cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question for Class A owners.

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
Giving some thought to eventually moving from my current travel trailer to either a Class A or Class C motorized MH.

One thing that has me perplexed is how are the engines on Class A's repaired? How can mechanics get to the engine for major engine work?
It seems as if the MH is literally built over and around the engine.

Are special repair facilities needed? I doubt you can go to your local Ford dealer in the case of a Ford chassis Class A gasser.

Thanks for any information.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch
14 REPLIES 14

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Access under bed,rear hatch under coach

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
Do not mean to steal the thread but putting the battery in the trunk is an old hot rod trick to get better front to rear balance.

rgatijnet1 wrote:
Have you worked on a new automobile recently???
I don't mean to be flippant but the new automobiles have so much stuff under the hood that it is impossible to see the engine without removing a lot of items. On both my Chevy and Chrysler, the space under the hood is so cramped that both of them have the battery in the trunk because there is no room under the hood in the engine compartment.
Motor homes are cramped for some repairs, and easy for others. If you go to a shop that specializes in RV, they will take care of you. Many medium and large truck shops will work on RV's. Motor homes have their own unique challenges, but so do the new vehicles that are on the road. The fact is that any problem can be taken care of. Some issues just take a little longer. :B
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
The newer F53’s need to have the front axle removed then the engine and trans are lowered out. That is for major engine work. Anything else can be done in chassis. Not sure on DP’s.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Atlee wrote:
Giving some thought to eventually moving from my current travel trailer to either a Class A or Class C motorized MH.

One thing that has me perplexed is how are the engines on Class A's repaired? How can mechanics get to the engine for major engine work?
It seems as if the MH is literally built over and around the engine.

Are special repair facilities needed? I doubt you can go to your local Ford dealer in the case of a Ford chassis Class A gasser.

Ours is a Cat in a Freightliner chassis.
Access to the top of the engine and most of the engine and cooling is easy but though a hatch below our bed.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had to drop the engine on my Porsche 930 just to change the spark plugs. If there's a will there's a way. That said, most engines are not difficult to work on. Mine has access hatches that allow easy access to most all of the engine. There's an access hatch in the closet and in the bedroom by the bed for the front 'stuff'. Everything else can be accessed thru the back as I have a side radiator. Sometimes you gotta disassemble stuff to get where you wanna go...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
It all depends on the MH and the MEchanic. For example I know of one who basically dissassembled the front end of the RV and lifted the engine out.

Mine lifted the RV. Dropped the front axle and LOWERED the engine out.

(Had to replace engine. the most major repair).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

js218
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to check out some Super C rvs.
2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

bobkatmsu
Explorer
Explorer
If you go with a DP, highly recommend one with a side radiator. No only does it get less dirty on the side, but it is out of the way when repairs have to be made. If you have a rear radiator you have to remove it just to change a belt. Cost you $1000 just to change a belt in labor. Side radiator is the way to go.
2010 Newmar Dutch Star DP
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Atlee wrote:

One thing that has me perplexed is how are the engines on Class A's repaired? How can mechanics get to the engine for major engine work? It seems as if the MH is literally built over and around the engine.

The stock Ford F53 doesn't usually need much major engine work, however, it does happen. I find myself "under" the MH for most common maintenance items where access room is very generous because of the high ground clearance. (oil/filter changes, electrical wiring, lighting, transmission service, brakes, etc.) Most of the common repair items (belts, hoses, fluids, spark plugs/wires, injectors, fuses, relays, sensors, etc.) are relatively easy to get to through the exterior hood and/or the interior doghouse. IMO, the F53 is probably easier than most other Ford counterparts like the Econoline Van or the F series trucks. Since the F53 is a heavy duty truck chassis, the components are generally heavier and larger (and dirtier) than their automotive counterparts but I don't generally find it to be an issue getting things repaired and/or keeping them maintained. An adequate selection of hand tools is always a plus.

Chum lee

Edit: You should always call ahead first if/when you decide to go to a Ford dealer. Not all Ford automotive dealers have sufficient clearance at the doors/ceilings inside the shop nor can all the lifts handle the size/weight of Class A's. Not all dealers have qualified truck techs either. Your chances are better at Ford Truck dealers, but some of them just "HATE" RV's and refuse to work on them unless you're willing to wait . . . . . oh . . . . say 3 months for an appointment. Some are more than willing to help you ASAP.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
The bed platform lifts up on my Sahara allowing access to just about everything. I can also get to the entire driver's side of the engine from the area behind the generator bay. The chassis shop at the RV store I work at has 4 electric wheel lifts that can raise the coach a couple of feet to allow the tech to get under for lubing and oil changes. Cummins and Detroits with the side radiators allow access to almost the entire engine from the back doors.

I think it's harder to get at some of the gasser engines for service than it is a diesel pusher. Member fulltiming did a complete rebuild of an old gasser in this thread. I think he did pull the engine somewhere in the 400 pages of pictures and text.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
The only real challenge comes if for whatever reason they need to pull the engine. I’ve seen them go through the driver door (if there is one) or have to remove the windshield.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Have you worked on a new automobile recently???
I don't mean to be flippant but the new automobiles have so much stuff under the hood that it is impossible to see the engine without removing a lot of items. On both my Chevy and Chrysler, the space under the hood is so cramped that both of them have the battery in the trunk because there is no room under the hood in the engine compartment.
Motor homes are cramped for some repairs, and easy for others. If you go to a shop that specializes in RV, they will take care of you. Many medium and large truck shops will work on RV's. Motor homes have their own unique challenges, but so do the new vehicles that are on the road. The fact is that any problem can be taken care of. Some issues just take a little longer. :B

Bruce_Brown
Inside there is a removable "dog house" on gassers. It usually offers decent access, sometimes great access - better than many other vehicles.

On a diesel pusher there is typically the rear closet floor doubles as an access hatch as well. A side radiator model allows awesome access from the rear as well. A rear radiator not-so-much.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

phil-t
Explorer
Explorer
Any vehicle presents it's own particular repair requirements. Front engine Class As (like the Ford 53) is no different. Just find a repair facility that works on them (there are many). I do my own mechanic work on my F53 and find things relatively easy. Either from underneath or remove the engine cover and work from the top.
2014 Allegro 36LA