first tire failure or flat out on the highway this past winter. IMO due to the chuckholes on a Arizona road. I invite you to come on out ,and see if you can avoid all of them, and the traffic, and no berm to bail out on. 55 you say, good luck here not getting run over.

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/19 08:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

laknox wrote:

I remember reading a post on here several years ago, about a guy who would take I-5 with his FW and run at the posted 55 for trailers in the left lane because the right lane(s) were so bad. He figured that he could argue that it was a safety issue due to the lousy conditions of the road surface and it was =safer= than running 45-50 in the right lanes. [emoticon] AFAIK, he never got a ticket.

Lyle

Have done the same thing on I-10 and parts of 93,95 in Arizona. Some stretches it does not matter, going to get beat up .

ChuckV1

Rochester WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/19 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were on the Indiana toll road last year, the road was a mess an I told the toll gate operator I would be ashamed to work for a company that charged for such a bad road ... The back roads in Ohio an Indiana even thought they are two lane highways in most case's are far better than the interstates an that were we travel most of the time ...

Out west here the interstates for the most part are ok till you get near the big cities an then they get pretty bad ... You can tell what counties spend money on road maintenance for sure an which spend money on paying their own wage's at the top level ...

If you really want to get mad, think about every semi you see driving down the road, they pay fuel tax an tax on every mile that truck runs across an all the tolls if they drive on the toll roads ... When I sold my semi I was paying forty two cents a mile for every mile that truck ran empty or loaded plus road tax in every state which was different, so add that up along with the tax on gas you pay at the pump along with fuel/diesel tax you pay, talk about a cash cow Ugh !!!

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/19 10:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When you buy diesel for your truck you are paying that road tax.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

ivbinconned

highway 16

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/19 10:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve written here about this too. If there is one thing that would stop us from dragging our FW south it’s the lousy highways. But that’s exactly what the greeny left wants.
Coming up through California to Seattle I pulled in centre lane at 70 mph.
Not going to hold anyone back or get in the way of merging traffic

Ram and 34 ft Cedar Creek

ivbinconned

highway 16

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/19 10:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One thing that our Canadian/Saskatchewan Auto Association does every year is run a contest to nominate the worst road in the province. In an effort to raise awareness and embarrass government.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Damaged RV on roads on way home from Florida, anyone else?.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS