cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sub 20' Class C - Ford 5.4L 5 Spd or 6.8L 6 Spd

skpiste
Explorer
Explorer
So I am in the process of buying an Adventurer 19RD former rental up in Canada. Wanted something that can handle the cold and this is the closest thing to a Triple E. The only thing it lacks is the brilliant engine heat ported to the holding tanks (although the furnace heats them).

They have 3 years available: 2016, 2017 and 2018. The latter comes with the 6.8 mated to the 6 speed Torqueshift. The 16/17 have the 5.4 w/5 Speed TS. 350 chassis with single rear wheels.
UVW is just shy of 8000 #'s (with fuel if I recall) and GVWR is 10,500. Doubt I will ever load it that heavy but you know how that goes.
QuadVan will be converting it to 4x4 with taller tires etc. 95% of driving will be on flat land with 5% heading to mountainous resorts. Will NEVER tow anything in the Winter and not very likely in the Summer.

So should I spend the extra 8 grand on the 2018 or will a 5.4 be adequate ?

Fuelly is showing the 5.4 to have a significant advantage for MPG:

***Link Removed***
***Link Removed***

I do take these numbers with a pillar of salt but there are quite a few Class C's included.

I have spent a week reading up on the subject and the waters are even muddier. If only I could get the 3.5 EcoBoost we would be done here !

TIA,
Paul

PM
PDX
USA
11 REPLIES 11

roam1
Explorer
Explorer
that 19RD looks nice, similar to a Tioga 18A I had in 1992. where do you find those? I googled but could find very little info.

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 20 ft 2004 Adventurer former rental with the V8. It just has L, 2 and Drive plus the tow/haul switch to turn off overdrive. I have no complaints on its power even in the mountains. Other than tires and brake maintenance it hasnโ€™t been in a garage or RV shop in the 11 years weโ€™ve had it. It has about 115,000 km and no engine difficulties - itโ€™s getting a new serpentine belt next week only because I figure it is probably in the middle of its life with us.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

skpiste
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
Regardless of the engine, I'd prefer the six speed transmission over the five speed any day (though it must be said that $8K is hardly chump change).

The V10 is a nice engine. The V8 is hardly terrible. Either one would probably serve you decently well.

3.5 Eco with the 10 speed would be perfecter but probably not going to fork out for that haha.

PM -----> From Barre BTW...
PM
PDX
USA

skpiste
Explorer
Explorer
pauldub wrote:
The V10 will be much more desirable when you go skiing. If I was going to pony up for the 4WD conversion, the extra cost for the V10 wouldn't be an obstacle.

I'll be ending up in Wenatchee so I guess I can think about retirement later. 4x4 is a must on the Powder Highway.

Appreciate being pushed in the direction I was leaning !

PM
PM
PDX
USA

skpiste
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:
Since you are doing 4x4, I'd go with the V10. It'll have more torque and better gearing for if you leave pavement, or end up towing heavier in the future. And will me much easier to sell if you ever decide to change things up.

The 5.4L advantage gets narrower as profile goes up, since most of the load is from pushing wind. I think the reason you see a huge delta on fuelly is simply that the 5.4L was biased towards van bodies and the V10 is biased towards RVs and box trucks. In fact, with the 6-speed behind the V10, it might get the same fuel economy as the 5.4L with the 5-speed.

I hear ya there. Actually would spend the dough just to get the 6 Speed. The 5.4 can be T-charged or Bank's-ed if I ever needed more guts but having the right gears in the hills is paramount.
Luckily this thing is only 90" wide and sloped so probably not much worse than my Syncro was. Still pushing a brick through the wind tho.

I originally was looking at Coachmen Orion's but the cold weather performance is suspect as is build quality. Pretty sure the Yakima built ADV will take a better beating than any current US Transit rig.
QuadVan John laughed when I said Transits look stupid anyway with their tiny little wheels. Without so much saying so, he agreed.

2018 model is another re-sale point and the interior/exterior was upgraded. Still want to paint it. RV graphics look HIDEOUS !

Thanks,
Paul
PM
PDX
USA

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
Get a rig that will do what you need it to do on the type of trips you actually take. Don't worry about MPG. Just enjoy it.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Regardless of the engine, I'd prefer the six speed transmission over the five speed any day (though it must be said that $8K is hardly chump change).

The V10 is a nice engine. The V8 is hardly terrible. Either one would probably serve you decently well.

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
and, I don't think you can go wrong with having Quad Van do the 4WD conversion.

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
The V10 will be much more desirable when you go skiing. If I was going to pony up for the 4WD conversion, the extra cost for the V10 wouldn't be an obstacle.

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
I agree, the V10 is such an awesome engine. You will really be happy with it's power.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Since you are doing 4x4, I'd go with the V10. It'll have more torque and better gearing for if you leave pavement, or end up towing heavier in the future. And will me much easier to sell if you ever decide to change things up.

The 5.4L advantage gets narrower as profile goes up, since most of the load is from pushing wind. I think the reason you see a huge delta on fuelly is simply that the 5.4L was biased towards van bodies and the V10 is biased towards RVs and box trucks. In fact, with the 6-speed behind the V10, it might get the same fuel economy as the 5.4L with the 5-speed.

You'll probably 11 with the V10, and maybe 12 with the 5.4L

Another advantage of the V10 is the nearly silent idle, in case you need supplementary power or heat.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST