cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Death Wobble lawsuit

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.thedrive.com/news/28531/jeep-wrangler-owners-file-class-action-lawsuit-against-fca-over-death-wobble
-jbh-
7 REPLIES 7

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
mnoeltne wrote:
Most death wobble that I have seen, is on higher mileage vehicles. Wear on the steering components is one of the main causes I've seen.

I would agree the only time I experienced a death wobble was on a 64 Ford Econoline with a straight front axle, it was bad King Pins.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

mnoeltne
Explorer
Explorer
Most death wobble that I have seen, is on higher mileage vehicles. Wear on the steering components is one of the main causes I've seen.
Mark & Joyce Noeltner
2005 Fleetwood Fiesta 26Y
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
Very interesting. It is certainly not a vibration. A vibration I can deal with, death wobble is just that, the Jeep will sway back and forth violently. Usually it goes away if you slow down...but if it has death wobble, there is something that needs to be changed or adjusted in the front end. The issue of death wobble is not really a single component. Steering dampener may start to wear our just as one tire is a little out of balance along with a touch of ball joint wear....and then the day one hits a pot hole just right and it will wobble....nature of a body on frame solid front axle vehicle. Death wobble is not anything new to the off road crowd.

WW
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
This lawsuit has nothing to do with Wrangler's being used as a toad. The lawsuit is about a steering shake when being DRIVEN.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Not all Wranglers have the issue. And yes itโ€™s a problem with solid front axle vehicles. The biggest issue is toe out which really affects it. One tire want to go one way, and the other tire wants to go the other. Resulting in back and forth which gets worse and worse. Usually setting the toe to zero or 1/8โ€-3/16โ€ toe in will stop it!
But to say an owner should be told about it is wrong. Thatโ€™s like saying if the car blows up because it had gas in it the manuf should warn people when buying it! Oh wait all that safety information about handling differently is on the sun visor or in the owner manual, which Iโ€™m sure the owners have never read!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Do the new 2020 wranglers have this problem?
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
They should do something about it, but if history is correct, large companies have more money, more time to wait, and more lawyers... Sad but true
Proud father of a US Marine