Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing with Jeep Wrangler

Menanlg
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to figure out if I can safely tow a travel trailer with my 2018 Wrangler 4 door. Looking at a small trailer with bunk beds for the kids.

I feel like the trailers below are too much to handle for my Jeep ๐Ÿ˜ž

Any help is much appreciated.

2018 Jeep Wrangler specs:

Weight | Towing Capacity | Max Payload
4015 lbs | 3500 lbs | 1310 lbs

Trailers I'm looking at:

2019 COACHMEN VIKING ULTRA LITE 17BH

โ€ข Length: 21 ft
โ€ข Dry Weight: 2,952 lbs

2019 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 174BHW
โ€ข Length: 21.5 ft
โ€ข Dry Weight: 2,935 lbs
20 REPLIES 20

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Huntindog wrote:
Menanlg wrote:
Thank you all for the help.

I will not be getting of the trailers I mentioned, I might look into a hybrid.

Does the tire type/size matter when towing? I have 35 inch tires.
Well that changes things.... For the worse.
As tough as those tires make the Jeep look.... Reality is that they are an added stress to the jeep. The manufacturers ratings are now worthless. They need to be reduced... A LOT.

Yeah, look at the powerwagon vs the 2500 it's based on, less than half the payload capacity because the off-road suspension and big tires make it basically worthless for hauling or towing.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
There is a reason more people tow Wranglers, than tow with Wranglers. And with 35 inch tires? I'd be looking at popups.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
afidel wrote:
camp-n-family wrote:
Dry weights donโ€™t include options, propane or batteries etc. With those added youโ€™ll be at your tow rating before putting anything in the trailer. Unfortunately Jeeps donโ€™t make for good tow vehicles on anything bigger than a pop up.

I had a neighbor who tried what youโ€™re considering. After 1 tow he started using his Caravan to tow with instead.

According to the federal standard the weight on the yellow sticker is to include battery, full propane tanks, spare tire if included and all factory installed equipment. In addition if the dealer installs equipment increasing the weight by more than 5% they are to install a new updated sticker. Now the yellow weight can and might vary from the "brochure weight", but that's up to the manufacturer, my trailer was within tens of pounds of the brochure weight.

This is true if the OP is looking at a trailer on the lot and its actual yellow sticker. Most people when shopping are looking at brochures which tend to have substantially lighter โ€œdry weightsโ€ that donโ€™t tend include the above. Another sales tactic that gets the uninformed into trouble, much like 1/2 ton trucks with 12k tow ratings.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Menanlg wrote:

Well that changes things.... For the worse.
As tough as those tires make the Jeep look.... Reality is that they are an added stress to the jeep. The manufacturers ratings are now worthless. They need to be reduced... A LOT.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
softer rubber will hurt your towing. the soft tires with high sidewalls are not what you want for this. given your situation please take a long look at either a low profile popup or an upgraded tow vehicle.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

Menanlg
Explorer
Explorer

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I hate to be discouraging, but this is not safe. The two biggest problems are (1) the big tail wagging the little dog, and (2) braking. A Wrangler can pull anything. But it can't stop everything.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
I cannot comment on actual towing with a Jeep, because Iโ€™ve never done it.
Numbers however, are another story.
Both those campers will be over 400# tongue weight when ready to go. With a weight distribution system, real close to 500#.
That leaves you with about 800# for you, your family and anything else you put in there. You will probably be close to max.
I would be concerned with the Jeepโ€™s tow rating because you will be at max or over.
I would not want to be at max on both those weights at the same time, pulling a sail through the air.

If you want to keep the Jeep, you will probably have to set your sights a little lower. You could also go to a Jeep forum to get opinions from people who have actual experience towing with one.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
twodownzero wrote:
Nobody has mentioned it, but the wheelbase of a Jeep, even the 4 door, is not safe for towing. It is as short or shorter than a regular cab/shortbed pickup. That is not good!
This is what I was going to add. The Jeep may also have tires that are not that great for highway towing. Have seen a few Jeeps towing a small R-pod and as is common, WDHs were clearly not adjusted properly.

'Course, a Hensley WDH will make it all good... :R

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
camp-n-family wrote:
Dry weights donโ€™t include options, propane or batteries etc. With those added youโ€™ll be at your tow rating before putting anything in the trailer. Unfortunately Jeeps donโ€™t make for good tow vehicles on anything bigger than a pop up.

I had a neighbor who tried what youโ€™re considering. After 1 tow he started using his Caravan to tow with instead.

According to the federal standard the weight on the yellow sticker is to include battery, full propane tanks, spare tire if included and all factory installed equipment. In addition if the dealer installs equipment increasing the weight by more than 5% they are to install a new updated sticker. Now the yellow weight can and might vary from the "brochure weight", but that's up to the manufacturer, my trailer was within tens of pounds of the brochure weight.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
Nobody has mentioned it, but the wheelbase of a Jeep, even the 4 door, is not safe for towing. It is as short or shorter than a regular cab/shortbed pickup. That is not good!

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
pop up or time to trade in
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
Time to look for another vehicle

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
You need about half of the trailer you are looking at, or twice the tow vehicle.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB