cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV-Dump parking sloping the wrong way

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
Having just returned from a 4-week trip, once again we found that most RV dumps have the same problem: the area where you park your RV does not slope the right way to provide a complete dump. Have you had that experience?
30 REPLIES 30

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Everyone has their own challenges in dealing with poorly designed dump stations. I have never seen anyone using leveling jacks to compensate for slope. If I were in line behind somebody taking up time trying to get the last drop out I would not be very pleased.

I often have to wonder if the designer of the dump area has ever seen a RV let alone used one. Dumps are often anything but level. They slope forward. They slope to the rear. They slope left & right. They are put in a turn making it difficult if not impossible to get where your discharge close to the dump. Not everyone has the same system with detatchable hoses. Some have a system where the hose is permanently connected & additional hose cannot be used.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Everywhere I dump is not quite the right way. I have enough slope to the bottom of my tanks that it isn't a problem.

I have more trouble with the fact that the dump stations are surrounded by gravel. When unhooking the hose, after dumping, there is always a few drops of liquid that escapes. After awhile the gravel near the dump station becomes a wet hole.

Kinda gross really if you think about it.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
hedgehopper wrote:
Why are we concerned about getting a complete dump?

When we are on the road, dump stations are sometimes hard to find. When we do not get a complete dump, we have to look for another dump station a day or two sooner than we would have if we had gotten a complete dump. We would rather spend our time traveling, not looking for dump stations and dumping.

Unless you are dumping on the side of a mountain, I can't imagine that you are leaving more than 5 gallons of water inside your tanks. How small are your tanks? Mine are 46 gallons. I can go 2 weeks before I "have" to dump my black tank, and that's a family of 4...

You've taught your family well on how to use an RV toilet system. We've taught our grandkids and we can stretch and bring back a lot of fresh water too.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
SDcampowneroperator wrote:
NFPA 1194 is a guideline for design and construction. It does not address other issues such as storm water, splillage as those issues are the authority of the local AHJ.
in my experience and how we built our station is the space the camper is on is level, no curb, but the concrete dump basin is an inch or so higher than camper space, so no excessive storm water can drain into the dump basin.
If a spill should happen outside the basin, its channeled to storm drain.

Also, that sounds like a standard for the actual sewer connection area. Not the pad where vehicles travel.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
hedgehopper wrote:

When we are on the road, dump stations are sometimes hard to find. When we do not get a complete dump, we have to look for another dump station a day or two sooner than we would have if we had gotten a complete dump. We would rather spend our time traveling, not looking for dump stations and dumping.

Unless you are dumping on the side of a mountain, I can't imagine that you are leaving more than 5 gallons of water inside your tanks. How small are your tanks? Mine are 46 gallons. I can go 2 weeks before I "have" to dump my black tank, and that's a family of 4...
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
RVing since 1975. Believe me, there is no shortage of "Polish Sewer" hookups across the US and Canada. Been there, done that scenario! It is the same old story, somebody building something that is totally clueless.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
I only recall once in many years of RV'ing that I ended up at a dump station with enough reverse slope to overcome the bottom slope of the waste tanks. In that case, like Mr Wizard, I just used the right side levelers to bring it up.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

MrWizard
i will use levelers if needed to get level or even slope it toward the dump station

never give it much thought
just did it
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
NFPA 1194 is a guideline for design and construction. It does not address other issues such as storm water, splillage as those issues are the authority of the local AHJ.
in my experience and how we built our station is the space the camper is on is level, no curb, but the concrete dump basin is an inch or so higher than camper space, so no excessive storm water can drain into the dump basin.
If a spill should happen outside the basin, its channeled to storm drain.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Having rear air bags that are inflated independently I lower the left side and pump up the right and get about a 8 % angle to dump if the slope is contrary to what I want to accomplish.

navegator

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
HadEnough wrote:
Iโ€™m curious. A lot of people talk about the solids sticking in one spot in black water tanks. I see it in this thread also. I never have a problem like this. Is it just because my RV is always in motion? Is that more of a campground thing? When you sit at a campground for a long time? In fact, there are almost no solids left ever when I emptied mine. It seems to be all liquid.

For years now, pretty much using this thing full-time, never a single problem with the black water tank. It all just dumps right out every time. I never rinse it. I donโ€™t do anything to it. Just put in the enzymes each time I dump it.

Mostly for campers on permanent sites.

Some people will hook up and leave the valves open...so the liquid runs out leaving the solids behind to pile up and solidify.

If you are moving and using often, you don't tend to get a pyramid of poo under the toilet inlet and if you do the sloshing action tends to break it up.

If you are at a long term site, best to keep the valves closed and only dump when at least 3/4 full. The allows the solids to mostly float, not dry out and the rush of water will pull most of it out.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
folivier wrote:
You shouldn't drain your black tank completely dry unless you are SURE there are no solids left. If there are it could dry into a mess that may not break up later. Better to leave some water in the bottom. If you do drain it completely then run a couple gallons through the toilet so stuff doesn't dry out.
Pass around a few cold drinks to take care of that.

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m curious. A lot of people talk about the solids sticking in one spot in black water tanks. I see it in this thread also. I never have a problem like this. Is it just because my RV is always in motion? Is that more of a campground thing? When you sit at a campground for a long time? In fact, there are almost no solids left ever when I emptied mine. It seems to be all liquid.

For years now, pretty much using this thing full-time, never a single problem with the black water tank. It all just dumps right out every time. I never rinse it. I donโ€™t do anything to it. Just put in the enzymes each time I dump it.