Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Length and Height
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Length and Height

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
tem3000

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/19 04:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, thank you, that's sooooo helpful. I've been looking for something like a PDI list but didn't know what to call it. That's incredibly comprehensive and helps newbies like me who can't trust instinct on anything and don't even know what to look for.

Good point about having a trial run. I'll look into it. The ceilings of the TT's we visited were were way too low for my husband, flat or not.

Based on your responses, I feel like I'm making an issue out of a non-issue.I'm guessing that I just need to keep looking and step inside more until one feels just right. Thank you all for your help and perspectives.

Michelle.S

Western NY till fall, then Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/19 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I the Hubby as issues with the ceilings, I would stay away from Front Living Room floor plans as that makes your main living area in the nose where ceiling height is approx 6'6". Many of the Rear Living Room floor plans even have a Ceiling Fan to give you an idea of how high the ceilings are.
Alot will depend on what your budget is and your length limit may cramp your style. We started out with a 35' unit and while it was big enough we had very little counter space.

2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

DavinD

Litchfield Park, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/19 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The terms used in trailers are.

Full Profile - these are the ones where the roof is straight across giving you the maximum height in the back of the trailers. Usually associated with high-end and expensive (usually)

Mid Profile - Just like it sounds somewhere in the middle

Low Profile - These are the ones with the lowest ceiling. Usually cheaper brands.

That being said, this isn't usually listed in the marketing material, but the salesperson usually knows.

2018 Coachman Chaparral 381RD

TV - 2013 Ford F350 Diesel SRW 4x4 Short Bed

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/19 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a Bighorn elite series. All the Bighorn model ending in el have straight high roof lines. If you want to winter in Arizona, Texas or Florida RV resorts, then you you should be aware of the 10 year age rule that is on the books of most RV resorts in the snowbird areas. It is not always applied, but it is there to keep shabby and/or older units out.

[image]

[image]

2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Commuter trailer 2019 Laredo 225MK. Retired and enjoying it!

tem3000

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/19 11:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry so slow to respond. Learning about the language of profiles helps a lot. I'll be checking out Bighorns, more Alfas, etc.

I didn't know about the 10 year age rule. I'm actually less worried about the age per se but more about modifications I want to make, like adding a pop-up kinda sorta roof over the bedroom area. And I'm hoping to add a long fold-down porch, door side, with poles holding up an awning. I'm worried these things would look peculiar going in and raise some RV part managers' alarm bells. Worse still, what if they let you in, then you popped up the roof and folded out the porch, and *then* were asked to leave!

mtofell1

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/19 10:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At 6'4" I'm definitely sensitive to ceiling height in RVs and this is one of the reasons I love a 5th wheel. I've never noticed (or even considered) a relationship between the outside appearance and the interior ceiling. The main/living area of most 5th wheels is HUGE. The front bedroom areas can be limited, of course. I'd take hubby to an RV show and have him walk through a bunch of different units. I think the whole premise here is a bit off.

ChuckV1

Rochester WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/19 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tem3000

Check-out the KZ line of 5th wheels, they are well built an the price point is darn good for a new trailer, I believe you get more bang for your buck, less what I call bing an more functionality an great customer support ...

As the OP stated there are camp grounds that will not take trailers over 10 years old, we had a Coachmen Chappy that was over 10 yearn an people didn't believe it was that old but looked new because we kept it up ... We only had one camp ground that ask about age an after looking at our Chappy they couldn't believe it an stated that they wished everyone would keep their trailer in that good of shape ...

I am of the mind that if you get the right deal you can buy a new trailer of good quality for the same price as one of the high end trailers an have just as good as a trailer that is used but high end ...

I know owners lover their brands an it like buying a Ford, Chevy or Dodge, you just have to cut thought the BS factor an choose the brand that suits you .... As well the most an I can't say it enough !!!!!!!!! is the dealer you buy your trailer from, bad dealer, bad service an owners start to complain the trailer is bad as well when it's not .... Good dealer an service owners will rave about how good the brand of trailer it is [emoticon]

Good luck an safe travels [emoticon]

Chuck

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/19 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All flat roofed

KZ Durango Gold 353RKT 35Ft
[image]

Jayco Eagle 33.5 BHLT33ft
[image]

Layton 24.5LT 25ft
[image]

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

bpounds

Sophmore Brain...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/19 10:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think hubby is really going to have an issue, or maybe he just isn't onboard with the whole full-timing idea.

Be that as it may, toyhaulers are usually higher in the rear. Opposite of a normal fifth wheel contour. That is so the rear garage area has ceiling height for the toys.

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/19 01:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Edd505 wrote:

All flat roofed

KZ Durango Gold 353RKT 35Ft
[image]

Jayco Eagle 33.5 BHLT33ft
[image]

Layton 24.5LT 25ft
[image]

NO.... they are not.. Those look to have the normal " pitched roof line" front to back, and flat side to side..

the term "flat roof" I believe in the case is front to back... My fiver's roof is the same height front to back...

Me-Her-the kids
2015 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Length and Height
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS