Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Length and Height
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Length and Height

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
tem3000

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/19 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi all, first post here.

I'm looking to buy a used 5er, gussy it up, and hit the road later this year. I've been lurking here and elsewhere for ages to be as prepared as I can, but there's one question I still have.

I'm a relatively short guy so I'm not worried about the height in the bedroom, but I am concerned about having as much sense of space as possible in the rig since I'll be travelling for extended periods.

My question then is what manufacturers tend to have not just high interiors but the most level roof lines. So far, I've been looking at Alfa's from 2000-2008 or so because they seem to have the highest ceilings, the tallest slides, and a roof line that looks straight/flat all the way from the front of the bedroom to the very back. Anyone out there have or know of an Alfa that can confirm this?

Since that seems consistent across all Alfa's - at least during that period - I thought I'd check in here to see if people know of particular manufacturers that have a reputation for the same sort of things, high ceilings and level roof lines. I'm guessing not all manufacturers are as consistent as Alfa seems to be, but I thought I'd take a stab anyway!

I did a search for this topic on the forum and didn't find anything other than a thread about tall people and bedroom heights. If this is a duplicate, apologies and please point me to the thread!

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/15/19 10:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never seen this question before, so far as I know most fivers have about the same room height with the exception of the bedroom. After all they are mainly about 13ft to 13'6" in height, so the rooms are all about the same.

As for the flat roof, again something I've never seen asked. The roofs are all easily walk-able why are you concerned about that? You need some slope on the roof to promote drainage.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/15/19 11:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You don't say what size range of fifth wheel you are considering... 28ft, 42ft, or something in between? We full-time in a Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (36', 14,000 lbs. GVWR). I'm 5'11" and have never felt claustrophobic in the rig (and I tend to get that way in small spaces). The RV has the typical higher roof at the front tapering off toward the rear. This is to accommodate the bedroom and bathroom what are elevated by three steps above the main living area. I have full walk-around headroom in the bedroom and bathroom and have to stand on tip-toes to touch the ceiling in most of the living area. We have spent time snowed in and times when the 100 degree temps limit our outside time without feeling confined. I'm wondering what you're worried about.

Rob

U.S. Army retired
2016 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MOR/ryde independent suspension, disc brakes, LR G tires
PullRite OE 18K, Demco Glide Ride pin box
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

tem3000

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/19 12:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm afraid I used shorthand. It's my husband who is worried about it feeling spacious enough.

I've come very close to convincing him that our retirement shall be on the road. However. We first went down the tiny house path and went to a show, touring all kinds of houses. His response was something like, "No way. It feels like a bowling alley in here. The bigger ones feel like a longer bowling alley." Fair enough. So I started looking at TT's then eventually 5th wheels, largely because of the (generally) higher ceilings. And of course the slides counter the bowling alley effect. I persuaded him to go to an RV show. We toured all kinds of TT's and 5ers. The 5ers where the only things that came close. He said he just wished the ceilings didn't taper so much at the back.

I thought this was all waaaaaay too much for an initial post, hence the shorthand.

So, essentially, I'm looking for something I can show him and say, "See? The ceilings look pretty high, and they remain that way until (just before?) the very end." He's actually come around to the travelling retirement, he's just holding out for something he has more confidence in that he won't feel confined.

Second Chance, from what you and others have written, I'm absolutely convinced he'd feel at home easily. I know I sure am. It's just getting him in the darn thing.

Thank you both for responding.

BTW, I'm looking in the 28'-34' area.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/15/19 03:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My prediction, inside of two weeks he'll never notice the ceiling again.

tem3000

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/19 04:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree! I'm not noticing when we're inside of one already.
You and I know that. But in order to clinch (cinch?) the mobile retirement deal, I have to break down every barrier he tosses out. And convincing him that we're getting a 5th wheel with the undeniably, most consistently high ceilings on the market (!) will be the last one! That's why I'm paying so much attention to that aspect.

ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/15/19 07:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure how many 5ers are on the market nowadays that have a flat roof from front to back. However, as I'm writting this, there are some and I think those w/ either a front living room w/ elevated rear BR or vice-versa will have flat roofs. Want to say too that I've seen some w/ front BR and flat roofs all the way w/ rear LR. Makes for a tall inside room where a lil step ladder is needed to get to cabinets.. Friends of ours have a early 2000 something FR 5er (discontinued line) that has the flat roof/front BR layout and man it's tall inside. Not positive, but what about the Vanleigh line of 5ers?

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

tem3000

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/19 08:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Excellent, I'll look at those, thank you. And since I'm looking at oldies, I'll check out the Forest Rivers and see which ones might have the flat lines. Thanks again.

ChuckV1

Rochester WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/19 10:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with the OP, we owned a 2006 Coachmen Cappy an the roof was high except the bedroom which was still high enough to walk around in without banging your head an I'm 5ft 8inches tall ...

Allot of trailers now day do not look like the are slanted but if you look closely you will see that they slant toward the back somewhat for drainage ...

We bought a Kz G384RLT ( https://www.kz-rv.com/products/durango-gold-fifth-wheels/G384RLT.html ) two years ago which has three slides, the door in the main slide not on the side of the trailer which gives us more room ... The kids stated that the trailer inside when opened up is bigger than their first apartment an we have a ton of cabinet space along with higher cabinets ...

Happy Hunting an if buying a unit look for a Post Delivery Inspection (PDI) list to go buy so you are a informed buyer, here is one I made up on the Kz Family Form ( http://kzfamilyforum.com/thread/1903/pdi-list )

Safe travels [emoticon]

ol Bombero-JC

USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/19 12:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you ever had an RV (of any type) before?

If not - maybe you should encourage a "trial run" for a weekend (or?) in a rental. ("Try before you buy")

You won't be able to rent a 5th wheel - but lots of Class C (Motor Home) rentals available.

The flat roof is pretty much a non-issue for 5th wheels. The "slope" is really to compensate for the higher ceiling in the bedrooms - drainage is a secondary "benefit".

You will find most TTs have flat roofs.

~

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Length and Height
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS