cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replace 12-volt Costar CO Alarm

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Didn't realize we had a CO alarm in our 2004 Tioga26Q. Old Costar 12RV-D started chirping long past it's expiration date. Sure enough, Quantum Group Inc is out of business and you can't get a drop-in replacement for a round type Costar Model 12RV-D. I found a 12 volt rectangular Safe T Alert detector on CW's website, for $60.05 that would work and called the La Mirada store to make sure they had them in stock. I battled traffic to CW in La Mirada and found the item on the rack, but the in-store price was over $80. The young lady cashier asked if I was a member, I said not currently. She said a one year membership is now $29 and that with a membership I could get close to the website price. There was no mention of membership needed on the website. Anyway, I told the lady to forget it and that I would not buy from CW anymore. I will call around to other local RV supply stores that don't require membership and find a suitable CO detector.
9 REPLIES 9

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
I finally ordered a 9v battery powered BRK First Alert CO250 RVA carbon monoxide alarm from Boat Store USA by phone. Boat Store USA has a lot of items for RV'ers at decent prices.

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks bobnot, didn't realize that 12 volt alarms drew that much current. Non-hardwired battery power and frequent testing sounds like an acceptable alternative.

With thousands of RV's, it's surprising that the choice of hardwired 12-volt RVIA "approved" alarms is so limited.

I may be out of step with the trends in online marketing but being "forced" to pay for a "membership" to buy stuff gets my goat.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bordercollie wrote:
Yup, I wanted to install a hard-wired 12 volt "RV-type" CO alarm but battery powered ones are a lot cheaper. I get the impression that there was something special about CO alarms designed for RV use(?)

The 'something special' is that they use 12v battery power to the tune of up to an amp per hour. Its also RVIA code to have them hard-wired AFAIK.
I installed a toggle on mine and flip it on/off as needed. I also have a battery type that I use when boondocking for multiple days, to save my battery power. The only 12v draw I have is my fridge running on gas.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
When mine quit and a replacement wasn't available I did a lot of research and came up with a combination unit and replaced both of mine.

The Kidde Unit fits the bill.10 year life span.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Bordercollie wrote:
Yup, I wanted to install a hard-wired 12 volt "RV-type" CO alarm but battery powered ones are a lot cheaper. I get the impression that there was something special about CO alarms designed for RV use(?)

Well, they're powered by 12V power, rather than a separate battery or 120V AC power.

They're probably spec'd to operate over a wider temperature range than household CO alarms, but I'm not sure that's a significant requirement in practice. You're not likely to be spending your time in the RV when it's freezing or super hot inside, which would generally be when it is in storage somewhere. The (household) battery powered smoke/CO combo detectors I have in my RV give false alarms in very very cold conditions; my solution is to remove the batteries when it's closed up for the winter...and, of course, reinstall them before I go camping.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Try Amazon. All kinds listed there.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I picked up an extra CO alarm at our local Menard's store (similar to Lowes or Home Depot.) They had a variety of battery powered alarms from $20 to $50.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Your actions are certainly your right. However, was the decision not to join and buy an emotional decision or a financial decision? CW isn’t alone on web prices, store prices and member store prices. And the store lady did what? Bet she followed policy and didn’t report anything. It’s a new world and you’re in it whether you like it or not.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad